• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wear you hardhats!!!

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Wear your Hard hats Boys and Girls!

I was hit on top of my head by a falling piece of steel, that wieghed 5-10lbs. It was a locktop from on of our railcars, that is normaly welded to the lockbar that is welded to the railcar. We have an open sky policy at our yard, this is soon going to be changed.
pic #1 my head with a 3 inch gash and 5 staples
pic #2 an example of a locktop

With this said just be safe out there!

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,782
  • locktop.jpg
    locktop.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,650

Wolf

Wow. That is scary. You are a very lucky man--could have been a much worse story.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
yes i am, i was not knocked out, i was a little dazzed though. I took today off and am going back to work in the am.

D5G

Man, thats terrible. You are a lucky man for sure. Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Captain Call

Occupation
Operator, Grade Checker
Glad to hear you're alright. I just got whacked the other day by a highlift jack that fell over while I was welding. Broke the helmet (which saved me from getting too hurt) I used to hate wearing a hard hat but after being forced to on some jobs I've gotten used to it. They aren't all that bad really.

hoeman600

Occupation
yellow thingy moverer
glad yer ok. ya know what we say!!! Lesson Learned :eek:

rigandig

Glad you're ok after that Tanka. I had a friend of mine tell me ,years back, that if you are on a jobsite where hard Hats are required, have an injury, and some lawyer gets hold of the information you were'nt wearing your Hard Hat, there's always the possibility of losing an insurance claim. Irregardless if your injury was even related to a head injury or not. I always come out of the truck with Hard hat, Safety Glasses, Safety Vest, Steel Toed Boots, etc. Just not worth the risk or the hassle of arguing with a jobsite safety man. And besides that, I promised "Moma" that if anything ever happened to me she'd be a rich woman. Sure hate to see some sack-a-dirt lawyer get her money.:D

Rigandig

special tool

Glad you're ok after that Tanka. I had a friend of mine tell me ,years back, that if you are on a jobsite where hard Hats are required, have an injury, and some lawyer gets hold of the information you were'nt wearing your Hard Hat, there's always the possibility of losing an insurance claim. Irregardless if your injury was even related to a head injury or not. I always come out of the truck with Hard hat, Safety Glasses, Safety Vest, Steel Toed Boots, etc. Just not worth the risk or the hassle of arguing with a jobsite safety man. And besides that, I promised "Moma" that if anything ever happened to me she'd be a rich woman. Sure hate to see some sack-a-dirt lawyer get her money.:D

Rigandig

Hey, c'mon now...."sack-a-dirt"??
We all know what a huge benefit they are to society - heck they must be. Just look how many of them there are in the yellow pages in your town!!

Where would we be without their immense contributions??:tong

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
Tonka glad you are going to be ok, it is a great remind to wear your hard hat doing even some routine things.

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
:OMG glad your here posting get well soon:drinkup

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
update:

I was off for one day with pay, and i pulled the staples out myself on the 5th day, the Dr said 7-10 days but they were itching like crazy so out came the side cutters! The cut is all healed up now and back to normal!

Thanks for the well wishes guys!

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
Glad you're Ok. and glad your back to work, head injuries are the worst, and easiest to be fatal. I had a nasty experience one time and had to have the top half of my right ear sewn back on but that was because my hardhat kept me from getting brained with a peice of metal like that except mine was pointy end down and poked a hole through the hardhat ( I still got a dimple on the top o' my not so pointy head now and a slight hole where they removed the busted little bits of bone). From that day on I never complained about them and always wore one even if it wasn't required.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Glad you are OK and a good advert for wearing the correct gear. I'm reminded, however, of an old stonemason's writings in which he advocated Not wearing a hardhat when restoring old stone buildings...particularly high walls and arches. His reasoning was thus, the preamble to a large stone falling out above him was a trickle of crushed mortar or small pebbles landing on his head which was the signal to make like a roadrunner. "I'd rather some gravel on my head than a 5 tonne lintel stone on my hardhat" was I believe his motto...even though he knew he should be wearing a hardhat.

Times have changed, and now we wouldn't go into such a situation if a collapse was possible.......but its something I've kept in the back of my mind.

DPete

I thought those staples were stylish, kinda like the threads on a football:D Heh heh , glad you're ok Tonka

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums retinaganshi!

The MSA V Guard is the hard hat I prefer. I prefer the ratchet strap suspension and the full brim version.