• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Very muddy harvest video!!!!

td25c

No fun at all.Once they get the crop in ,look at all the field repair they have in the spring.Sometimes its unavoidable,bring the dozer when it drys out.

bill onthehill

They would have been further ahead letting it stand till it froze up and then harvesting. Any crop loss would be small compared to damage to machinery from yanking that hard on it. did you see the 90 degree tug on the combine? It's a wonder they didn't tear the back axle right off it.

td25c

They would have been further ahead letting it stand till it froze up and then harvesting. Any crop loss would be small compared to damage to machinery from yanking that hard on it. did you see the 90 degree tug on the combine? It's a wonder they didn't tear the back axle right off it.

We call that cowboying,Yee haa! The 90 degree tug on the combine and broken strap behind the grain cart was pretty bad.That is expensive equipment there jerking around on .Its allways cheaper in the long run to hire professionals to retreve stuck equipment.Or for that matter , hire professionals for what ever needs done.

Deere9670

Occupation
Farm equipment operator

I agree with you bill, that tug on that combine was rough too....lucky they dident snap the axle:eek: I think it must have been a custom outfit, because when they roll through town...its either get the crop out or leave it in the field! Nice find on the video farmer....it was ugly, but fun to watch at the same time. It would suck to be the guy washing all that equipment!

td25c

Sometimes fall harvest is wet and it cant be avoided,but to put it on film and present it to the world like they did says alot about there operation.I would be embarassed.

Cretebaby

Sometimes fall harvest is wet and it cant be avoided,but to put it on film and present it to the world like they did says alot about there operation.I would be embarassed.

Whats to be embaressed about?

It is what it is

I would do somethings different like not run the buggies in the feild if it is that wet but maybe they cant make it to the end IDK

You got to remember that there isnt a great deal of weight on the rear axle with a big head on so some of those tugs arn't as bad as they look

Also you never know they night be racing the next rainstorm or need to be at the next place down the road

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
When I saw the first video, it looked like an excercise in stupidity, to me. I would have rather doubted that the grain they were harvesting, would pay for the fuel and the potential damage to the machinery. After watching the second video, it seems that this is reasonably common practise in the northern hemisphere. I would like to know, when is the cut off point between harvesting and leaving the crop before winter and can a crop that is left over winter, be harvested after the snow thaws, or does the snow flatten the crop? When they are harvesting the corn, I think it is, in water, doesn't the stalk draw the water up and make everything damp? In Australia, the grain has to harvested below about 13% moisture content before it can be delivered and stored, without out it becoming mouldy or breeding weevils. The grain they are harvesting would have to be much higher in moisture content, so is it dried before storage? I apologise for all the questions, but that is so different to harvesting here, about the only thing that would come near it, would be harvesting rice.

Rn'R.

Cretebaby

When I saw the first video, it looked like an excercise in stupidity, to me.

You are right some of it was just plain stupid

I would have rather doubted that the grain they were harvesting, would pay for the fuel and the potential damage to the machinery.

Corn was very valuable last year

After watching the second video, it seems that this is reasonably common practise in the northern hemisphere.

It isnt that common but last year was extremely wet We had 500 year floods here in the midwest making this year much worse than most

I would like to know, when is the cut off point between harvesting and leaving the crop before winter and can a crop that is left over winter, be harvested after the snow thaws, or does the snow flatten the crop?

Feild loss from over winter can be huge making it possibly not worth the harvest at all

When they are harvesting the corn, I think it is, in water, doesn't the stalk draw the water up and make everything damp? In Australia, the grain has to harvested below about 13% moisture content before it can be delivered and stored, without out it becoming mouldy or breeding weevils. The grain they are harvesting would have to be much higher in moisture content, so is it dried before storage?

It is dried before storage but once corn dries down in the feild it doesnt take moisture back on like small grain or soybeans

I apologise for all the questions, but that is so different to harvesting here, about the only thing that would come near it, would be harvesting rice.

Rn'R.

Trust me where we farm wasnt anything like that last year:drinkup

td25c

Whats to be embaressed about?

It is what it is

I would do somethings different like not run the buggies in the feild if it is that wet but maybe they cant make it to the end IDK

You got to remember that there isnt a great deal of weight on the rear axle with a big head on so some of those tugs arn't as bad as they look

Also you never know they night be racing the next rainstorm or need to be at the next place down the road

It is what it is for sure,Its there job and there equipment.I would not jerk around on my equipment like that,lett alone put in on youtube.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
did you see the 90 degree tug on the combine? It's a wonder they didn't tear the back axle right off it.
I was more concerned how the cutter head whipped around, I thought for sure it was going to be smashed, it nearly dug in on the moving end. There was no call to pull so hard, that thing would have come loose pulling slow too.

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Thank you for the reply, Cretebaby, that explains it very well.

Rn'R.

Awhelan

What I'd like to know is where they got those straps and what there worth they seem to handle a huge shock load!

fArMeRkNoWsBeSt

Occupation
Farmer
I'm going to answer some of your questions.

They are a custom crew.

Those ropes are not just ropes. They are bungee straps. The same thing that you jump off a bridge with but much heavier. They are the thing to have to pull your own equipment out. They will even outpull logger chains. The idea is you back up as close as you can and then take a run at it in the highest gear you can shift into. The risk of damaging the equipment is quite minimal.

Also, I'm sure they have, like we have on our combine, but a shock absorbing tow point to the center pivot of the axle. We have a "hitch" on our combine that is bolted by 8 grade 8 bolts to the main frame of the combine that we can pull on all we like with no risk of ripping the machine apart.

We had a terribly muddy fall this year too in Eastern Ontario, we mudded out several hundred acres of corn. It isn't the end of the world. You have to remember it gets very cold up here and the ground freezes fairly deep. It helps with busting out the compaction.

Now, for the third time, I'm going to post my rant on why you DON"T want to leave corn out in the snow over the winter. it is not a good feeling.

Warren

fArMeRkNoWsBeSt

Occupation
Farmer
You are not understanding the power snow has on corn! I just wrote this up on pirate island but I'll do it here too for kicks.

Tough call. It is not a very good feeling to still have hundreds of acres of corn out in the field at the new year. We've experienced this many times and it is just no fun. If you are going to keep corn out all winter, you have to be very smart about it, you have to aggressively scout your fields to find the varieties that are standing very well. If the stalks are breaking before the snow flies you are going to end up using a bean head in the spring to harvest moldy mud covered corn.

This is from 2006 in February. As you can see there is a tremendous amount of damage to the corn and the yield loss was close to 20%.
DSCN1122.jpg

It can be very spotty though,
DSCN1120.jpg

I don't have any pics before I sprayed the beans, but there was a lot of volunteer corn in the beans the following year. Fortunately it was Roundup ready beans and not roundup ready corn!

Also, just because you think the ground is frozen, doesn't mean it is frozen enough.
DSCN1067.jpg

My personal opinion is that it is better to mud off the crop, ESPECIALLY soybeans, and deal with the aftermath of the mud instead of wrecking your equipment in the winter. Not only do you get stuck in the snow and icy crap in the winter, threshing frozen grain is like running gravel through your machine, you do excess wear to everything.

Ok, lets say you don't get done and you leave excellent standing corn out in the field and it snows a LOT.

DSCN1053.jpg

Notice where the cobs are, right at snow level. The loss from small animals is astronomical! The geese just walk up and down the rows eating at will. Same with the deer. Same with the coons.

Not only that, all that snow when it begins to melt, melts from the top down, but also the bottom up. So you end up with caves. Eventually the ice pack falls, and it takes the corn frozen in the middle of it down with it.

Trust me, as bad as those ruts might look, you are going to make the same ruts in the spring getting half the crop.

Just a different point of view for you to think about.

Warren

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Now, for the third time, I'm going to post my rant on why you DON"T want to leave corn out in the snow over the winter. it is not a good feeling.

Warren

Thanks for the explanation, Warren. You have to understand, that here in South Australia, grain, that is wheat ,barley and legumes, have to be harvested below 13% moisture content, so all harvesting operations are conducted in hot, dry and dusty conditions. There was only one harvest in 1992, where we had a very wet spring and summer, where some headers became bogged in soft patches in the paddocks, but they certainly weren't harvesting through water. Watching that first video, seemed like a total abuse of equipment, to me, but now that you have explained the reasons for being there and the problems associated with leaving the corn in the field over winter, I have a better understanding of why they were harvesting in those conditions, because up until now, I had never seen anything like that before, although I do think they were pretty hard on their equipment.

Rn'R.

Tex3406

Interesting video, you certainly don't see anything like that in this part of the world. I can only remember us being bogged while reaping once, but it wasn't as bad as any of that.