• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wabco scrapers at work

Gord229

Occupation
Operator
Wabco action from '69

Thought you guys might like to see the mighty scrapers at work on a job in Canberra back in 1969.

Attachments

• MS8.jpg
    MS8.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 3,211
  • MS13.jpg
    MS13.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 2,768
  • MS502-1.jpg
    MS502-1.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 2,772
  • MS-13-1-1.jpg
    MS-13-1-1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 2,730
  • MS502-2.jpg
    MS502-2.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 2,729

malcolm

wabco photos

Thanks gord229 enjoyed the photos good to see all the operators working in air conditioned cabs with fm radios no sunburn not inhaling dust or going slowly deaf with noisy v8 gms cheers malcolm

Showpony

kiwi 33ft

Malcolm,
I was in Rex Wilkinson's yard on the 14th, must have just missed you. My brother is still there taking up the challenge. The machine will be loaded up to head south on the 22nd. The metal mice have had their way with this old girl, however, she is now mobile and all the big expensive bits are working.
A good start to a reincarnation.
For those who would like to know the machines serial nos are GP31649 BPA11 D & BM15 HS51565.
Apparently this machine and a handful of others made in 1971 -72 were actually designated model BT333F.
I will post our progress as it happens.

malcolm

Kiwi 333

Hi Guys I have been in contact with a cloutman employee (22years) he has a hobby making dvds weddings etc and does a very professional job. He made a 10 minute dvd about 1990 of the 3 cloutman bros 333s working together in the iron sand at NZ Steel mine site ,he has agreed to supply copies to any one interested cost will be $25 nz plus p&p , if any one wants one i will organize this end send me a private message and will give you my email address ( not sure about posting it on here) cheers malcolm ps happy to post any where in the world

Last edited:

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
Progress - coffer dam complete, pulling down sub wall

2 pics

Attachments

• 23rd June Coffer Dam 007.jpg
    23rd June Coffer Dam 007.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 2,494
  • 23rd June Coffer Dam 009.jpg
    23rd June Coffer Dam 009.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 2,510

Hillbillybjopkr

Occupation
Logger
When I first got into construction when I was 17...I spent about 5 yrs on a Wabco 222D paddlewheel. Absolute beast. Can't hear worth a damn out of my left side cause of that thing lol...but there isn't a CAT scraper paddlewheel system that can compair to Wabco's. I would break a rail or throw a paddle long befor it stopped

Gord229

Occupation
Operator
Thanks Jim,

Attached a few photos of gear being transported recently.
Hi Stan
Great shots of yoour gear being moved!
Am a Wabco owner myself and was wondering how you go finding cutting edges and routers for yours? Having great trouble finding any in Australia for my 229F
Cheers
Gordon

stangoodman

Cutting Edges

Thanks Gordon,

We have a supplier in NZ that make cutting edges to order and will measure any machine up and make them to suit your dimensions. They make our main edge up so we can cut them in half and step them down for the side cutting edges when they get worn down a bit and after that they can be used for the side routers as well. We make our own teeth cutting edges up by using Cat adapters and Cat teeth attached to the made cutting edges. Will post some photos and contact details if you are interested.

Cheers

Stan

stangoodman

Hi Guys I have been in contact with a cloutman employee (22years) he has a hobby making dvds weddings etc and does a very professional job. He made a 10 minute dvd about 1990 of the 3 cloutman bros 333s working together in the iron sand at NZ Steel mine site ,he has agreed to supply copies to any one interested cost will be $25 nz plus p&p , if any one wants one i will organize this end send me a private message and will give you my email address ( not sure about posting it on here) cheers malcolm ps happy to post any where in the world

Thanks Malcolm. We have got a copy off Cloutmans when we got the 333s and it was well done. I assume its the same one? An impressive site to see the sand being loaded so quickly. The v12s were humming. Cheers Stan

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
G.E.T. Suppliers in QLD Australia

Hi Stan
Am a Wabco owner myself and was wondering how you go finding cutting edges and routers for yours? Having great trouble finding any in Australia for my 229F
Cheers
Gordon

Cutting edges made to order from Alkina in Brisbane & points (vertical pins for "Keech castings" tynes) from Hitachi Brisbane & or Cutting Edges at Summner Park Qld
Hope that helps :)

malcolm

Wabco scrapers

A couple of different ones photos taken in australia early 60s enjoy malcolm

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 2,008
  • scan0001 (4).jpg
    scan0001 (4).jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 2,063

Gavin84w

I can see a name on the side of the draft arm but can,t make it out who it is, do you know who,s machines these were?

malcolm

wabco photos

Hi Guys The photos were taken by Ian Hendry and the were Gemmell&Hendry machines cheers malcolm

stangoodman

Hi Stan
Cheers
Gordon

Hey Gordon,
Just foung a 229G for sale in Aus if you are interested.
I will send add if you are keen. Tidy and ROPS and rebuilt front to back.
55k seems like a good price.
Have never had any in NZ.
Cheers
Stan

Gord229

Occupation
Operator
229G for sale

Hey Gordon,
Just foung a 229G for sale in Aus if you are interested.
I will send add if you are keen. Tidy and ROPS and rebuilt front to back.
55k seems like a good price.
Have never had any in NZ.
Cheers
Stan

Hi Stan

Yes I know the machine! It is owned by Peter Riley near Bairnsdale in Victoria. He also has a 229F (now being parted out unfortunately), and had a 222G and a 222H. From what I know, it is the only 229G in Australia!

My bank manager (wife) won't let me buy it! I would love to own it but really can't afford it. I have to say that buying a Cat 623E was the biggest mistake I have ever made. It is nothing but a money sink. I have owned it for 2 and a half years and every cent it has earned plus every excess cent from the 229F, my tax refunds and every other income source, have gone into keeping it going. The other problem is nobody is interested in buying it!

I knew I should have found myself a good 222 at the time I bought the blessed thing but the other guys I work with don't like the Wabco's so I have difficulty in finding good operators when I am not in the saddle myself. At least they will operate the 623!

Long term I would love to own the complete run of C model Wabco/LW/Letourneau scrapers from the 229H back to the clutch steer. Guess for now I just have to settle for the 229F and C V Power.

Thanks for thinking of me!
Cheers
Gordon

Last edited:

Hillbillybjopkr

Occupation
Logger
I know i've posted here befor lol....ran scraper for a few years takin a break from the woods. Cut my teeth in construction runnin a ole' 222D. Seen a post about nose slidin....them long snout's are way easier to nose slide than say a cat 623. Used to do it on purpose....was in my early 20's and was still bullridin back then lol....was a hell of a thrill lol. tried it a couple time's on a CAT machine.....ended up stickin one dead on it's nose...thought I was gonna go over on my lid but litterly just "hung there" lol. I run a delimber now and have for years...but at time's i miss runnin scraper. I miss the "racein" aspect of them...we would litterly play Nascar with them with all our operators..absolute blast. Ego fest all the way..When I ran the Wabco I was the only operator runnin scraper for a fledglin outfit....was a long ass time ago....worked for a bigger outfit runnin 10 633's in Reno Nv. Was in a old 633D out runnin 633F's....THAT's called hammer down lol

2 things about that ole' wabco i ran...1..it screwed my hearin for life....straight pipe Detroit lol.. 2. was one dirt hogin mother....would throw a paddle long befor the elevator stopped....damn good mountian scraper.....would go through a solid rock vein like butter...as long asyou can keep the cuttin edge in place lol

Last edited:

Hillbillybjopkr

Occupation
Logger
A very brave C-Pull operator putting on a show during construction of Lake Burley Griffin in Canberra, Australia, early 1960's.

OMG...lol...I LOVE IT!!!!...unfortinuatly i live in the most screwed up State in our union...California....that right there would instantly be at least a $50'000 fine...every time you touch water with Iron. Only exception is in a emergency.....I spent from oh..1 in the mornin till 3 in the afternoon once back in 2000 when a bunch of levi's broke durin a huge storm (was drunker than a fish cause it was new years and the boss called me just as I got home from partyin) runnin a old D8 tryin to push a levi back up...in a torrent of water...had water commin over my floor board..was 22 at the time..one hell of a night lol