• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Venting and the weather

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Forwarning... I'm just venting some frustration.

The one thing about any jobsite that can't be controlled is the weather. The job I am on currently we have lost two and a half days of work on because of rain. The worst part is that the rain comes late evening or very earlier morning and then in the morning when we get there the jobsite is a mudhole and under blue skies and otherwise perfect weather to work. I know there is little anyone can do, but it's especially annoying because this is my first week of work:Banghead Oh well, at least next week looks dry and sunny all week.:notworthy

Anyone else currently or ever have been equally frustrated with the weather?

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
The same thing is going on here. I've got a job to prep a lawn and it's too muddy to move the machine around. The property is on a grade and once I get to the bottom of the property I can't get back up.

I've had my mowing crew out between storms just trying to keep up. The grass is growing like crazy with all the rain but we can't find a dry day to cut it!:beatsme

D10N

Occupation
Catskinner extraordinaire
It's been giving us fits with regular thunderstorms the last several days. During the days, we've got lightning postponing shots, so blasting isn't keeping up with the shovels, and whichever shovels are in the postponed shots' areas will get abandoned until the shot can safely go down. Then there's the issue of mud slicked roads and truck drivers still thinking that they can run in 5th or 6th gear downhill. Never had fun until you've been running the roads in an 834/988 class machine and had a 793 haul truck sliding right for you.

PSDF350

I have been dealing with weather issues for more than a year. The ground around here just has not dried out since fall of 04. So you want to talk frustrating try working in the woods when you cant get in there becuase it is too dang wet (rutting). Everyone around here is going cookoo.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
So that's where all my rain has been going! We can't even buy a shower of rain. I'm close to 9" below average for the year. The farm had to irrigate just to get the corn sprouted out of the ground. We watch the storm showers on the radar get to the river (about 5 mi. away) then disappear...
Can't work in mud - but the dust is bad too. Feel free to send some of that rain over here.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
PSDF350 said:
Orchard if I could send rain your way you would have more than you want.:bouncegri
Thanks, I washed my truck yesterday - that usually works to bring in a shower or two...:)

tylermckee

You mean, some people actually stop when its raining? :sleeping bunch of girls, rain, hail, snow, whatever the weather is we are still working.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
tylermckee said:
bunch of girls,
I only stop if Oprah's on TV, or if I break a nail running that icky greasy old backhoe, or if there's a shoe sale at the mall!..:pointhead
(is there a puking smile icon thing?)