• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo L90E Transmission slight delay shifting to 2nd

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
20210428_073234.jpgthese are the inputs from the gear selector
20210428_073324.jpg
And these are output to shift solenoids. You should see 24 volts when energized. Coils should show approximately 20-24ohm resistance. Hope this helps. Good luck

Volvomad

Back at it again. Never got any further since as the machine was going 6 days a week since and has clocked 1600 hundred hours of hard work. The problem remains exactly the same. Pressure for 2nd gear is 10 bar. Every other clutch gets 15. It takes half a second longer for 2nd clutch to enguage than any other. Put a 2nd gauge on forward clutch and it runs at 14 bar in gear 2 and 15 bar in 1 3 4. I swapped coil from gear 4 and put it on valve 2 no change. Swapped complete valve between 2 and 4. No change. The coils are rated for 26 volts but all are running on 14.5. Connected the 24v battery charger to coil on gear 2. No change. If it is a clutch pack seal i would expect some deterioration in pressure or time delay. If it was just time delay i would put it down to clutch taking longer to fill due to wear. My next plan is to remove the valve block and inspect the gaskets supplying the feeds. Then pull out the whole lot if i find nothing but that is no small job. Any more input or suggestions would be great.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I would start by removing the stem of shift solenoid SC. Make sure you don't have any damage to the o-rings. Then I would swap that stem with that of SE . So you're switching 2nd with 4th. Also, keep in mind, the loader will almost always start in second gear, unless the load or incline dictate otherwise. Make sure the gear you are feeling is the gear you are in. Verify by observing the instrument panel. You can be preselected in F4 but start out in F2 or F1. If your clutch pressure is low but hasn't gotten worse, I'd say the clutch pack and seal rings are ok. I'd be looking hard at the stems vs the magnets.
I attached a little light reading for the meantime

Attachments

• L90E trans description.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 11

Volvomad

Same pressure in both directions and when I powered it on its own via the battery charger when no direction clutch was engaged. I did swap valve stems between 2 and 4 and looked in the valveblock ports and inspected the O rings but no change and nothing obvious a miss. A tear in the gasket would likely deteriorate over time but a pack seal would be even more likely to worsen over time. I will read what you sent on. Thanks. .

Volvomad

Nice read but nothing jumping out at me as regards my problem. I pulled the 2 layers of the gear selector control valve to find an O ring missing without a trace off 1 of the oil lines going into the valve so I am waiting for parts and crossing my fingers.