1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Uneven Cutting Edge on Loader

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by Wyo99, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Wyo99

Wyo99 Member

Hey all quick question, I’m looking into getting a new backhoe and while corresponding with the seller they have sent me a few pictures, one thing stands out that worries me, the cutting edge on the loader doesn’t appear to be wearing evenly. The left side is worn more than the right. Is that just a product of pushing snow and the crown of the road/street wore that side more, or is it something more serious? If it is more serious what should I be looking for when I inspect the machine?

2. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

The loader frame could be sprung or bent.

Bls repair and kshansen like this.
  3. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

Some people favor one side for loading the corner of the bucket and wear that more.

Mother Deuce likes this.
  4. InsleyGuy

InsleyGuy Well-Known Member

Could be different size rear tires

Bls repair, kith and kshansen like this.
  5. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

Can you post some pics.?

6. Wyo99

Wyo99 Member

These are the best I have, thanks for the input! 77874927-0804-4A40-9A3C-C38DFEB3B900.png 141B1F0C-CA77-424E-8973-D9C740941277.jpeg 24C31AF5-E82B-456C-B8B8-B862BE48155E.jpeg

7. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

Ok, that's not too bad. I think some of us were worried the bucket was twisted but it's a bolt on edge and looks like it could be turned around so you'd have a new edge to work with. The welded bucket edge is fine. Not a bad looking machine.

Tinkerer and DMiller like this.
  8. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

This is why photos are necessary.
    I had a mental vision of a much worse condition.
    Are all of the bucket bushings nice and tight ?

Mother Deuce and kshansen like this.
  9. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Yes not bad to me.

A few years back at the quarry we had an outside contractor rebuilt a 966D bucket. We always had had company welders to that kind of wok but you know how it goes with upper management thinking(I use that word loosely) they think hiring work out is better than letting the guys who have done it for decades is the best option.

Well when we reinstalled the bucket one front corner was about 2 inches off the floor when other side was touching. This was on a nice flat shop floor! Also had a noticeable bow in the center. They did come out and do some work on it but never got it to be perfect.:mad:

10. Tones

Tones Senior Member

land clearing contractor
    Different tyre pressures can be the cause of this. It can also be the fix:D

11. Wyo99

Wyo99 Member

I haven’t seen the machine yet, so I couldn’t tell you if the bucket bushings are tight or not, sounds like the uneven edge is a minor problem, especially if the other side hasn’t been used yet. Thanks!

12. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    Probably just an operator who likes to look over one side of the machine when using the loader. Maybe it was being used to clean the left side of a passage like in a dairy cow barn.

The more important part of the bucket to look at is the very back under where the boom connects. Plenty of people use the back of the bucket to smooth the dirt.