• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

waiting in the check out line

youngoperator

Occupation
chainsaw faller/ heavy equipment operator
hello all, well a bizzare thing happend today while i was buying lunch today at the grocrey store, the superitendent of the big highway job down the road,was behide me in the check out line so we got chattin about the job and whats going on, then out of the blue he asks if i want a job driving a rock truck :eek: i said yes of course :D then i bought his lunch from him for giving me a job.

i have never drivin a rock truck before been around them lots was wondering if i could get a pointers on them, the trucks are ADT Cat 40 tons i belive or huge trex green 40ton.

special tool

Are you kidding?
Do you have any equipment experience?

And I am sure you mean buy his lunch "for" him and not "from" him.:tong

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hey, he's got some big stones...might as well be haulin' stone in the back of an ADT as well. :D

youngoperator

Occupation
i have operated some 312 cat hoes for a few hours, operate a dresser front end loader for most of the summer loading a firewood proccessor and operated a 440 b john deere skidder last winter. dad owns a mini kx61 and i operate that on weekends.

sorry for the spelling mistakes kinda excited for work on monday lol

youngoperator

Occupation
I also flagged for 4 months with the same company last fall got laid off in the winter and never got phoned back.

heavylift

not that bad... just keep the hoe operator happy... usually you will see the previous trucks tracks , just follow them , then stop when the hoe beeps..

I'm sure they will give up a ride for a half day.. to get the hang of what it does...

Then the dumpsite area, you have to keep that guy happy also..

Worse thing you can do.. Yes jump in the cab... then set there trying to figure out what starts it.
Best is when he ask can you operate it... yes but I need a little instruction....

1.. walk around the truck. look at stuff... ask what and where are the fluid checks... Does it get fueled or do you refuel it yourself, same with greasing. AT's take a lot of grease..

watch the other trucks.. see what they are doing..

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
trucks

I also flagged for 4 months with the same company last fall got laid off in the winter and never got phoned back.

If Im thinking of the same style trucks, I was always told to always dump with the truck straight and as level as possible. I am talking about a off road truck, articulating type. Very good info, on the other posts, always watch the other trucks and learn. Look for the tire tracks from the other trucks. I know I repeated what others said, but its worth repeating. Dont venture off on your own route, its usually not the best way to go, again keep a look out on the other trucks
Good Luck

N.CarolinaDozer

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Well I've drove ADT's quite a few times. Just watch for the hoe operator to show you where to load at, keep the radio turned down where you can hear the horn blow when he's finished loading, when dumping make sure to be balanced, and keep your cab straight in line with the bed. Also when climbing steep hills loaded you may have to use the postive traction button in the floorboard, and going down steep grades use the jake brake (far left peddle) to save your brakes. Get some pics if you can!

ben46a

The master switch is on the left front fender, and if you turn the ignition key and the dash lights but it wont crank, check the hoist lever, mke sure its in float. just a couple things ive picked up on.

alco

... usually you will see the previous trucks tracks , just follow them , then stop when the hoe beeps..

I'm not sure that's something you want to do. Remember, if the last truck was in a bad spot, you'll be in the same bad spot for the hoe to load. Not to mention if the hoe has moved since the last truck.

Trust me, I load around 30,000 tons a day, and we tell everyone not to follow the previous truck's tracks.

Brian

Panhandler Bob

Occupation
operator
:cool: Stay away from the GREEN one if at all possable! Specially if it is a 4066B:eek: Good Luck with the new job.:drinkup Bob

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Congrats and good luck... Follow the other truck tracks with caution, like alco said... the guy in front of you may not always take the best route. IF the haul roads are soft try to straddle the previous trucks tracks so you aren't running your tires in their ruts, it doesn't take long for those ruts to become a nightmare to navigate.

Keeping the truck as straight as possible when dumping is key, you can sometimes get away with a bit of turn, but I know in the Volvo's and new(er) Cats the cab is light enough that if you have the cab cranked to one side or the other when dumping the cab can actually get lifted and rolled.

Remember, loaded trucks always have the right of way. What size hoe is going to be loading you? and are you guys pulling up next to it or backing into it?

Oh and of course take plenty of photos for all your friends at HEF;) :drinkup

Digger Dan

Use the other guys tracks as guidelines only, great work on landing the job though, I'm sure you will do great. Don't be afraid to ask questions about the rig too, better to know it well.

youngoperator

Occupation
What size hoe is going to be loading you? and are you guys pulling up next to it or backing into it?

JimBruce42 loading me can be an 1100 ( is it hitachi) to a 550 john deere or a 988 Cat, its highway construction so i could be moved all over the place. Ive watched them work before and they always backed in

Ill try to take lots of pics, Thanks for all the info! you guys are a great help!:drinkup

Tinkerer

A word of warning . I have seen too many Cat ADTs rolled over on their side because the driver was going too fast on a curve with a load. Sometimes only the rear half goes over and sometimes the cab goes with it. Also they will rollover backwards if you raise the box too high when dumping on a slope !

dozerdave

Hi youngoperator,

You are very lucky to get the break. I can still remember my first day on a real construction project. I could already operate dozers and scrapers but it was still a big change for me.