• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

WA based lowbed, moving a piece out of CA

crane operator

Better photo

What is that running for tires?

I think the wider floats hurt the twin steer, but it looks like you've got a lot of offset on the rims, if they have the stops adjusted right, that will help. I've got one carrier on 12.00 20's that doesn't turn too bad. I mean it won't turn super tight, but the twin steers sure help if its soft compared to single steer and a tag axle you have to pick up for traction. If the fifth wheel is ahead and you've got some weight up on the steers.

Especially considering your going to shorten the wheelbase a bunch, I think it will be okay. Really the twin steer shouldn't steer any worse, than a truck that has the same wheelbase from front steer axle to tandems.

Tugger2

I have often thought of crane carriers for off highway uses like yours. Rigid frame,planetaries and big load capacities. I have a 75 Ton in the yard That's rated for over 50 tons on rubber as well as its upper weight of just under 40000 lbs.
They are always well geared ,but under powered. Its not often you see the whole crane get more than 10K at Ritchies. Be an interesting beast ,repowered with a Kenworth cab on it. I hate seeing that stuff cut up, I have a small lorain carrier 6X 6 short wheel base , as well as a 4460 carrier and some planetary rears waiting for some project.

Don.S

Most of the dump trucks on the road here have two steering axles. They definitely do not turn as well as a single steer but they are not that bad

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
SSHD’s are getting a little challenging parts wise. Not impossible but not as easy at it used to be. At least around here.

I’m all in on the swap to a 7FB jwac cat. Find one with a brake saver if’n ya can. I sure do miss mine. If you didn’t watch the pyro on it you’d fill the pan with aluminum! They cackle so nice and have a good throaty sound. Ugh. I should go buy my 359 back and be done with it.

Tugger2

Funny how things roll state to state ,or state to province. I have a 49 International KB5 that's mint down to the chrome hub caps. The guy I bought it from stuck new rubber on it and chugged all the way from Oregon to BC , drove up I 5 at night cause the old girl was a bit slow. I had to hand him high marks for patience and perserverance. I bought a little Bantam truck crane that would have drove up here , but found a ride on one of Bronco s step decks for 750.00 from Buckley Wash.

Tugger2

I always liked the look of your loggers when they ran a simple pole trailer on 5 axles and shorter stakes running down the road with half a dozen nice fir berries on them. Just looked like they would last forever. Here they always run maxed trying to make up for the off highways and our last logging railroad that are gone.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
SSHDs were the 44K rated RW axles with the appearance of the SQHDs, most were in Dump/Mixer chassis and they utilized similar Power Divider section(Would interchange/bolt up) which was THE weakest part of the SQHDs, bigger carrier and banjo housings, Second issue was Front Diff Pinion nut walking off, would know when happened as the burn mark showed on front of pot. Side gears and carrier reasonably heavier SSHD than SQHD but Eatons would be a Better gear.