• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo L90E Transmission slight delay shifting to 2nd

Volvomad

Noticable delay in duration of gear change from 3 to 2 driving up incline in auto or manual and also when changing direction in 2nd. Had assumed it took longer to fill the clutch pack to take up 26K hours of wear put went to check pressures and this is where I am at. 3rd and 4th have 14bar . 2nd has 9bar in forward and reverse. Checked from cold (10 Celcius) with all . Left guage on 2nd and worked temperature up to 70C with no change in pressure . All rise approx a bar when at full throttle ,hot or cold. I swapped coil and valve between 2 and 4 and my pressure is still down on 2. Checked voltage to coil and both 13.5 V .
Any kind of internal leak should see pressure reduce with temp rise and increase alot more with increasing engine speed.

Volvomad

Sounds real nice but i dont have enough secure work at the moment for a big spend.
Is the optishift a big improvement?
Does it have torque lockup?

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I think that is part of how it works is the lockup torque. Direct drive makes for lower RPMs. Our first H was an L110, then an L180, and then the L90 was this summer. We still run a bunch of F series. Some 90s and a 70. We had terrible luck with the Gs, an L45 and a 70. At the end of it, they had to get rid of the burner on the 70. The H went with the DEF, and as long as you use clean DEF fluid, no problems. Only E we have left is a 150. Kind of surprised no one has been around this problem you're having before.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Is the optishift a big improvement?
Does it have torque lockup?
In my experience on Cat wheel loaders a lockup torque converter is only of any use if the loader is being used almost exclusively on a load & carry operation, say more than 50m travel from loading face to discharge point. In truck loading operations it never even engages. The downside of the lockup is the one-way stator clutch mechanism that is prone to failure.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Not sure something about a free wheeling stator, I just drive them. Probably should read the manual. It works like any other machine, but it accelerates like a car, even going up a hill.

Volvomad

At times the loader would haul material up the heap at a 1in 3 to 4 slope. With a well heaped bucket 2nd is too high.

Nige

At times the loader would haul material up the heap at a 1in 3 to 4 slope. With a well heaped bucket 2nd is too high.
Under those circumstances you need the converter to have the capability to slip. if the converter was locked up then the only thing that could slip would be the tyres, and that's not good for the powertrain.........

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I have no idea how it works Nige. If you switch it off, it works like a regular loader. Turn it on, I can go 46KM per hour up a hill on the road, that a loader without it might do 15.

Nige

That's the reason they have a lockup clutch, to make the drive train more efficient at relatively high ground speeds.
If the lockup clutch engaged in 1st speed forward, then either the loader would spin the tyres or break something in the driveline. That would be the only option because there would be no slip in the torque converter.

Let's have a bit of a tutorial on lockup clutches shall we..?
Here is the power flow in converter drive. Engine is on the left, output drive shaft to the transmission on the right, so the red housing on the left is connected to the flywheel/flex plate, or however it is driven. The power flow goes through the red housing and turns the impeller (also red) that is bolted to it. The impeller forces the oil through the stator (multiplying it's power as it does it) and turns the turbine, and because the turbine is bolted to the output shaft the shaft turns. Simples.....
upload_2021-4-23_3-3-15.png

Now engage the lockup clutch on the left. The red input housing on the engine flywheel side and the turbine (that was previously being turned by oil from the impeller via tha stator) is now locked to the output shaft and the drive goes direct from the engine flywheel to the output shaft. Downside is that in this state there is no "fluid clutch" between the engine flywheel and the drive train. Also the oil passing through the torque converter, although it is doing nothing drive-wise, would heat up rapidly because of its convoluted path through the converter. The stator (green) is mounted on a one-way sprag clutch comprising a set of rollers & springs a bit like a ratchet mechanism. The sprag clutch allows it to rotate in one direction but not the other. In lockup the stator is turning, in converter drive the oil pressure on it causes it to back up against the ratchet which holds it in one position. In my experience on wheel loaders the sprag clutch mechanism is the Achilles' Heel of torque converters that are equipped with a lockup clutch.

upload_2021-4-23_3-26-12.png

Volvomad

Nice explanation. I know what you are saying about first gear and it is normally used for bucket filling or pushing where a lock up cuold more harm than good but on a steep stock pile of fine grade stone or grass silage clamp gear 1.5 would be a nice option when it is the gradient and weight are the issue and not traction.

Volvomad

Didnt get time to go at it and wont for a few days but a wiring diagram would be great if you have one.