• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Very muddy harvest video!!!!

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
i don't know if thats a family owned farm and equipment or if some one hires them to come in and harvest for them but if they are hired to come in and do it that equipment looks pretty new so they may run in 3 years or so and trade it off for new equipment and just roll it out so it may be just run her hard and dont wory about it yeah it does look like they are really hard on their stuff though i thought that head was going to come off and be in parts

Cretebaby

i don't know if thats a family owned farm and equipment or if some one hires them to come in and harvest for them but if they are hired to come in and do it that equipment looks pretty new so they may run in 3 years or so and trade it off for new equipment and just roll it out so it may be just run her hard and dont wory about it yeah it does look like they are really hard on their stuff though i thought that head was going to come off and be in parts

Its a custom harvest company

fArMeRkNoWsBeSt

Occupation
Farmer

Actually, that is a custom harvester, most of them trade all their combines each year. You got to remember those combines start in the end of May cutting wheat in Texas and don't stop until the corn is off in North Dakota! So the wear and tear on the machines isn't that serious, but still, the video they might be a bit rough on the equipment. However, if you were getting stuck every couple hours you might be a bit rough on the equipment too.

Custom harvesters have the gotta go gotta go gotta go mentality. They are in one spot usually for 2 weeks or so, they cut what they can and when the 2 weeks is up they are gone because like the old saying goes, the wheat harvest marches 10 miles a day north whether it is raining or not! It might not be the best attitude, but it is the only one you can have in that line of work and every crew has it.

I forgot to address something, someone said they shouldn't be pulling out their own equipment, they should be getting a professional with a wrecker. Ok, this is right, the wrecker would get it out and guarantee no damage. How many wrecker drivers do you think would let a farmer hook a 500hp tractor to the front of their truck and drag that truck a mile and a half through mud to pull out a combine in the middle of a 1500ac corn field, then drag the truck back again through the same mud only to come back and do it again in a few hours? Not only that, wreckers are somewhat more expensive than doing it yourself. I'm not ripping on you, just trying to explain why things are done the way they are in agriculture.

Warren

Deere9670

Occupation
Farm equipment operator
Its a custom harvest company

And thats exactly why you seen them in the field under those conditions...with them guys, it's either harvest now or never, because they need to keep moving along to get all of there contracts done...they cant wait for the field to dry out like a normal farmer/landowner can. I feel bad for the landowner, having to deal with those ruts and compaction, but thats what you get when you dont do something yourself:bash

bigblueox

They would have been further ahead letting it stand till it froze up and then harvesting. Any crop loss would be small compared to damage to machinery from yanking that hard on it. did you see the 90 degree tug on the combine? It's a wonder they didn't tear the back axle right off it.

I was thinking the same thing. I've seen a case ih 2388 axel come off doing something similiar

thejdman04

I see they were unloading on the run, what happens when the combine falls into a sink hole and the unloading auger hits the cart?

Tacodriver

Occupation
Yarder op, hoechucker, lowbedder etc..
They would have been further ahead letting it stand till it froze up and then harvesting. Any crop loss would be small compared to damage to machinery from yanking that hard on it. did you see the 90 degree tug on the combine? It's a wonder they didn't tear the back axle right off it.

Sometimes you have to pull off angle for 2 reasons lack of decent footing directly behind the machine and the other one is when you twist it out like that you are only pulling out one wheel at a time so its not a dead pull.
The rear axle has very little weight on it. I ran a 2188 with a 30 foot Honeybee header one summer and if I stopped too fast or went down a hill with loaded grain tank I would lift the back wheels couple feet off the ground:D. The custom cutter I worked for used the same rope they used to spot railcars with seemed to work ok.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
I have to agree with everyone who thinks these must be a bunch blathering idiots! If my father saw me do anything like that he'ld beat me senseless...

I pity the equipment!

Cretebaby

I have to agree with everyone who thinks these must be a bunch blathering idiots! If my father saw me do anything like that he'ld beat me senseless...

I pity the equipment!

I did a little research on this custom company

Its kinda idiotic to make that statement without understanding what these guys are dealing with JMO

Swamp rat

This was some great videos. Looks like some of our seasons cutting Rice in South Louisiana , trying to beat a Hurricane.

Hendrik

There was only one harvest in 1992, where we had a very wet spring and summer, where some headers became bogged in soft patches in the paddocks, but they certainly weren't harvesting through water.
I have had an odd patch of water in a crop but that was in pretty rough country with big sand hills and crab holes. Although I have never got a harvester bogged, trucks and tractors yes.
There is a fair bit of this sort of thing in Queensland where they grow summer crops and they can get a few inches of rain and the ground is still soft when they have to get in there.

North Texan

I worked for custom cutters for a while, and we never treated the equipment that poorly. Of course, the equipment was owned, not leased, and it was traded infrequently. There's a difference between using equipment and abusing equipment.

If we had wet spots that would stick or get close to sticking us, we cut around them. If the field was soft, we watched our loads very closely. When the combine bin hit the half-full mark, we unloaded. If that didn't work, we moved to another field to wait until that one dried, or moved on if too much time was passing and the weather just wasn't cooperating.

I have used bungee cords, but I always pull going backwards. Pulling sideways can damage axles and headers, and there isn't any job that will pay for damaging either.

I have no idea what those particular crops were worth, but I never cut a field that would have covered the cost of the damage done to the land and the equipment when it was all said and done.

Last edited:

LonestarCobra

I worked for custom cutters for a while, and we never treated the equipment that poorly. Of course, the equipment was owned, not leased, and it was traded infrequently. There's a difference between using equipment and abusing equipment.

If we had wet spots that would stick or get close to sticking us, we cut around them. If the field was soft, we watched our loads very closely. When the combine bin hit the half-full mark, we unloaded. If that didn't work, we moved to another field to wait until that one dried, or moved on if too much time was passing and the weather just wasn't cooperating.

I have used bungee cords, but I always pull going backwards. Pulling sideways can damage axles and headers, and there isn't any job that will pay for damaging either.

I have no idea what those particular crops were worth, but I never cut a field that would have covered the cost of the damage done to the land and the equipment when it was all said and done.

I agree with that. The outfit I worked for would never stand for abusing their equipment. We had a guy hit a power line pole and knocked the header clean off the feeder house. He got a bus ride home later that evening. He had been told to slow down several times.

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
I did a little research on this custom company

Its kinda idiotic to make that statement without understanding what these guys are dealing with JMO

I was kinda thinking the same thing Crete, if a guy thinks about the jerking on the machines to unstuck them and as fast as the slide around I'm thinking that the muddy ground helped slide it around rather than pull back on it. As far as hitch points, they know they are getting into stuff like that so have the machines set up for just that, and have the cables and straps to pull. If the harvest company owner is a all go no quit type he is also the type that will ream your rear for going to fast and breaking things, prob has that go go go, but don't break it attuide.

Nother deal but a few winters ago we had a milk truck stuck in the ditch, facing up hill. Fully loaded quad axle and it took a 6WD grader and a 4x4 Oshkosh to pull him out, and in using the stretch straps jerking him was the only way to do it. The owner of the truck was there and it was HIS straps and he said that was the best way to do it. It worked, somtimes you just have to get a bit rough with things, not always. Just sitting here watching the video doesn't do any justice to what the conditions were really like.

Maybe they are a little rough, but maybe it is the only way to get the job done.

Trbo

stovepipe699

Unless you have dry ground for the pulling tractor, jerking the tow strap is the only way to get out a stuck machine. In fact, they're designed to work that way. And while I wouldn't do a 90' pull on a combine, I do have to pull at 45' angle to get my air seeder out. Repeatedly, going on one side, then the other. But judging by the fact they don't even have RWA on their combines, I'm assuming the custom crew on the video don't normally harvest in wet conditions. I do quite often, and would not make much money if I left my crop behind every time it got wet. Thats also why my land is a spider web of drainage, if the water drains off you don't get the quagmire seen on the you tube video.