1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

WA based lowbed, moving a piece out of CA

Discussion in 'Equipment Moving Questions' started by Hallback, Nov 11, 2020.

1. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

What is that running for tires?

I think the wider floats hurt the twin steer, but it looks like you've got a lot of offset on the rims, if they have the stops adjusted right, that will help. I've got one carrier on 12.00 20's that doesn't turn too bad. I mean it won't turn super tight, but the twin steers sure help if its soft compared to single steer and a tag axle you have to pick up for traction. If the fifth wheel is ahead and you've got some weight up on the steers.

Especially considering your going to shorten the wheelbase a bunch, I think it will be okay. Really the twin steer shouldn't steer any worse, than a truck that has the same wheelbase from front steer axle to tandems.

DMiller, Hallback and Truck Shop like this.
  2. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Gyppo tower logger
    That was my thought. I just want a purpose built yarder mover.
    What do you guys think of SSHD rears,

DMiller and Truck Shop like this.
  3. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

Throw a four speed Brownie in there, then you'll have nice short drivelines!

skyking1 and DMiller like this.
  4. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    I don't know never seen any I'm sure everyone else knows.

DMiller, John C. and Hallback like this.
  5. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

Auxiliary transmission, common configuration would be Deep under, Under, Direct, and Over. Deep under is handy as hell for steep pulls and rough terrain, though it sounds like you have the butt gears for that already.

DMiller and Hallback like this.
  6. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    DP 461's-Spicer 1241D

RollOver Pete and Hallback like this.
  7. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Gyppo tower logger
    Hopefully have it home by next weekend, kinda anxious to do the build!

DMiller and Truck Shop like this.
  8. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

I have often thought of crane carriers for off highway uses like yours. Rigid frame,planetaries and big load capacities. I have a 75 Ton in the yard That's rated for over 50 tons on rubber as well as its upper weight of just under 40000 lbs.
    They are always well geared ,but under powered. Its not often you see the whole crane get more than 10K at Ritchies. Be an interesting beast ,repowered with a Kenworth cab on it. I hate seeing that stuff cut up, I have a small lorain carrier 6X 6 short wheel base , as well as a 4460 carrier and some planetary rears waiting for some project.

skyking1, DMiller and Truck Shop like this.
  9. Don.S

Don.S Senior Member

Most of the dump trucks on the road here have two steering axles. They definitely do not turn as well as a single steer but they are not that bad

DMiller likes this.
  10. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    SSHD’s are getting a little challenging parts wise. Not impossible but not as easy at it used to be. At least around here.

I’m all in on the swap to a 7FB jwac cat. Find one with a brake saver if’n ya can. I sure do miss mine. If you didn’t watch the pyro on it you’d fill the pan with aluminum! They cackle so nice and have a good throaty sound. Ugh. I should go buy my 359 back and be done with it.

Truck Shop, DMiller and Hallback like this.
  11. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    Oh and the right lowboy hand could be home with that truck without permits and ahead of schedule :)

DMiller, sled dog and Hallback like this.
  12. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Gyppo tower logger
    That's how I roll!

sled dog and Junkyard like this.
  13. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

Funny how things roll state to state ,or state to province. I have a 49 International KB5 that's mint down to the chrome hub caps. The guy I bought it from stuck new rubber on it and chugged all the way from Oregon to BC , drove up I 5 at night cause the old girl was a bit slow. I had to hand him high marks for patience and perserverance. I bought a little Bantam truck crane that would have drove up here , but found a ride on one of Bronco s step decks for 750.00 from Buckley Wash.

DMiller and Hallback like this.
  14. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Gyppo tower logger
    Oh, and while we are shooting the schyeet I should introduce you to Trixie.
    She moved in today. 20201113_150349.jpg 20201113_150416.jpg 20201113_150400.jpg

15. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    Dude that’s badass. I just talked myself out of moving to WA and you drop that on me....FML.

38% of what..... :)

hvy 1ton and DMiller like this.
  16. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

I always liked the look of your loggers when they ran a simple pole trailer on 5 axles and shorter stakes running down the road with half a dozen nice fir berries on them. Just looked like they would last forever. Here they always run maxed trying to make up for the off highways and our last logging railroad that are gone.

Camshawn, Truck Shop, DMiller and 2 others like this.
  17. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

Ah, Spicer... showing my upbringing I suppose, every auxiliary in my world was called a "Brownie" because Brown-Lipe originated them. Figures a rig like that would come with one.

DMiller likes this.
  18. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    SSHDs were the 44K rated RW axles with the appearance of the SQHDs, most were in Dump/Mixer chassis and they utilized similar Power Divider section(Would interchange/bolt up) which was THE weakest part of the SQHDs, bigger carrier and banjo housings, Second issue was Front Diff Pinion nut walking off, would know when happened as the burn mark showed on front of pot. Side gears and carrier reasonably heavier SSHD than SQHD but Eatons would be a Better gear.

DB2, Spud_Monkey and Truck Shop like this.
  19. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
  20. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Gyppo tower logger
    hvy 1ton, DMiller and Truck Shop like this.