• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Water and sewer excavators

S120483

Wanted to follow up on this thread. I appreciate everyone coming to the table with their personal experiences. We stayed with CAT. We bought a 390DL and a 349EL. We jumped in right before the F's became a must, wanted to avoid DEF. We really like the new CAT's. Really big improvement I feel like. We have a lot of deep work this year so the 390 will come in handy with the long boom and long stick. It has the pin grabber as well. So does the 349. So far so good and the dealer has been very responsive for all of our equipment lately. Hate to think we have to spend millions to get service response on our older items but I guess it really got them motivated to take care of us. That and all the demoing and threats of buying some other brand of iron probably helped...

S120483

I thought the 490 was a really good unit, better than all of our current Cat stuff. The 349 however just seemed to have more power and was just as precise as the 490. We did not try the 470 as there wasn't one to be had in our demo time frame. Would have liked to try one but the quote we received was not really competitive so we didn't push real hard. The 349 is really a big step forward for Cat in excavator performance. We will see how the Tier 4 stuff works out I guess. I have heard mixed reviews on just about every brand as to how their solutions actually work in the real world.