• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo CE & Social Media & Joysticks

CapnDean

On my facebook app I get a constant feed from Volvo Construction Equipment. Im always seeing a Volvo customer service issue resolved, their newest terrain loader or an ad for total electric equipment. Probably because I did a search for volvo parts at some time or another. I commented on their page and their Social Media director reached out to me.

Here's the problem I have solicited their help to solve. Buttons. TWO rubber covered buttons - - one on the left joystick, one on the right. These buttons operate the horn on the left and the Boom Swing/Hydraulic Thumb select on the right.

That's it - they are just little chickensquat buttons that you depress - - One to beep the horn, the other to select boom swing or thumb operation. Not really often used. Since the rubber covers have worn off (2017 model machine 1200 hours) the buttons are challenging to depress. You must remove your gloves and use your fingernail to honk the horn or toggle between the thumb and boom swing.

My dealership (Cowin Equipment Mobile AL) treats me like gold. They have the 100% easiest fix for the problem, replace both joysticks. At $750 a pop I hate to throw away a perfectly good working Joystick just because of the dang rubber button cover. According to the parts breakdown however.... the buttons (or the switches inside the Joystick) are not separately serviceable items. Well.....they should be. Like having to get a new steering wheel because your horn button broke. How about a new Air Conditioner because the knob broke?

I am hoping that VolvoCE will adopt this issue for me and reach out to the vendor that supplies the Joysticks for these machines. I feel certain that the Joystick maker, would have the ability to resolve the issue without producing an entirely new Joystick. Lets see if the Volvo sales folks on the Social Media side can get me in touch with the right folks to see this one resolved. Anybody wanna tell me what the odds are that they can or will help?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Most of the handles used by the big OEMs come from a few places. It seems most are from Rexroth. Would it be possible to contact the service manager directly and see if he can tell you who makes Volvo's control handles and try contact the supplier directly?

A redneck idea would be to superglue/gorilla glue/JB wield) a plastic extension (if you could find a round cylinder made of plastic, cut to the correct height, or sculped something out of JB Wield) to the portion you can still access with your thumb nail? For $750, I would certainly find another solution as well.

CapnDean

UFFEX Thanks! I am hoping that Volvo will contact their vendor. The joyctick you have pictured looks similar, save that mine has one button on the left and one button on the right. the right also has the toggle for the thumb/boom swing. I think that the manufacturer might be better able to match the correct part for repair.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day Capn
The illustration is one of many made by that outfit I have a catologe some where on the server but I could not find it quickly, I believe those small momentary switch's are common on many of the variations.
If you slip the handle apart and take a picture - measure the opening try and help some more.
Kind regards
Uffex

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Most handles are made to split in half or have a rubber sleeve that is pushed over the entire handle. If you can slide the rubber sleeve off you will find micro switches mounted in the plastic handle underneath. They are standard types and real cheap. I've bought a package of ten for less than $40 from a company by the name of Digikey. http://www.digikey.com
I'll get a photo of one of them when I get back home. They have solder type connections. You can remove the old switches by melting the solder off and then install the new ones.

Mike_27

That's it - they are just little chickensquat buttons that you depress - - One to beep the horn, the other to select boom swing or thumb operation. Not really often used. Since the rubber covers have worn off (2017 model machine 1200 hours) the buttons are challenging to depress. You must remove your gloves and use your fingernail to honk the horn or toggle between the thumb and boom swing.

If the switches are bad replace them like John suggested. For the covers; Someone could create a 3d model of the rubber part, and 3d print the replacement with a TPU filament. or 3d print a mold to cast a rubber replacement.

At the moment it sounds like a job for a bit of wood under a piece of tape.

skadill

Those are a bit different than Link-Belt I have had this issue with. However on mine if you take an exacto blade knife carefully around the button, it reduces the amount of stiff rubber/plastic resisting it, and pushes easier. It's easy to cut to hard though and go through a bit. Cheap fix for a few more months.

I wonder if brake Kleen would soften it up a bit, melt it a little