• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Visibility from large dozers ???

junior

what do you think about big dozer's visibility from operator's seat? i think old ones have better visibility like fiatallis, komatsu 455, etc. ,do you think same. what can be seen from a d11 or d575? they are like big ships. do you know the vision distance from seat, and can you compare them.

besides, we found a fine condition d455 in a great price-14000usd , but i have serious doubts about it, like visibility or things like that. we will use it in small area, mostly in forest to rip out big roots. it can be very dangerous i think, the man we will buy from told that the operator before now on it broke a big pine tree like breaking a toothpick with the single shank ripper when he was going reverse fastly.:eek: can it be true?

Wulf

what do you think about big dozer's visibility from operator's seat? i think old ones have better visibility like fiatallis, komatsu 455, etc. ,do you think same. what can be seen from a d11 or d575? they are like big ships. do you know the vision distance from seat, and can you compare them.

besides, we found a fine condition d455 in a great price-14000usd , but i have serious doubts about it, like visibility or things like that. we will use it in small area, mostly in forest to rip out big roots. it can be very dangerous i think, the man we will buy from told that the operator before now on it broke a big pine tree like breaking a toothpick with the single shank ripper when he was going reverse fastly.:eek: can it be true?

New dozers are much better, more glass, the door pillars, cab posts and ROPS structures are thinner and designed to maintain visibility.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Thats a nice little drop off you got on the right side there Lash. :yup

junior

thanks, but don't you afraid of crashing something or someone, especially the 8. photo(third one from end) is really horrifying i think, don't you?

HeyUvaVT

if you are scared to run it or dont have some confidence in your ability...either learn from someone or stay off the big boys :thumbsup

Lashlander

thanks, but don't you afraid of crashing something or someone, especially the 8. photo(third one from end) is really horrifying i think, don't you?

You don't carry the blade that high all the time. I do when I'm ripping but not when traveling until I get close to something then lift it all the way and look under to miss what ever is close, like grade stakes, catch basins, the owners car.:) Anyone that operates big dozers can attest to the fact that you have to anticipate things as you approach them. When they go out of site you know they will be coming up and you watch for them under the blade. These big dozers look big when you see them in quarries or on big jobs but when you haul them into town to rip a driveway knob that can't be taken down on a street improvement they really get big. Then you have to watch for cars and all sorts of other things. I don't think you will have that sort of problems with a 455, though, You don't just haul those around.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
X2 once you get use to it it’s not a problem. Mixing fill with a D10 I can run along the top of a slope and bump every stake on it with the blade and not knock one over. If I get a little carried away with my push a large dirt claud or rock will go off the slope and take out a few stakes although. A good hand can do some amazing things with a large dozer.

junior

This is the view from a D10N, Its smaller than a Komatsu 455 though.
I don't think you will have that sort of problems with a 455, though, You don't just haul those around.

as you say it is bigger than a D10N why you don't think to have that sort of problems? about machine, or about my work area? (and thanks for your great comments!)

Lashlander

as you say it is bigger than a D10N why you don't think to have that sort of problems? about machine, or about my work area? (and thanks for your great comments!)

Sorry, I was talking about the fact that you probably won't haul your 455 into town and work it around houses. I may be wrong though, you might do that very thing. When our D10 is on the lowboy it is 18.5' wide and 18' high. A455 is quite a bit larger so I was assuming and you know what they say.:nono

Deas Plant

Visibility on large dozers

Hi, Junior.
Yes, visibility is a bit restricted on larger dozers, just as it is on almost any larger machine. However, you do get used to it as you go along, just as you become more used to the sheer size of them. I have yet to run over a car or anything like that with a machine of any size. I have taken out a few pegs over the years, some I meant to take and some that I didn't want to take out. But then I'm NOT one of those operators who seems to believe that the surveyors spend all day every day putting in pegs just so that operators have something to aim at for target parctice.

Just like anything that is new to you, take it slowly until you become more familiar with it and NEVER let familiarity, real or imagined, breed either contempt or carelessness. It can bring you undone in a BIG way, very quickly.

junior

Lashlander, from your pictures i understood that you can't see from the center isn't it, you can look to forward only from right or left, true?

Lashlander

When your blade is down and your pushing you can't see the blade directly in front of you. I would say it will be 10 to 15 meters in front of the blade before you can see the ground.