• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

Trainman

The Island has its big machines:

Grapple yarders (including in the snow):
Nootka Island Grapple Yarder.jpg

WFP Grapple Yarder CR 1.jpg

Super Snorkel:

WFP Super Snorkel CR 2.jpg

Big loads:

Port Alberni Off Road Log Truck 1.jpg

Even a logging railway:
Englewood Railway 4.jpg

Fun place to be back to after 20 years in the pine belt of the Interior.

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
I wouldn't say this was "Vancouver Island's logging at it's best" but it was taken at Cameron Div yesterday...:(

IMG_6640.jpg

dirty4fun

Reg, Looks like you took a little trip, glad you captured the old ladies sitting there before they are gone. Wish I could be there to see them with you. Just unbelieveable how fast things can and do change. Hope you got a bunch of pictures taken while they are still together!

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
Yeah we were lucky to have got there in time to take a few pictures Jim. Just craziness to us but what do we know? I'm not sure if anyone really understands what's happening but as you said, it sure has changed in a hurry!

IMG_6646.jpg
IMG_6647.jpg
IMG_6648.jpg
IMG_6649.jpg
IMG_6654.jpg

HD Mech

Occupation
Heavy duty mechanic
I must have missed it, am I understanding that all the off-highway trucks other than the low bed and one for a push truck are going now? I thought it was later in the year.

dirty4fun

Thanks Reg, I sure enjoy seeing the pictures thou it sure does create a lump in my throat, and dampens my eyes. I know a couple years ago that they were pushing for on highway trucks when I was there Steve had shared. They sure do look good to me, thou would only look better with a load of logs loaded and coming down the road,to the DLS.

While I am new to this and sure an outsider can see no way that this will achieve the goal that they hope it will. Yes the old girls are slow, and getting old, but still can haul so much more than a highway truck. They do it much safer coming down the down the switch backed mountain roads. I guess time will tell and it would be costly to park them but would seem much safer. park them work on them, get them back into better condition as fill in work for the mechanics. While trying some highway trucks, if the highway trucks work out then sell them. Should be worth a lot more in better condition, and you have a back up plan if the highway trucks don't work out. Something like this would make a bean counter goes crazy but most bean counters are pretty close to there already!

caycusion

I remember the day when Big Bucks backed into our longline landing in hemmingsen creek with a highway truck to take a load of old growth cedar straight to shoal island. We damn near laughed him off the claim.......well guess what happened shortly there after?

HDX

caycusion That same thought occurred to all of us also. What is interesting is of those pictured above, all three big outfits are represented right there. There is a couple Crown Z trucks and few M&B and some BCFP as well as one Bill Neil HDX. Only two big ones left H14 under the lowbed (ex M&B) and H119 Push/Utility truck (ex Crown Z) These will go to the same buyer at the termination of the IPL contract. I will go through the list and pictures and post them when I get all the pictures together. There WAS 21 big trucks out there. And then there were NONE!!! Now the only big trucks running out there will be Dave Mills with his.

HDX

This is a close-up of the Budd/Dayton wheel adaptors that were used to convert your Budd wheels over to Dayton. We had discussed this system on the BCFP thread awhile back. This is what they look like.
IMG_3311.jpgIMG_3312.jpg

HDX

No Cory They been around for a long time just never see them anymore because most of the Budd wheels are long gone now. Every now and then some of these will pop up. I figured with all the guys on here that someone might look at those and start thinkin about what a neat idea they are and using the concept on other equipment. I think most stuff our southern friends have is mostly Budd wheels. I actually had a brainfart about taking one of those adapters and seeing if it would fit on my M123A1C tractor and convert the wheels over to Dayton and go with 14:00X25 tires instead of 14:0024's. Tires are basically the same size and 14:00X25 tires are readily available whereas the 14:00X24 are almost impossible to find now. Sure would look cool on her. Then the light goes on and common sense kicks in. Do I really need to go there right now As if I don't have enough to do already. Maybe I will just keep that little thought on the back burner for now. HHMMMM note to self

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Thanks....I completely understand about having enough to do right now...Doesn't stop the brain from quietly thinking away tho
I asked my brother (35 year tire guy) about the adaptors and he has never heard of them before.
That's two things I have learned today...
Cheers

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Hauled lumber out of WFP Cow Bay Sawmill today. Mill is gearing up to work 5 shifts days and nites of 10 hrs. Hiring many people. Loggers are going to be hustling to keep mills in wood. 2-3 more mills expected to follow