• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

HDX

There is two of them mounted in my garage Saving them for something big in the future LOL If nobody post I will

HDX

First trailer in post 1615 was an ex Hayes Forest 60 ton trailer Be interesting to see what the "M" number is or was on it. The second one might be also

<3 FaT TrUcKs

Hi, I'm New

Greetings to All! :)

I am new to the forum and also new to trucks and heavy equipment; however, I am not new to Vancouver Island. I've scrolled through every page of this thread and continue to look back; what an amazing collection! I am becoming more and more fascinated; so much to learn. Thank you everyone for sharing! I'm looking forward to gathering some material myself and sharing this with you in the near future.

This summer I went to Campbell River. I camped at Elk Falls Provencial Park. Nice place. Girls had to do the laundry and some shopping so I had a few hours for my self. I went to Dennis Dystant Trucking shop. I went into the office and ask for permission to take some pictures of an Hayes HDX and a KW that were parked in their yard. Sorry I can't remember the young mans name but he said: You can take all the Pictures you want but back in the shop we have an Hayes HDX that was being rebuild. So I followed him into the shop and there was a 1972 Hayes HDX with 120.000 rears. They were doing a hell of a job. She will look like new when she leaves the shop. Suddenly a man came out from a small room. It was Dennis Dystant himself. It was a pleasure meeting him. We did some BS-ing... DD has 3 Hayes HDX and 8-9 off highway KW in operation. Thank you Dennis for taking your time speaking with me and let me take pictures of your equipment in your yard and shop.

Hayesno1, Excellent photos! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay here in Campbell River. I have a photo to share with you... another Dennis Dystant KW... Loaded. Enjoy! :waving
Thanks again,
~Meg

Dystant2013edit.jpg

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
3FatTrucks welcome. Can you fill in the blanks. Where was truck loaded and unloaded and when. Small details are always the ones that lead to big news.lol.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
3FatTrucks welcome. Can you fill in the blanks. Where was truck loaded and unloaded and when. Small details are always the ones that lead to big news.lol.

I just want to see the arm of the person who tossed the wrappers....

I knew a second loader once when he had an off hiway truck, just pulled out about 50' of very heavy fishing line with a small weight and tossed it first. An other second loader I knew just tossed the wrapper in the same situation, of course he had callouses on his arm from where his knuckles drug on the ground. He was built like a gorilla and ate like one also. His lunch consisted or 2 quarts of coffee, a 10 can stick of snoose and a cup of yogurt (his healthy eating habit.)

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
I have seen this personally. The fine fellow driving the H-17 still throws his wrappers himself. Of course this can be difficult in close quarters but he does "git er dun"

<3 FaT TrUcKs

I didn't take the photo myself; I took it off my neighbor's (the driver's) fridge, lol. He gave me permission to scan and post. He told me this was Summer 2013, about 13 Km from Knox Bay (where it was unloaded), W. Thurlow Island, not far North from CR.

I just want to see the arm of the person who tossed the wrappers....

I knew a second loader once when he had an off hiway truck, just pulled out about 50' of very heavy fishing line with a small weight and tossed it first. An other second loader I knew just tossed the wrapper in the same situation, of course he had callouses on his arm from where his knuckles drug on the ground. He was built like a gorilla and ate like one also. His lunch consisted or 2 quarts of coffee, a 10 can stick of snoose and a cup of yogurt (his healthy eating habit.)

I have seen this personally. The fine fellow driving the H-17 still throws his wrappers himself. Of course this can be difficult in close quarters but he does "git er dun"

It's funny you mention "throwing the wrappers," because after I saw the video below on You Tube, I asked about that. He told me the loader does it; "No one throws the wrappers." Then I mentioned the video and he said, "Must have been a highway truck," and I told him, "No it's a Hayes HDX," (H-17). I still need to show him the video. :)

[video=youtube;oaLFmKI_Inc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaLFmKI_Inc[/video]

cubanator

That's awesome! I'm 30 and drove log truck for the first time a few weeks ago and had a hell of a time throwing wrappers over 14'... lol But I am only 5'4" tall too! Old boy knew what he was doing!

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
I know of several guys here that have blew the shoulder out throwing wrappers. It is a skill in itself.

dirty4fun

Steve has been driving the HDX 17 since new in 1975. I rode with him a month ago in that truck, when with him it turned over 622K miles. The truck looks great, and he wipes off the dust in between loads. One prince of a fellow with more knowledge of trucks and who had them than you can believe one man could know. It is his baby and will be going home with him when he retires, as it should.

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Welcomes aboard 3FaT Trucks. Looking forward to see more pictures from CR area.... Allways interesting stuff around:)

Last edited:

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Pics from WFP dryland sort at Kelsey Bay, summer 2014

Attachments

• VI_s1.jpg
    VI_s1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 756
  • VI_s2.jpg
    VI_s2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 758
  • VI_s3.jpg
    VI_s3.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 765
  • VI_s4.jpg
    VI_s4.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 759
  • VI_s5.jpg
    VI_s5.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 764

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
More from Kelsey Bay...

Attachments

• VI_s6.jpg
    VI_s6.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 764
  • VI_s7.jpg
    VI_s7.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 756
  • VI_s8.jpg
    VI_s8.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 753
  • VI_s10.jpg
    VI_s10.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 751
  • VI_s9.jpg
    VI_s9.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 769

skadill

Extreme Heavy Haul

180,000 lbs plus American 7280 Yarder on a regular lowbed setup.Taken by an equipment friend who moved it in 1989 at 7 mile hill at Alta Lake near Whistler every year.Note the nice round tires before loading and the amount of rubber on the ground after,and the sag in the trailer.This is as wild as it gets for BC logging stunts.

Attachments

• img106.jpg
    img106.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,022
  • img108.jpg
    img108.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,019
  • img109.jpg
    img109.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 1,032

skadill

Extreme Heavy Haul

cont.

Attachments

• img110.jpg
    img110.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 1,030
  • img111.jpg
    img111.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 1,027
  • img112.jpg
    img112.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 1,027

dirty4fun

It sure looks like the trailer would get hung up on much of any hump in the road. The fellow I worked for had a double drop that would drag on every railroad crossing that had much off any hump.