• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Thanks guys. Small bucket list to do,one of which is ride along in an HDX. Hope to see more faces to put to a few names. Thanks again.

dirty4fun

Thanks guys. Small bucket list to do,one of which is ride along in an HDX. Hope to see more faces to put to a few names. Thanks again.

Congratulations on retiring enjoy it you deserve it. Let me warn you about riding with HDX, he will spoil you and you will want to be a passenger for a lot of trips. Which is ok till I get there the nest time, by then it will hopefully be my turn. You will enjoy it, a bunch!

Blk prince

Occupation
Dirty4fun, have no fear Jim. Your ride is safe. For me this would be like going home after 40yrs. I started out on the real trucks in 1972. Lost my last one in 1980. So this would complete the circle. Lol

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Congrats Blk Prince........I have going for a ride in a P-16 or HDX on my bucket list as well...3 gear blurps back and forth to the paint shop at Pacific just weren't enough......Cory

Blk prince

Occupation
Thanks Corey. You have done something most of us will never do and that is to drive the "Big guys" on a Vancouver street. That would be awesome. Never happen now.

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
I have only moved a P-12 around Fred's yard a few times, and maybe 1 hr of seat time. Drove 10 to 15 different P-10's, at the time it was not a big deal. Now just a memory.

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Many happy years of good health in your retirement. Hopefully when I retire from working in Vancouver, I can come and join you at the Forest Museum on volunteer days. Think of all the time you can spend there now.

I just realized by reading these threads that I actually spent time behind the wheel of many of the HDX's back in the day, when I was a shop sweeper at M & B Sproat Lake Division. The old lead hand - Doug Clark - figured I needed a break from my routine and showed me how to fire them up, build up my air and how not to hit anything. No air ticket, no bugger all license. I guess he liked me. I would drive the recently dumped trucks around the yard to the 'A' frame and put the trailers on the trucks and then park them. You wouldn't see that in this day and age. I guess I can also claim to have driven the J-88 Sparmatic after my final tower down - I got laid off permanently that day. Now I just get to taxi airliners around after maintenance events - to be allowed to run them you have to be able to taxi them. Somehow I remember the trucks as being more fun....

Len Burton

Occupation
Retired
Logging-rigging men and timber fallers.jpg I'm not quite sure where this fits in but for those on facebook check out logging-rigging men and timber fallers. There is some awesome pictures on this page.

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
This summer I went to Campbell River. I camped at Elk Falls Provencial Park. Nice place. Girls had to do the laundry and some shopping so I had a few hours for my self. I went to Dennis Dystant Trucking shop. I went into the office and ask for permission to take some pictures of an Hayes HDX and a KW that were parked in their yard. Sorry I can't remember the young mans name but he said: You can take all the Pictures you want but back in the shop we have an Hayes HDX that was being rebuild. So I followed him into the shop and there was a 1972 Hayes HDX with 120.000 rears. They were doing a hell of a job. She will look like new when she leaves the shop. Suddenly a man came out from a small room. It was Dennis Dystant himself. It was a pleasure meeting him. We did some BS-ing... DD has 3 Hayes HDX and 8-9 off highway KW in operation. Thank you Dennis for taking your time speaking with me and let me take pictures of your equipment in your yard and shop. Here some pics I took.

Attachments

• Hayes HDX DD cab s1.jpg
    Hayes HDX DD cab s1.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 906
  • Hayes HDX DD s1.jpg
    Hayes HDX DD s1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 873
  • Hayes HDX DD s2.jpg
    Hayes HDX DD s2.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 870
  • DD Hayes water tank s1.jpg
    DD Hayes water tank s1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 867
  • DD Kenworth blue s1.jpg
    DD Kenworth blue s1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 882

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
More pics from Dennis Dystant Trucking...

Attachments

• DD Hayes HDX s1.jpg
    DD Hayes HDX s1.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 891
  • DD Hayes HDX s2.jpg
    DD Hayes HDX s2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 854
  • DD KW fenders s1.jpg
    DD KW fenders s1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 851
  • DD KW fenders s2.jpg
    DD KW fenders s2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 869
  • DD shovel s1.jpg
    DD shovel s1.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 858

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager

Attachments

• DD Hayes HDX s3.jpg
    DD Hayes HDX s3.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 855
  • DD Hayes HDX s4.jpg
    DD Hayes HDX s4.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 875
  • DD Kenworth blue s2.jpg
    DD Kenworth blue s2.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 864
  • DD KW 33 s1.jpg
    DD KW 33 s1.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 875
  • DD water tank s1.jpg
    DD water tank s1.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 869

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager

Attachments

• DD KW ex WFP s1.jpg
    DD KW ex WFP s1.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 860
  • DD KW ex WFP s2.jpg
    DD KW ex WFP s2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 864
  • DD logging trailer s1.jpg
    DD logging trailer s1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 861
  • DD logging trailer s2.jpg
    DD logging trailer s2.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 880
  • DD lowbed s1.jpg
    DD lowbed s1.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 870

dirty4fun

Good score at Dennis's place, looks like I might have another place to do some looking around next time. Great pictures and sure good to hear he is rebuilding the HDX.

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Good score at Dennis's place, looks like I might have another place to do some looking around next time. Great pictures and sure good to hear he is rebuilding the HDX.
Looks like it was a great stop for you Thanks for the pictures.

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Thanx dirty4fun and Hank R. For sure Campbell River is allways a visit worth if you are looking for heavy logging equipment.

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
Does anyone have any really good pictures of a new "happy face" 1400x25?....You all know why I am looking for this....

Thanks