• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

TorkelH

That is Madill 046 22074, originally mounted on M10 crawler carrier and with Madill "S" series spar. Delivered from Madill in 1976. I don't know who was original customer of this machine, but it seems to have been owned by Madill prior to being rebuilt.
Did you Hayesno1 get the serial nbr of some of the other 046 reloaders at Englewood?

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
That is Madill 046 22074, originally mounted on M10 crawler carrier and with Madill "S" series spar. Delivered from Madill in 1976. I don't know who was original customer of this machine, but it seems to have been owned by Madill prior to being rebuilt.
Did you Hayesno1 get the serial nbr of some of the other 046 reloaders at Englewood?

TorkelH; thanks for great information. Sorry I did not get any serial number!

BCFP VET

Occupation
old school logger,jack of all trades.
I have something to say, it has been along time since bcfp and cfpl have been aound why dont every contractor out there get together and reform these two well known outfits including paint logos, the works, maybe even throw in cz, to really bring back the memories. cheers.

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Beer belly tire‏

I got these pics from "HDX" a few days ago. We could not figure out where to post them, but i took decision to day - hope it's okay! So shoot "HDX" - tell the story...

Attachments

• photoCA2SYXSFs.jpg
    photoCA2SYXSFs.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,205
  • photos.jpg
    photos.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,149

HDX

Hayesno1 Thanks for doing this! Here is the story IPL unit#H153 parked in Sarita Yard over the weekend as usual. Come monday morning this is what Arnie Magnussen (Master Mechanic) found!!! Because of the hazzard he told the driver to take another truck for a trip while he took care of this! He moved the truck out of the way and then he and Cam Grieder (tireman) managed to get the tire deflated and removed. Here is the problem with these tires--It is so hard and expensive now to get the 14:00X25 Michelin's (about 3000.00 each without rim - just the tire) and these chinese tires called Triangle have flooded the market.These tires are a Michelin "H"block knockoffs-in other words they use a very similar tread pattern to the Michelin. As with any company, they install new tires on the trucks and the take-offs are used for trailer tires . However with the Triangle tires these things do not last very long before the sidewalls blow out. In the 4 years we have been using them over 350 of these have failed. The tire shop in town has warranted in excess of 150 These tires. They will just blow a sidewall section out without any warning!!! It is only a matter of time till somebody is badly injured around these time bombs. Now just before somebody say's OH YEA its an impact bruise that caused this WELL IT WASNT. Brand new set installed on unit #H146 in Nov. Truck has worked less than 20 shifts and two tires have already grown similar flotation devices to the one above. H152 same thing and this was AFTER the rubber compound was changed. If we can get 50% life out of them before they self destruct it is great. I have been very fortunate in that my truck has always had the Michelins on it (3 times the life) but they are getting down now but i will run them till there is just wire before any of these are installed. Cam the tireman has a pile across from his tireshop that would make anybody just shake your head. They are anywhere from new to 80% tire left and all have had a catastrophic failures. On top of all that then you have to pay to have the tires hauled away and disposed of (another 100 dollars each) HOWEVER you gotta admit the above pics are something you dont see every day LOL

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
HDX; Thanks for sharing pictures and information. Here are a few pics from last summer when I had an unforgettable/memorable day when you took me for a ride in H17. You picked up a huge load of heli logged hemlock (120-130 tons). 20 km ahead of Sarita dry land we heard i big bang. A trailer tire was flat. We limped back to Sarita. I can't remember; was a Triangle tire? Thanks for a great trip/day!

Attachments

• IMG_2301s.jpg
    IMG_2301s.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,951
  • IMG_2302s.jpg
    IMG_2302s.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,951

tugman

Occupation
Tug & Barge owner, operator
On a thread here called, "West coast logging camps, shops, barges etc, I have put up many pictures of old equipment that I move with my tug & barge. Barge camps etc. In early 70's I owned a log sorting ground, so I have albums of pictures dumping log barges etc. I sorted & boomed logs for M&B, Crown Zellerbach, Tahsis Co. & more. I'll get to scanning some of these pictures to show. Any of you who haven't seen them, may want to have a look.

Some that are particularly interesting. About the time self loading log barges were really becoming the way to transport logs, we still had some flat decks. Many of these were old ships that had just had a flat deck installed for carrying logs. Others were converted barges. However the interesting part is, in the summer when the logs got very dry (especially cedar). The barge will flood and tip, but the logs won't come off. We used to have a guy who would come along & set small charges of dynamite and shake 'em off. I have some very good close up pictures of this, (at the expense of having chunks off bark flying over my head.) These old flat decks were loaded with a spar and boom rigged on the beach. They were brought into a slip and loaded that way. A job my brother & I did in the early sixties.

Last edited:

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Some pictures of IPL #H152 Pacific P16 truck

Attachments

• IMG_1911s.jpg
    IMG_1911s.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,919
  • IMG_1921s.jpg
    IMG_1921s.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,909
  • IMG_2332s.jpg
    IMG_2332s.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,993
  • IMG_2333s.jpg
    IMG_2333s.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,958

Machinedr3

Occupation
heavy duty mechanic
Well it has taken a few hours to go through theses pages. Vancouver Island is where I was raised and the logging industry is where I started my carreer. These pictures and notes really bring back memories

tugman

Occupation
Some pictures from Port McNeill - A-frame and trucks - pretty busy but I only had half an hour:(
In 1973, I had the job of building all the stiff legs and floats for this booming ground, when M&B moved from Port Hardy to Port McNeill.

louisgbone

Occupation
Retired partsman and truck salesman
Dave I thought You might like to know the 27 CL350ST Mack was sold to Apex House Moving in may 1978 this company
was in burnaby,bc on the lower mainland . The CL350ST was designed by Pat Wilson of Mack Trucks in 1975 and was
introduced to the market in June 1976. Say in some pictures of CL350ST there are some with dual square headlamps
was this a Mack update or a M&B update. You say You worked for Island Mack could You tell Me who the owner of that company was
and any parts dept employees that You knew in Nanaimo I might know them and You as I worked on Vancouver Island in the 70,s

Dave Hadden

Occupation
Retired.
Dave I thought You might like to know the 27 CL350ST Mack was sold to Apex House Moving in may 1978 this company
was in burnaby,bc on the lower mainland . The CL350ST was designed by Pat Wilson of Mack Trucks in 1975 and was
introduced to the market in June 1976. Say in some pictures of CL350ST there are some with dual square headlamps
was this a Mack update or a M&B update. You say You worked for Island Mack could You tell Me who the owner of that company was
and any parts dept employees that You knew in Nanaimo I might know them and You as I worked on Vancouver Island in the 70,s

I suspect you're referring to me so here's a bit of my history and stuff.

When I went to work for Island Mack in 1987 the company was owned by three guys, Bill Trynchy, Roger Morrisey and Tom Shore.
Tom died not too long after I joined the company, probably in '88 or '89. Memory failing me. LOL
The two parts guys I worked with most were Bill Block and Jimmy Dawes. I had dealt with them for years previously as the Warehouseman/Buyer for BCFP at the Renfrew Logging Div. when they were with Peterbilt in Nanaimo. The wholesale use of jobber parts rather than OEM parts for Clark, K-B and others started about then as I recall too.
I started in the logging end of things in 1969 at Gold River when I became Warehouseman there. Probably met Bill and Jim somewhere after that.
I left there in 1973 then worked for a Campbell River gyppo for a few months, then at Arthur and Chant as a GM partsman for a bit then went to Juskatla as Warehouse Supervisor for 10 months or so in Feb. of '74.
Left there end of October 1974, went to Hawaii surfing then ended up moving to Jordan River in 1975 from whence I started for BCFP in 1976.
Got picked off in the mid '80's slump when we all shut down and stuff. Ended up working at Eden Lake in the Charlottes for Husby in '86-'87 which brings us back around to Island Mack truck, who I joined after leaving Husby.

I can't help you regarding the headlamp thing but I'm sure someone else can, given the extremely high level of knowledge available here. And I mean that in the most sincere and positive way too. Damned impressive stuff off this site, believe me.

Hope this helped a bit.

Take care.

Scott_527

Does anyone here know if Ted Leroys 124 and 075 were salvaged after they fell off tthe barge in Robson Bight? I've read a lot of stuff about the incident and cleanup but all they talk about is the feul truck. Is Ted LeRoy still in business or has he closed up completely?

tugman

Occupation
The only thing salvaged was the fuel truck. A salvage company from Holland came and did that work. As far as I know Ted Leroy is out of business. He was hiding out and did not attend court when he was supposed to. The court findings are on line here. His son Kevin is still in the trucking business.
Does anyone here know if Ted Leroys 124 and 075 were salvaged after they fell off tthe barge in Robson Bight? I've read a lot of stuff about the incident and cleanup but all they talk about is the feul truck. Is Ted LeRoy still in business or has he closed up completely?