• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

UV protection for hyd hoses

danielm

It seems to me that hose rubber doesn't last as long as it used to. I have several fairly new hydralic hoses that are cracking and decaying badly. I would have thought "Gates" hose would last longer than a year or two.

I'm wondering if painting them would protect them. I figure since my machine is exposed to the sun it must be UV light that is eating them up.

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
We have customers here that swear by the nylon sleeving. We use it on the hoses for the bucket cylinder on extendahoe units.
Here is a link to the product I am talking about. http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/product_p/nps-parent.htm
It is not bulky and can be slid over top of hoses it's a lot better than the spiral wrap.
my 2 cents worth.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Hydraulic hoses either fail from the inside out or on the ends where the couplers are pressed.

If the hose is seeping through the outside cover somewhere between the pressed on ends, the problem is the inner liner leaking. This is usually caused by overheating or improper bending when an implement moves. If the hose is leaking at the couplers it is usually improper assembly. What I have seen the most of is people using worn out press dies. I have also seen people use the wrong dies, two wire dies used on four wire hoses or the opposite. It is also possible that the wrong strength of hose is being used. Say a two wire hose is used in place of a four wire hose.

The outer covers on hydraulic hoses can be damaged quite extensively and the hose not fail. The outer covers protect the reinforcing wire from water which causes the wire to rust and eventually fail. There are several wraps available to prevent wearing directly on the outside of the hose.

It is also possible that a hose is used for an incompatible fluid. I have heard of this in other industries but generally exotic fluids require very expensive hose materials which would make the hose more expensive than the run of the mill contractor would pay for.

One last thought is that hydraulic hose has a shelf life of about six years. As I recall all the hydraulic hose used today is dated somewhere on the outside cover. It may be coded but you should be able to ask the question of the vender to make sure you are not getting a hose built from a remnant thrown in a barrel a long time ago.

So is it possible that the sun is causing premature failure of your hydraulic hoses. The answer is that it is very unlikely. You should have a serious talk with you vender.

Good Luck!

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
I think I know what Daniel was getting at. The hoses crack and expose the wire braiding. I know the rubber coating is just a protective covering but at many job sites here in Canada if an inspector sees that he will insist the hose be changed. Especially if you are working on the CN rail lines. The nylon covering protects it against cracking.
I also see John C's point, a lot of people associate seeing the braiding as being the cause of the leak. The coating may well crack but if it seeps oil the rubber outer coating being cracked is not the cause and John covered it nicely.

Baleburner

Occupation
Quality Assurance
It seems to me that hose rubber doesn't last as long as it used to. I have several fairly new hydralic hoses that are cracking and decaying badly. I would have thought "Gates" hose would last longer than a year or two.

I'm wondering if painting them would protect them. I figure since my machine is exposed to the sun it must be UV light that is eating them up.

What is the MSHA number on those Gates hoses with the poor cover? Is it IC-215/0?