• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

USA road and bridge construction being awarded to Chinese firms....

hvy 1ton

Sorry about the 30 second ad video, but ABC news reports.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/us-...513?tab=9482930?ion=1206853&playlist=14594944

Just noticed the date of this of 9/23/11, sorry if it has been brought up already.

As far as i know it's american contractors buying steel from chinese companies. I remember looking into this when it was a big deal. They made it sounds like it chinese companies are the prime contractors and are importing workers because it makes for better news.

KingRanch

Sounds like they are doing a lot of the fabrication work abroad and then shipping in the assmbled pices to the US so even thought it is still American workers buildinging the bridge they are using Chinese workers to build the pieces. Its Just the media puting their twist on it so that we all pay attention. They love to spin doom and gloom. What they leave out is that America produces about as much steel today as we did in the 1930's! How else are we going to build steel bridges unless we get steel from other countries.

alco

What they leave out is that America produces about as much steel today as we did in the 1930's! How else are we going to build steel bridges unless we get steel from other countries.

If there's no demand for it, why would they make more? Now, if they would order American made steel, there would be a demand. They could make more, and keep more folks working....just a thought.

Incidentally, the average raw steel production for the 30s was right around 32 million tons per year. In 2011, the US produced 86,247,000 tons of raw steel. So your estimate isn't really very accurate.

Last edited:

DPete

It just makes me sick, we were a nation of producers now a nation of consumers. Not only were the jobs lost but the profit of the job will go back to China, just stupid!

dirty4fun

The video that they showed on ABC for one of the bridges in CA it had Chinese contractor and Chinese workers. They declinded to use federal funds so they could have the steel and the work be done by foreigners. All the pictures showed Chinese. I wouldn't surprise me CA is broke, from dumb things like this. If they had Americans doing the work the money would stay here, and help CA they don't want to help even them selves.

KingRanch

If there's no demand for it, why would they make more? Now, if they would order American made steel, there would be a demand. They could make more, and keep more folks working....just a thought.

Incidentally, the average raw steel production for the 30s was right around 32 million tons per year. In 2011, the US produced 86,247,000 tons of raw steel. So your estimate isn't really very accurate.

you are correct that the US produced about 86,000,000 tons of raw steel in 2011. This number however, is small in comparison to China's production of 700,000,000 or about 45% of the worlds raw steel production. Legacy cost is what is killing Americas ability to compete in a global market. Unless our steel producers decide to embrace consolidation and globalization each year the US will account for less and less of the global steel production.

Bumpus

Occupation
Disability / Retired
The NAFTA agreement opened the door for foreign countries to do what they are doing now.

I was told over 20 years ago by ( a smart economist ) that Chinaese Companies and Chinese workers will be doing all of the American jobs.

They will be imported like bees in a hive
and work cheaper than the Mexicans.

This is just the beginning, and they are already doing this in Africa on a very large scale,
only using Native Africans to do cleanup and shovel work Manually.

With all of the foreclosed on empty houses, they will pile in groups like work camps.

heavylift

did some work a Boeing/Spirit in Kansas , all the steel for the building had made in messico stickers on it.

Bumpus

Occupation
Disability / Retired
China was sending their steel of all kinds
to the United States from back in the 1980"s.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
While the State of California is shoving CARB rules down the throats of their local contractors, the DOT hires out bridge fabrication to a Chinese firm. What amount of the "savings" the DOT received were from the Chinese company NOT having to adhere to CARB rules overseas?:cool2

When the Gov't purposely handicaps our industries with environmental and other regulations that foreign companies do not have to follow and then have the audacity to say they saved money by going with a foreign made product is Traitorous, despicable and disgusting.:mad:

I have been to China twice and they care not about their environment....:rolleyes:

DPete

The NAFTA agreement opened the door for foreign countries to do what they are doing now.

Agree to that, free trade just opened the door for other countries to develop on our money. Import foreign goods and export jobs, brilliant!!

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
That guy from Cali stated that there's a shortage of American welders.I simply will not believe that.If they're not already living/working there,I'm positive that there would be plenty of eager welders from Steam fitters unions in any state willing to travel.I smell BS!!!!

alco

That guy from Cali stated that there's a shortage of American welders.I simply will not believe that.If they're not already living/working there,I'm positive that there would be plenty of eager welders from Steam fitters unions in any state willing to travel.I smell BS!!!!

Ahhh, but what he meant to say, is that there is a shortage of American welders who are willing to work for $3 an hour. We had a company import temporary foreign workers because they couldn't find Canadian workers...(who were willing to work for peanuts). They ended up having to redo a bunch of the work as the plant was falling apart during commissioning. Saved a lot of money there. eh?

louisejane

While the State of California is shoving CARB rules down the throats of their local contractors, the DOT hires out bridge fabrication to a Chinese firm. What amount of the "savings" the DOT received were from the Chinese company NOT having to adhere to CARB rules overseas?:cool2

When the Gov't purposely handicaps our industries with environmental and other regulations that foreign companies do not have to follow and then have the audacity to say they saved money by going with a foreign made product is Traitorous, despicable and disgusting.:mad:

I have been to China twice and they care not about their environment....:rolleyes:

Interesting... I've been in China for three months and I love their environment, the people around and their way of living.

Last edited: