• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

USA road and bridge construction being awarded to Chinese firms....

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
It just makes me sick, we were a nation of producers now a nation of consumers. Not only were the jobs lost but the profit of the job will go back to China, just stupid!

dont think just because the stoped making it in the USA that it goes to china heaps of jobs are leaving china also and NOT going back to the USA they are going to cheaper places like vietnam , india , phillippines and so on. and trust me i would love there to be more products manufactured in my home contry of australia but it just cant be until people change there ways seriously in australia everyone really when it comes to just about buying anything all they want is cheap look at Walmart. the US might be differant just saying what i know

louisejane

dont think just because the stoped making it in the USA that it goes to china heaps of jobs are leaving china also and NOT going back to the USA they are going to cheaper places like vietnam , india , phillippines and so on. and trust me i would love there to be more products manufactured in my home contry of australia but it just cant be until people change there ways seriously in australia everyone really when it comes to just about buying anything all they want is cheap look at Walmart. the US might be differant just saying what i know

I agree with you on that. I actually buy products from my home country and support those.

ben46a

Well I look at bethlehem steel as an example. One of the largest steel firms in the world 60 years ago. But as the 70s and 80s came and went, the labour rates were so high that they couldn't compete with the foreign steel. The labour rates here in north america were climbing sharply but not overseas. Once the foreign steel got to a point where the price was much lower than local steel, the us firms had no choice but to use the foreign as a way to maintain a competitive price for the bidding process. It sucks for sure, but that's the way it is in a global market. Now bethlehem is nothing more than a memory.

louisejane

I cannot open the link containing the video. Anyone can send me another link? This is very interesting topic.

louisejane

Well I look at bethlehem steel as an example. One of the largest steel firms in the world 60 years ago. But as the 70s and 80s came and went, the labour rates were so high that they couldn't compete with the foreign steel. The labour rates here in north america were climbing sharply but not overseas. Once the foreign steel got to a point where the price was much lower than local steel, the us firms had no choice but to use the foreign as a way to maintain a competitive price for the bidding process. It sucks for sure, but that's the way it is in a global market. Now bethlehem is nothing more than a memory.

Why you say so? I don't get it dude :cool:

Last edited:

louisejane

Its their way of surviving. I think they buy those steel in the US and improve them then they sell it back with higher price. What do you think?

louisejane

Its their way also of surviving. I think they buy those steel in the US and improve them then they sell it back with higher price. What do you think? They cannot made their own output that's why they just buy items from other county and revise it.

blitz138

Interesting... I've been in China for three months and I love their environment, the people around and their way of living.

Then you have never been to the industrial parts of China. The tourist parts are beautiful but places like SinJhin and Tianjin are a different story.

RBMcCloskey

Occupation
Heavy Construction Contractor
Typical ABC inacturate BS, they wouldn't know the truth if it bite them in the butt.

1) The steel for the bridge in California is being fabricated in China, C.C. Meyers is the General Contractor, Clint Meyers is not Chinese.

2) The Alexander Hamilton Bridge in NYC is a Joint Venture of Halmar and China Construction America, ALL the Labor on the job is from the NYC building trades, no Chinese labor. Some of the TEMPORARY steel for support of the existing structures was fabricated in China, this was because of scheduling, the US mills were too busy.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Sonds like they're not real good at bridges anyway... :cool2

A collapsing bridge in northern China killed three people and injured five others on Friday.

The Yangmingtan Bridge stretched across the Songhua River in the Heilongjiang province, according to the BBC. But the collapsed section, which was about 328 feet long, came from a ramp over dry land. It was about 5:30 a.m. when four loaded trucks spilled onto the ground as the road beneath them fell apart.

The worst part is that nobody is surprised by Friday's tragedy; this was China's sixth major bridge collapse since July of 2011....

Davvinciman

Occupation
Operating engineer and business owner
What are you talking about?

Typical ABC inacturate BS, they wouldn't know the truth if it bite them in the butt.

1) The steel for the bridge in California is being fabricated in China, C.C. Meyers is the General Contractor, Clint Meyers is not Chinese.

2) The Alexander Hamilton Bridge in NYC is a Joint Venture of Halmar and China Construction America, ALL the Labor on the job is from the NYC building trades, no Chinese labor. Some of the TEMPORARY steel for support of the existing structures was fabricated in China, this was because of scheduling, the US mills were too busy.

http://americanmanufacturing.org/blog/deceitful-chinese-bid-oakland-bay-bridge-harms-california
Please read this to get some facts on this bridge in San Francisco.
Shanghai Zhenhua Heavy Industries Co. is the prime on the job. Shanghai Zhenhua is a unit of Hong Kong-listed China Communications Construction Co. and the article states that the reason they got the bid was not because American manufacturers could not provide the steel, it was because Zhenhua set a schedule that American contractors could not meet. Read the article; the Chinese couldn't meet the schedule either and the "the whole project is three years behind schedule and $5.2 billion over budget".
READ AND LEARN FELLOW AMERICANS!

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
http://americanmanufacturing.org/blog/deceitful-chinese-bid-oakland-bay-bridge-harms-california
Please read this to get some facts on this bridge in San Francisco.
Shanghai Zhenhua Heavy Industries Co. is the prime on the job. Shanghai Zhenhua is a unit of Hong Kong-listed China Communications Construction Co. and the article states that the reason they got the bid was not because American manufacturers could not provide the steel, it was because Zhenhua set a schedule that American contractors could not meet. Read the article; the Chinese couldn't meet the schedule either and the "the whole project is three years behind schedule and $5.2 billion over budget".
READ AND LEARN FELLOW AMERICANS!

mate that source seems sketchy at best it was posted by someone who did not even put there name to the artical so yeah i think i would stick with RBMcCloskey first part

"Posted by Anonymous on 07/18/2011 " (yeah seems legit for sure)"

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
The sad fact is that China overtook America in the steel production and steel fabrication business around 10 years ago, and it's probably a bitter pill for most Americans to swallow, when American steel dominated the world for so many decades.
China produced over 683,000,000 tonnes of finished steel last year, and perhaps a few million tonnes less this year. Compare that with U.S. steel production that will be struggling to produce 100,000,000 tonnes of steel this year.
U.S. steel production peaked in the early 1970's at about 150,000,000 tonnes.
The Chinese rapid acceptance of, and construction of, large numbers of electric arc furnace steel mills has seen their steel production soar with correspondingly lower production costs.
In the U.S., electric arc furnace steel production is barely 50% of total steel production. America has had to import steel for the last 4 decades to meet demand, and nothing has changed in the last few years to change that scenario.

The Chinese steel quality isn't a problem, because the largest amount of furnace feed in China comes from the highest quality iron ore in the world - West Australian iron ore.
More of a concern is the CA Govts attempt to cut bridge costs by using Chinese labour in the fabrication of the bridge sections.
Most Chinese labour is relatively unskilled, they have poor education, and struggle to read and comprehend instructions and plans. Most are rural peasants, drawn to the factories by the lure of high wages.
The average wage for a Chinese worker in the steel fab industry in China is $9 a day. The workers are grumbling a bit, because they reckon they should be getting $12 a day, due to internal cost pressures.
It will be interesting to see what happens when the Chinese workers start to agitate for better wages. I don't think they've got the "Chinese Union of Steel Workers" to help them get their pay increase!
Any strikes or revolt by the Chinese steel workers will be put down violently by the PLA, they will just move in and shoot them, and organise replacements. I'm really glad I live where I do!

The bottom line is that the CA Govt claims they saved $400M by getting the steel from China, and the fabrication done by the Chinese. On a $7.2B job, that's not a huge saving.
The steel part is probably O.K. - but the unless the fabrication has been scrutinised carefully, and proper quality controls instituted - and the bridge falls apart because of poor construction work, who is going to pick up the tab?
Not the Chinese, I'll wager. It will be the long-suffering ole U.S. taxpayers once again - and all to try and save a measly $400M on a $7.2B job??

Last edited: