• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

walking beam maintenance

BIGDAN315

Occupation
Self employed in the excavating buis and have been
Was wondering what is involved with walking beam repairs and maintenance on tandom axle trucks? Ie, Main pivot bushings and shaft replacement ,cost, etc.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Find a spring shop that does them. I used to mess with them myself but found the shop could do both sides in the time it took me to get one apart.

For the money a shop charged us I couldn't even think of doing them ever again.

surfer-joe

Unless you are built like a Gorilla and have your own big hydraulic press and other special tools, stay away from doing this work yourself. I specialized in class 8 tandem suspension repairs/rebuilds in a truck shop for a couple of years and I'm here to tell you it's a nasty back-breaking job even when you have all the right stuff.

Take your rig to a suspension shop and have them do the work. You'll be glad you did.

werkhorse

Having done many of them i can say they can be easy and hard i could do a set in 4 hr's or it might take 12 + gas axe and 60-80 T press are a must

BIGDAN315

Occupation
Unless you are built like a Gorilla and have your own big hydraulic press and other special tools, stay away from doing this work yourself. I specialized in class 8 tandem suspension repairs/rebuilds in a truck shop for a couple of years and I'm here to tell you it's a nasty back-breaking job even when you have all the right stuff.

Take your rig to a suspension shop and have them do the work. You'll be glad you did.

Built like a garilla , maybe but no press or speacial tools either. Going to call around for pricing on a rebuild. I read the link to a prievios problem and i also have a inside tire with scuff marks...:(

mascas

Occupation
Mechanic
I second what everyone here has said. I worked for a shop were all I did for a month or two was rebuild theese...I would just as soon not ever see one again..They can be a real bit** Not to mention you will look like you just crawled out of a dirt hole when you are finished.

BIGDAN315

Occupation
I second what everyone here has said. I worked for a shop were all I did for a month or two was rebuild theese...I would just as soon not ever see one again..They can be a real bit** Not to mention you will look like you just crawled out of a dirt hole when you are finished.

Crawling out of a hole is a part of what I do for a living. :shf:lmao

rino

Occupation
Drive steel bed Dump Truck for a paving company
After all my experience with Hendersons, I'd never have another without the transverse rods! They help lessen the wear on the walking beam! They run from the frame to the diff. front and rear. The front oges on one side of the frame, while the rear goes on the other side of the frame.

Click on this link

http://www.hendrickson-intl.com/lite...suspension.asp

Then go to the bottom of this page to "Transverse Rod Application"

thejdman04

By the time we had some at work done, from what we could buy parts for, the shop to do it all was only about 200 bucks more hten doing it inhouse. The shop did it in one day, and for 200 dollars they could glady have at that job.