• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

waiting in the check out line

Hendrik

Ask questions, find the foreman and introduce yourself, let him/her know what you can and can't do. They should assign you to an experienced operator who will show you what to do and not to and how they do things there.
Carry a notebook and pen, if you get a chance read the operators manual.
If you get into a jam, stop and get help, don't try and be a hero.
I realize you will be keen to impress but they will be more impressed that you sought help to solve a problem rather than try and work it out and create a bigger problem.
Bets of luck and watch out for grease on the seat:D
Oooh did I mention you should ask questions?

Wildhair

make SHURE that when you are backing up to the hoe, (he will have a bucket positioned where he wants you to be to load, if he is busy, wait a little distance away from him untill he posistions the bucket) but when he dumps the load in your bed... STOP!
he will hurt your feelings and your head if he has to stop you with his bucket.

youngoperator

Occupation
chainsaw faller/ heavy equipment operator
thanks guys, today i was talking to a few guys that work there they drive rock truck too...i asked them all the questions i had , they said i should have no problems and be fine, the one guy said ill be getting trained and it will most likely be him training me. Im starting to get excited for monday to come :). Thanks for the tip wildhair ill keep that one in mind for sure lol

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
youngoperator best of luck tomorrow and keep your head,if you are unsure ask and have a ball.

CatManDoes

Occupation
Heavy equipment mechanic
hi..

good luck.....:)
hello all, well a bizzare thing happend today while i was buying lunch today at the grocrey store, the superitendent of the big highway job down the road,was behide me in the check out line so we got chattin about the job and whats going on, then out of the blue he asks if i want a job driving a rock truck :eek: i said yes of course :D then i bought his lunch from him for giving me a job.

i have never drivin a rock truck before been around them lots was wondering if i could get a pointers on them, the trucks are ADT Cat 40 tons i belive or huge trex green 40ton.

youngoperator

Occupation
well today is the big day :D i did mange to get some sleep lastnight lol thanks for all the info im sure it will come in handy all day. wish me the best of luck :)

stock

Occupation
Well how did it go?

youngoperator

Occupation
it was AWESOME!!! Im driving a big green terex 40ton but its like an open mine truck( ill get pics soon), i rode around with a guy for about 2 hours, then the foreman said get out and get on that 40tonner that is parked. I was alittle scared at first going by myself but after the the first trip i was hooked lol.... took me abit to get the hang of backing it up lol. i was getting loaded by 550 JD hoe or the 1000ex....... After driving that all day i got in my pick-up and it felt like i was touching the ground lol

youngoperator

Occupation
i just took this pic of google its the same truck...the one im driving is in worse condition

Attachments

• 350px-1982_TEREX_3307AA_40_TON_ROCK_TRUCK.jpg
    350px-1982_TEREX_3307AA_40_TON_ROCK_TRUCK.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 303

stock

Occupation
HO HO HO "green giant",just watch out for QBALL hates truck /dumper drivers......

Hendrik

...the one im driving is in worse condition
See this is the problem with todays youth, they straight away want to get into the fancy new gear.
Anyway just because it's rough don't mean you should treat it like crap.
Take along a cleaning kit and give the windows and cab a tidy up, whose job is it to grease the machine? Are you supposed to check tire pressures, fluids and the wheel bolts.
Ask the foreman if there is an operators manual you can take home to study at your leisure, a good operator knows his machine inside and out, a driver knows which levers to pull.
Another tip is to take the keys out of the machine if you are working on it, that way someone can't just hop in it and go whilst you are under it checking stuff.
DON'T GET UNDER THE MACHINE WHILST IT IS RUNNING UNLESS YOU ARE INSTRUCTED TO AND HAVE SOMEONE WATCHING YOU
And remember your danger time is after a week or two when you think you know stuff and things become routine.

Last edited:

youngoperator

Occupation
The mech's start all the machines and gease them,( but i still look over it at break or lunch for leaks or broken parts).. the fuel guy will track you down when you need fuel, the foreman said to me that you got a problem go see the mech's.. i had a rear seal leaking today in the rearend noticed it at breaktime. went to the mech he looked at it said i dont got time right now, just keep driving it and ill see you later when i got time, never did see him again...........hey i dont mind one bit driving it cuz its alot better then laid off..dads brought me up to respect any machine i operate or drive, im taking it easy on the old girl.

Hendrik

The mech's start all the machines and gease them,( but i still look over it at break or lunch for leaks or broken parts).. the fuel guy will track you down when you need fuel, the foreman said to me that you got a problem go see the mech's.. i had a rear seal leaking today in the rearend noticed it at breaktime. went to the mech he looked at it said i dont got time right now, just keep driving it and ill see you later when i got time, never did see him again...........hey i dont mind one bit driving it cuz its alot better then laid off..dads brought me up to respect any machine i operate or drive, im taking it easy on the old girl.
Bloody luxury, I suppose you got the lunch lady to bring the food as well?
A leaking seal is no big drama as long as it is not coming out in any great amounts, far cheaper to top the oil up once a week than to rip apart the rear end, as you said you're driving the 'new guy machine', which more than likely will not have money spend on it and once it breaks down in a major fashion will be gotten rid of.

youngoperator

Occupation
The lunch lady only comes on tuesday wedesday and thursday this weeks special is roast beef on a bun lol jk...ya i know i have to pay my dues before i up grade.

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Congrats on the new job. Show up early, stay late, ask but don't pester. If there is help needed, and you are avaliable to then go help. Enjoy your new job.

Trbo

youngoperator

Occupation
The first week was great, drove the 40ton rock truck, then was on the packer for a few days. then was driving a Cat ADT on friday, man those Cats are tricky to back up at first, but i got the hang of it now lol. I wonder what this week will bring

dozerdave

Hi youngoperator,

Sounds like you are doing fine. The first contractor I worked for broke me in on every piece of equipment they had and I always appreciated the chance they gave me. One day we were eating lunch and an old hand said, Hey Dave are they ever going to find something that you can run. Everybody had a big laugh.

diggerman57

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Always be careful to avoid tire damage. Cutting up the tires on sharp objects can be expensive. Like EZ TURBO show up early, and don't be the first one running to your car at the end of your shift. Stay away from the guys with bad attitudes, because they can be contagious. Listen to and follow directions as best as you can, and if you're not clear on something ask questions. Be respectful, but don't brown-nose, let your good attitude, work ethic, and eagerness to learn, reflect your character. Good luck, and keep us posted.