• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Washington Iron Works and thier machines

Kiwi Logger

We just brought a new house and while moving I found a box of old photoes that I thought were long gone, here we were rigging the 137 around 1994-1995 I guess and the bottom Lug on the raising cylinder broke letting the tower go foward, lucky the two back guys were up high on deadmen and they caught it, one started pulling out so we parked the shovel on it. If any of you have rigged one you will know that if that tower starts going foward you have to jump quickly as you stand in the box in front of the tower as that is where the guy and jack levers are. Scared the hell out of me and the operator I have never seen a crew run so fast before. I ended up welding some heavy steel vertical behind the tower cradle and used the Haulback behind the Yarder and the two back guys to pull it back up then we started logging again a few days later while a new cylinder was being made.scan0003.jpgscan0001.jpgscan0002.jpg

Redwood Climber

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! That might be a little too much forward inclination.....lol. Seriously, I have never seen a telescoped tower that far over that didn't hit the ground. It takes quick thinking when things go wrong like that. If you work around towers long enough doing it long enough, it can and does happen. I'm sure the repairs on the raising cylinder were not cheap, but saving the tower probably saved you weeks of downtime & lots of money. It is amazing how a good crew can pull together to save the old girl.

Do we have a thread for "Close Calls? " TorkelH shared his near rollover in the "Yarders in Norway" thread........Great job! Great pictures! That's a " 5 star post" in my book! Thank you!

Last edited:

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! That might be a little too much forward inclination.....lol. Seriously, I have never seen a telescoped tower that far over that didn't hit the ground. It takes quick thinking when things go wrong like that. If you work around towers long enough doing it long enough, it can and does happen. I'm sure the repairs on the raising cylinder were not cheap, but saving the tower probably saved you weeks of downtime & lots of money. It is amazing how a good crew can pull together to save the old girl.

Do we have a thread for "Close Calls? " TorkelH shared his near rollover in the "Yarders in Norway" thread........Great job! Great pictures! That's a " 5 star post" in my book! Thank you!
Here's the accident thread

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?17877-Logging-Accidents-And-They-Walked-Away.........

Jim1960

I saw a 158 spar go over. We were across the draw rigging up a 137 when it happened. It was in the mid 80's and I was working at Miller Shingle Company, up Coal Creek out of Granite Falls Washington. We were all busy pulling notching guyline stumps and pulling haywire and such when we heard this loud clang and looked over to see a cloud of dust and the 158's tower bent over the hill off the landing. We we had a lot of big old fir on that show and she got a hard pull. One back quarter guy pulled the stump and the other one stripped the notch and the tube went over in lead with the pull. No one was hurt luckily. Well, the hook tender had a bruise ego, as he was the one who had picked the stumps and notched them.

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Washington 127 S/N 5997 at Elma WA

Found this 127 sitting alongside Hwy 12 in Elma, WA. Not sure if it is being used or not?

Processor next door looks like it got a little toasty.

Attachments

• IMAG0275.jpg
    IMAG0275.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,537
  • IMAG0280.jpg
    IMAG0280.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,506
  • IMAG0279.jpg
    IMAG0279.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,527
  • IMAG0281.jpg
    IMAG0281.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,518
  • IMAG0278.jpg
    IMAG0278.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,509

skadill

Wet Washington

TL5 ? Trakloader.Got dewatered today ready for the metal yard tomorrow.last picture this one will have ever posed for.

Attachments

• DSCN1329.jpg
    DSCN1329.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 1,483
  • DSCN1332.jpg
    DSCN1332.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 1,467
  • DSCN1641.jpg
    DSCN1641.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 1,457

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
That yarder has been sitting there atleast 8 years or so. Did you go to the espresso stand at the pacific pride station the next driveway down...??? *HUBBA HUBBA* :)

Found this 127 sitting alongside Hwy 12 in Elma, WA. Not sure if it is being used or not?

Processor next door looks like it got a little toasty.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
TL5 ? Trakloader.Got dewatered today ready for the metal yard tomorrow.last picture this one will have ever posed for.

I think it is a TL6 , TL5's cabs were on left hand side, if I am not mistaken.

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
Whats the story on this baby, how did she end up in the Lake? Would have been a good boom anchor.......

skadill

Whats the story on this baby, how did she end up in the Lake? Would have been a good boom anchor.......

There will be full vids on my YT channel soon ,the other got torched down to the same condition.Its connected to the Fraser River and is spring run off stil,l with 8 foot or so higher water levels currently than normal

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
That yarder has been sitting there atleast 8 years or so. Did you go to the espresso stand at the pacific pride station the next driveway down...??? *HUBBA HUBBA* :)

Thanks for the info Haulback, nope didn't make it to the coffee stand. Was another Washington set up in the gravel pit behind it but I didn't get too close. Was another one further west a few miles in another gravel pit across from the old nuclear plant.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Thanks for the info Haulback, nope didn't make it to the coffee stand. Was another Washington set up in the gravel pit behind it but I didn't get too close. Was another one further west a few miles in another gravel pit across from the old nuclear plant.

The million dollar question is, did you stop at the little ice cream stand in Monte and grab a cone? That place was there when I was growing up, back in the Sixties. We used to stop by there on our way back from Lake Sylvia. Last time I was there was in '02, and the ice cream was still great.

7.82Warbird

The other Washington that's set up in the gravel pit is an old Washington 158. The yarder set up in the pit right off Highway 12 is a Berger Marc III, I do believe. It hasn't worked in a few years.

7.82Warbird

The million dollar question is, did you stop at the little ice cream stand in Monte and grab a cone? That place was there when I was growing up, back in the Sixties. We used to stop by there on our way back from Lake Sylvia. Last time I was there was in '02, and the ice cream was still great.

I trust that you're referring to Gene's Stop & Go. It was owned, and is named after, the late Gene Braun - a good friend of my families. Gene's was always a treat when I was a kid back in the 70's and 80's and yes, it was still going strong the last time I checked.

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Nope don't know all the local hangouts, next time I head that way guess I'll stop for espresso in Elma in the morning and ice cream in Montesano on the way home :)
Thanks for the ID's on the gravel yarders, I thought I took a picture of the one in Elma but can't seem to find it at the moment.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
We should all get together some saturday am for breakfast and a yarder hunting excursion. :)

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Sounds good, we can start at Ramsey's and end at McPaul, though it looks like his yard is getting a little thin lately.

Ya, Bill scrapped most of his stuff a few years back as he was getting big $$ fines monthly for stormwater runoff. It was all BS but he said instead of giving them anymore of his money he would just scrap it out. Sad that the government drove that to happening. :(

Kiwi Logger

The crew was moving the 137 two weeks ago and the road collapsed and away she went as the back end went it ripped the top straight off the dolly, lucky the crew got her stabilized and a week later got her out, hopefully get her onto new job tomorrow and all rigged up. It had been raining pretty heavy and it just sunk when it slid over the bank, the brake man had to change his pants when it went as he was standing in there next to the engine working the brake lever.

Bank above R side.JPGTop side from rear.JPGAngle off level.JPGHauler front.JPG