1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Wear those face shields

Discussion in 'Safety Issues' started by JD955SC, Nov 11, 2020.

1. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

Coworker was using angle grinder at home under his truck, cutting disk exploded and put four pieces into his eye and he had a real fun time getting them out at the eye surgeon.

DMiller likes this.
  2. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    Hopefully he will have ok sight in that eye, never a reason not to wear a face shield or eye protection.

3. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Many years ago, late 1960's my dad was helping change a bearing on a screen in the quarry and not sure if it was him or someone else using a hammer. But when the bearing was hit it shattered and a piece went into one of his eyes. Did not loose all vision but never really got back much.

People just don't understand how fast something like that can happen!

DMiller, Buckethead, Vetech63 and 2 others like this.
  4. Nige

Nige Senior Member

"It all happened in the blink of an eye." Pardon the pun.....

5. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

My grandfather was at sea in the 1940s and cut a cable with a torch. A piece flew up and got in one of his eyes. It got infected and he had to just lay in his bunk for over a week, no antibiotics, of course, and no pain meds on board, either. After a few days, some crewmen brought out an illegal whiskey stash, and they just kept my grandfather, a mild social drinker, so drunk he didn't know where he was for a week. He never touched alcohol after that.

6. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
    The Mrs. & I were out in my shop the other day doing a WOOD PROJECT she wanted to do..
    Build 2 planter boxes.. BIG boxes.
    The first thing she commented on was:: DAAAM ITS CLEAN IN HERE.!! I said AND IT WILL B THAT WAY BEFORE U LEAVE.!!
    I picked up the saw after taking 1000 measurements.. and she barks:: STOP.!!! WHERES YOUR SAFETY GLASSES.??
    I just hadta laugh.. but she was right.. I didn’t have them on..
    BUT.. guess who was the 1 rubbin her eyes.?? (Saw dust)

DMiller, aighead, DB2 and 2 others like this.
  7. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder Staff Member

Good advice, it can't be said enough!! I'll admit when I was young and stupid I rarely wore them but after OSHA training and a few close calls I won't work without them. I've gotten to where I wear them while mowing the lawn, a stray grass clipping can irritate all day. Cheap insurance

8. Tim.pin

Tim.pin Member

Tradworker
    Horrible absolutely horrible! The eyes are pretty much the most important thing on our body! Heavy workers should know that better than everyone because of how frequently you hear stories like this! Always wear your PROPER safety glasses. I emphasize the word proper because different work requires different safety levels!

DMiller and Buckethead like this.
  9. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

Equipment operator,mechanic
    You never know when some thing will happen . I was adjusting the track on a trackhoe ,when I pulled the grease connection off the fitting grease shot out and hit me in the face. Luckily I had my glasses on because they were covered in grease.

10. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    Not just eye protection but full face protection when using a cut of saw. A number of years ago on the campus of a major hospital in Eau Claire, WI they found a young plumber deceased in a pipe excavation. He was cutting 8" cast pipe with a Partner saw. The evidence showed that he had been wearing a half face shield. The blade apparently snagged and broke, throwing a big jagged chunk into his throat. He bled out while 3/4 of the way up the bank. OSHA requires the long shields when using any abrasive cutting devices. Not sure if one would have saved him but it may have.

11. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

That is a tragic and sad story OIH.

DMiller and old-iron-habit like this.
  12. Puffie40

Puffie40 Well-Known Member

There's a old guy in town who was towing and junking old cars. He was chiseling a wheel bearing or something when a metal shard flew through the sunglasses into his good eye. His other eye was already damaged from health reasons, so that injury effectively made him blind.

DMiller likes this.
  13. 92U 3406

92U 3406 Senior Member

Professional Wrench Spinner
    I've worn safety glasses every single day on the job since I started 12 years ago. They've saved my eyes more than once. I need to be a little more diligent with the face shield though.

DMiller, old-iron-habit and Camshawn like this.
  14. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    So cheap and available in every tint shade you could ever want, and with built in cheaters available, there is no reason for anyone to not wear them.

DMiller likes this.
  15. 92U 3406

92U 3406 Senior Member

Professional Wrench Spinner
    Very true. Usually its "well its just sharpening a drill bit, grinder is only going to be on for 5 seconds!"

DMiller likes this.
  16. Tyler d4c

Tyler d4c Senior Member

I nearly always wear mine I use to wear glasses so I almost feel nude with out them. About a week ago I was doing some work up on a tripper at a power plant and they fogged up some I pulled them off a few minutes later I hit spud wrench with a hammer and a chunk hit me on the cheek. Needless to say they went right back on and never came off again

old-iron-habit and DMiller like this.
  17. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Have all heard my adventure with a 3/4" cold chisel and the old standard glass safety glasses, I wear a shield when should and wear polycarbonate glasses anymore. Got some of the 30+ years loss back with cataract surgery but has not will not ever be 'right'. Is true, only a Blink of an eye, not even a second to lose so much so fast and taken for granted will always have.

That night in the shop I will forever remember.

Tinkerer likes this.
  18. doublewide

doublewide Senior Member

Next door neighbor was hand nailing trim up in his house. 4 d finish nails for some small moulding. Nail kicked out and put a hole in his eye. He came home after several hours of surgery to stitch the eye back together and his little boy came running to see if daddy was OK. When Mike picked him up to give him a hug the stitches tore out.

19. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Wearing eye protection not withstanding the fiber metal cutting disks should never be used in an angle grinder or gas powered rescue saw for the this reason - they can disintegrate.

We only use the diamond metal cutting blades, they are slower but last longer and much safer.

DMiller likes this.
  20. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

Did that happen very long ago ? How is his eye now ?

DMiller likes this.