• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wabco scrapers at work

stangoodman

Anyone know the operating weight of a 333FT and the history of the machines that came to NZ? Perhaps you can help Stan?
Great stuff Weakness your 353 is credit to you. How's the second one coming along, I'm keen too see more.

Yep, our one weighs in at 60 tonne empty and you need an 11m deck. As far as I know NZ roadmakers had our one new and Cloutmans ended up with it plus two others. One is a wreck at our yard, one in use by us and the other is in Auckland however I think it was the earlier model. Ray C will know for sure.

malcolm

333FT spec sheet

Hi Guys hope these are readable

Attachments

• 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 2,455
  • 333_0001.jpg
    333_0001.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 2,530
  • 333_0002.jpg
    333_0002.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 2,298
  • 333_0003.jpg
    333_0003.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 2,247

DiggerDude19

Occupation
Westrac Canberra
Hey Alan627B that custom twin auger 657B looks some what familiar I just seem not be be able to put my finger on it hmmmm

could someone help me out on posting photos

thanks

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
NZ 333FT's

Stan,

There were only 3 x 333FT's imported into New Zealand:
s/n GP31649 BPA11D - Cloutmans original machine
s/n GP31806 BPA11J - Cloutmans 2nd machine
s/n AGP1491 BPA11G - to NZ Roadmakers and was delivered in white. This went to work in Upper Hutt 1976 and was sold to Cloutmans after Roadmakers went bust.
I think Rex Wilkinson may have also owned this one at some stage.

Would love to have a blat on one of your 252FT's when I'm next in Welligton.
I trust you're enjoying my articles in 'Contractor'
:drinkup

RayC

Occupation
Roading Manager
333-353

Hi Stan...welcome to this board and great to see that you have some time to find this link and see how huge worldwide interest is relating to the 333's and 353's

You have mentioned how Steve has done a great job on restoring the 353 ....if you get a chance post some pictures of how your 333FT looks ...for I had a chance a few months back to see the finished paint job...and she is a credit to Goodmans....yourself...your dad.....Lance..Vaughan.. I think when you now compare on a worldwide scale Goodmans must have one of the larger fleets of Wabco scrapers still in operation...and they look great!!!

The Wabco name may be no longer producing 2010 models but between yourselves and Steve the preservation of the name will live on for a few years yet...and I only hope that there are younger folk out there who may one day get to see these machines working and just admire the impressive size...just as I did 40 odd years ago...and then have a passion to ensure they are preserved...Regards Ray

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
Wabco 353FT - Another before and after shot

Here's a couple more pics, before replacement of the rusted top edge of the bowl, and after repair, paint, and signage:

Attachments

• 07042010407.jpg
    07042010407.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 2,512
  • Jan 10 002.jpg
    Jan 10 002.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 2,526

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
The Wabco 353FT has made it into the company safety signage for this job - not a great pic, but nice to see the old girl make it into the 21st century still going strong (though the careful observer will see the rear detroit stacks with flaps closed - it stalled a couple of times that day with fuel problems)..

Attachments

• 10052010491.jpg
    10052010491.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 2,387

stangoodman

Thanks Guys,

You more than welcome to come down and have a go. At present we have 3 x252s and the 333ft working together in Palmerston North but the weather and consent conditions are making it differcult to have a good crack at it. Its that wet palmy clay. Interesting that the 252s load it better than the 333ft. We think it is because the 252s paddles are widder in the bowl and lift the clay over all the cutting edge, not just where the stepdown is. The other day one of the 252s got stuck in a pocket of crap and the D10 went in to push her out,but you have to watch with the curve of the blade that you don't hit the radiator as the pusher pads don't extend very far. Bit to close for comfort. I don't think Wabco really designed them to be pushed.
Steve, good to see the 353 working in with the big boys. Do they ever ask you about there age, cause from our experience most of the engineers these days no very little about scrapers and are blown away when the hill disapears before them and when you tell them that the machines are 30 plus years old they don,t believe you. Regards Stan

Jim Irwin

Stan,
Welcome to the forum, you will find alot of Wabco fans amongst the members here, and its a great credit to your company to keep the Wabco name alive!

Ive owned three Wabco's. 101F, and 101G and a 252FT, i loved operating the 252, so much better on my back!!

Steve,
the 353 is looking great and good to know she is working, i hope you get the other one up and running too, what are you doing for chains and spares?

Cheers

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
Hi Stan, Jim,

The guys running the job don't even understand the benefits of elevators at all, and they still have me down as carrying 18 cubic metres per load, when I reckon 22-23 is my compacted load (27.5 loose). Also, they place such a low priority on cycle time and haul road smoothing, I think 70% of potential movement is all I am getting at best, 40% at worst. Worst thing is I am paying for the innefficiency. Still, I have learnt a great deal, and ironed some bugs out, and learned to drive it. The other operators have been fun to work with as well, on the wall we had 2 compactors with blades (useless machines, and in the way all the time.. they can't match my point load with 120 tonnes on 4 sq metres), the 2 x 631G's with a D9N, a 627F (I think) joined us late, and now does all the crap cleanup jobs I was doing, 2 x 20 tonne excavators pulling the batters to shape after we were directed to overbuild them by a metre each side (!), 2 water trucks, and a 140H grader which did a great job on ramps and edge rescue.

Re elevator chains Jim, the previous owners converted both machines over to wet D4 track chains, and they work brilliantly. 3 sets to make two elevator chains. They look like lasting extremely well. See pic - they look very loose, but seem to roll around nicely.

Spares - a fair stock came with the two scrapers - the two dead 12v71 TT detroits, a spare bare VCLBT 5965 Tranny, a spare drop box, two spare PTO boxes, two spare plug-in Diffs (Huge..see pic with my Dad) 4 spare planetries complete, 2 spare elevator motor cages rebuilt, 4 dead to be rebuilt, a dead generator, and the going generator from the second machine - it came with a rebuilt unused Generator and 2 brand new complete electric motors, spare new detroit compressor, and the two Cummins engines each have a new compressor, so I have a spare there as the back motor uses no compressor. Several new serrated flat blades and cutting edge plates also were included, and a set of 6 welded excavator tooth adaptors, with 12 new teeth came, but I would love to track down a set of original ripper adaptors - there were supposed to be 5.

I have yet to contact Brendon in Sydney to see what he has left, I know the engines and tranny's are the same as the 333FT, so there may be a few come available there, and I hope to do a run to the US sometime and pick up some dead 353FT parts - I know where a few machines are, not being used.

Running the 101G's for 25 years with no distribution agent means I am used to scrounging!

-Steve

Attachments

• Zilzie trip Oct 09 268.jpg
    Zilzie trip Oct 09 268.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 2,364
  • 19052010527.jpg
    19052010527.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 2,296

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
The guys running the job don't even understand the benefits of elevators at all, and they still have me down as carrying 18 cubic metres per load, when I reckon 22-23 is my compacted load (27.5 loose). Also, they place such a low priority on cycle time and haul road smoothing, I think 70% of potential movement is all I am getting at best, 40% at worst. Worst thing is I am paying for the innefficiency. Still, I have learnt a great deal, and ironed some bugs out, and learned to drive it. The other operators have been fun to work with as well, on the wall we had 2 compactors with blades (useless machines, and in the way all the time.. they can't match my point load with 120 tonnes on 4 sq metres), the 2 x 631G's with a D9N, a 627F (I think) joined us late, and now does all the crap cleanup jobs I was doing, 2 x 20 tonne excavators pulling the batters to shape after we were directed to overbuild them by a metre each side (!), 2 water trucks, and a 140H grader which did a great job on ramps and edge rescue.

Running the 101G's for 25 years with no distribution agent means I am used to scrounging!

-Steve

Steve, it's amazing that there are so many clowns in management these days who couldn't tell the difference between their own a$$ & a hole in the ground :rolleyes: Very frustrating :Banghead
Nice to see that you've accumulated a few spares :cool:

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
Any pics of the Keepit Dam job weaknees?

Hi Gavin84w,
JH are a bit thingy about cameras onsite, which is weird because the State Park is open to the public and surrounds the two main construction sites, so here are 2 pics taken from public land next to the park entrance: the main part of the Coffer Daqm is complete now, just the rest of the plastic sheeting has to be installed and covered over, maybe a week to 10 days work on and off.
-Steve

Attachments

• Plan 012.jpg
    Plan 012.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 2,258
  • building Fill 003.jpg
    building Fill 003.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 2,271

stangoodman

Hi, I think that there is a pretty good chance that the 259 and 252 pictured in your photos #86 are now owned by my family in NZ. I was interested if anyone knows who used to own and operate the 259 in Aus? In the late 90s Porters imported the 259 from Ritchie auction Brisbane to Auckland for Tuff Earthmoving and then we brought it in about 2002 for work in lower North Island and still going good today.

Gavin84w

Thanks Weaknees, yeah some outfits just don,t get the free advertising thing do they, i mean if you are not doing anything wrong what is to not see.

Jim Irwin

Stan,
youll find your 259FT came from Lance Smith Excavations in Bayswater Victoria, he owned alot of 252FT's and i did see a photo of a 259FT in his yard. I will try and find a link to a site which has a lot of history of carting around scrapers on lowloaders around Melbourne. http://www.beamish.biz/
its a great site for you patient earthmoving geeks (yes im one), but you will find your 259Ft in Ted Beamish's photo's online, over 2000 photos, and plenty of Lance Smiths Wabco's, click enter site, click on photos, click on scrapers, over 50 photos there, including plenty of Wabcos including your 259FT
Enjoy

Last edited:

stangoodman

252 and D10R on the move

Thanks Jim,

Attached a few photos of gear being transported recently.

Attachments

• April 10 016.jpg
    April 10 016.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 2,276
  • April 10 020.jpg
    April 10 020.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 2,213
  • April 10 015.jpg
    April 10 015.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 2,185

malcolm

kiwi 333ft

The other survivor photos taken last week. any one looking for a challenge in their life here is one .cheers malcolm

Attachments

• DSCF4270.jpg
    DSCF4270.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 2,115
  • DSCF4272.jpg
    DSCF4272.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 2,160
  • DSCF4273.jpg
    DSCF4273.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 2,120
  • DSCF4279.jpg
    DSCF4279.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 2,149

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
Malcolm,

Is that the spare Goodman machine or the one of Rex Wilkinson ?

malcolm

kiwi 333ft

HI guys ,This is the original Cloutman bros machine of the 3 it was the white one that was parted out ( an american term) we say wrecked for parts cheers malcolm