• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Washington Iron Works and thier machines

dirty4fun

Lucky it wasn't worse that it was. Wet and mud can make moving equipment a real challenge, that is for sure.

skadill

One Less Trakloader

Cut down a few weeks ago.Have vid on YT channel as well.

Attachments

• DSCN1558.jpg
    DSCN1558.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 1,337
  • DSCN1584.jpg
    DSCN1584.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 1,335
  • DSCN1318.jpg
    DSCN1318.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,335
  • DSCN1554.jpg
    DSCN1554.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 1,340
  • DSCN1566.jpg
    DSCN1566.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 1,329

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Skadill - was this the machine that was parked along the Lougheed Highway out by Mission? I tried to find it recently but came up short. Thanks for catching the final moments on your camera.

skadill

Skadill - was this the machine that was parked along the Lougheed Highway out by Mission? I tried to find it recently but came up short. Thanks for catching the final moments on your camera.

This was her,there was a second one as well in the water with no boom,have pics of it too a few posts back at #207

SPMiller

Occupation
Operator
Because everyone likes a tease

6221712215_d0e9979aa2_z.jpg

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
I'll be darned. SP, are you part of the family who owned Miller Shingle? My father built a dock for them back in the Sixties at the bend in the Chehalis where they rented a spot from the Cosi sort yard to process Weyco's cedar remnants.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
I stand corrected. Talked with my dad again today. He said Miller's place was an outparcel owned by them. The dock he built was for one of the younger Shaeffer Brothers, who started up another mill just downstream from Miller Shingle after Shaeffer Bros. sold out in Brady.

Last time I went through Brady, back in 2002, Shaeffer's shop buildings were still looking good, owned by Vaughan Manufacturing. Their roundhouse was also still intact, and also still looked good.

SPMiller

Occupation
Operator
I stand corrected. Talked with my dad again today. He said Miller's place was an outparcel owned by them. The dock he built was for one of the younger Shaeffer Brothers, who started up another mill just downstream from Miller Shingle after Shaeffer Bros. sold out in Brady.

Last time I went through Brady, back in 2002, Shaeffer's shop buildings were still looking good, owned by Vaughan Manufacturing. Their roundhouse was also still intact, and also still looked good.

I'm not a direct relative, but it wouldn't surprise me if i was related.

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
I'll have to go back for serials, where would the likely location be?

In this picture of the 208 I beleive it will be on the left side about mid way, either on the frame or above it a little bit. Not sure about the 88 though, haven't gotten close enough to one of those to get a serial number yet.

6221720047_0b8854fc1c_z.jpg

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Damn the 208/209's are LONG S.O.B.'s!!! I remember hooking on Moes above randle and it was a bearcat to move!!

Rusty Grapple

I'll have to go back for serials, where would the likely location be?

In this picture of the 208 I beleive it will be on the left side about mid way, either on the frame or above it a little bit. Not sure about the 88 though, haven't gotten close enough to one of those to get a serial number yet.

6221720047_0b8854fc1c_z.jpg

That machine with the green stripes around the fuel tank looks like a 217! Can you post more pictures of that yarder? I wonder where she came from....? Also- I saw a 208 Slackline machine in there with Crown-Zellerbach logos on it. GREAT stuff there. Those Miller Shingle yarders I've been around quite a bit and I already recorded those serial numbers. If I remember right some of the tags are missing- the owner actually pulled out the original 1970's 'Bill of Sale' for each machine and we got them right off the original Washington Iron Works paperwork. I can send to you if you'd like them.

Often times a yarder engineer steals the S/N tag when he leaves or quits or gets fired. The Washington ones were brass which made them VERY desirable for polishing and putting on the old fireplace mantle...

Great pictures indeed!

SPMiller

Occupation
Operator
I've only uploaded about half of the pictures I have to my flickr. Which you saw. Skadill will have videos of a few in the future..

72hayes

Occupation
road builder
Washington 88

Washington  88 x.jpg

I found this ad in the October 6th 2011 BC Truck and Heavy Equipment Trader

Rusty Grapple

Looks like Miller Shingle is still in business, and doing pretty well:

http://www.millershingle.com/other.htm

Miller has completely shut down thier logging operations as of 6 months ago. Hard to believe, after all those years in the business......

All the yarders have been sold with the exception of the Thunderbird TSY-6255 SLR. This is a super-clean one-owner machine, so if you're looking for a good one this is your huckleberry!

This machine is Serial Number S-5181 and was deliverd new to Miller's on 8-27-1997. It was the 5th to last one built. PM me ASAP if you're interested because it's going to go away quickly @ $400K.

Also have some KW trucks, Link-Belt shovels, and a LeTourneau 6594 stacker if you're looking.

The Everett sort yard and Granite Falls Cedar Mill will continue operations for the time being.

Last edited: