• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

WA based lowbed, moving a piece out of CA

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I have a 4 axle w990 tractor with a three axle General detachable neck 60 ton low bed trailer. What will I need to obtain permit wise to haul a 28000 pound Kenworth c500 out-of-state on that combination?
I am legal in WA to 136k on 7 axles

4x4ford

Occupation
aunts on the strip Currently drive a 1951 chevy pa
That should put you at 80000 which is legal anywhere as long as you are within the axle limits and bridge length I know some states are pretty strict on axle spread

mitch504

So, you'd only be 80k. A regular truck would need a trip permit from Or and Ca, and fuel permits, if you aren't apportioned and ifta registered. I got no idea about any special length and etc. permits cause I never ran the left coast. Also, I have refused to let my trucks leave SC for a few years, so I am just wasting your time with obsolete info.:oops:

Truck Shop

When you get to Shasta scales/inspection port of entry they will set you up with permits. You will need one for the extra axles. If you were pro-rated you would be covered, anymore
pro-rate covers all 48. Or you can call Cal DOT and they will tell you straight up. Get yourself a gallon
of giant black olives while your there

crane operator

Will it fit in the well? and if not, do you have ramps by your trailer axles deck to back the drive axles up on the tail? The c500 isn't over width up front is it? Looks like a lot of offset in the steer axle rims.

Tugger2

Nice bed . We usually run my tandem steer cranes so the wheels fit on the bolsters. A bit of tricky blocking ,fill the air bags and off we go. Hope to see some pictures of that truck,looks like a good find.
Have a good trip!

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Thank you! I hope to be able to go get it this next week. I'm looking forward to building up the truck And I'm undecided if I'm going to yank the 6V 92 and replace it with something more powerful or not now or wait til it grenades.

Nice bed . We usually run my tandem steer cranes so the wheels fit on the bolsters. A bit of tricky blocking ,fill the air bags and off we go. Hope to see some pictures of that truck,looks like a good find.
Have a good trip!

crane operator

With the side drop trailer, its a pretty big jump to get tires up on your bolsters. If you need a crane to get it up on there, I'd better leave now, its a long way to calif. :cool:

Nice looking lowboy for a 87. I've got a 95 talbert 50 ton and I've got to keep a eye on it for rusty areas and stress cracks. Its not built near that heavy on the rear.

crane operator

My 70 ton crane is around 95,000lbs with a 6v92, and while its geared pretty low (6.53), aren't you wanting this for pulling your big yarder? I'd hate to add another 40-50,000 to my crane and haul that around with the 6-92.

If you're taking the time to shorten it up, you just as well do what you want power wise while its down. Otherwise you'll get to using it and won't ever get to replacing it. I've got a big cam cummins sitting on my shop floor, that I was going to repower a crane with 8-9 years ago.

Air to air B model cat? Add a air to air, motor mounts and some minor wiring and gauges. If you found a KW donor you could swap mounts and everything.

Truck Shop

A Model- not much of a way for air to air-It has been done but engine has to be moved back and radiator. That looks like the grille on that one is a AC denser. A air charge cooler possibly could be fitted behind bumper/custom made.
Straight B model with 500 hp kit.