• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

UC on D5H XL

jrm1504

Occupation
Apple farmer from central Wa
We are considering trading off our 1996 D5H XL for a D6N. However, the UC is probably about 75% worn and we are worried what this will do to the re-sale or trade in value.

How much is new UC going to cost? Local cat dealer seems to think it will be $25,000 for the parts alone then the labor on top of that.

Any advise?

Lee-online

We are installing a brand new UC on a D5H at work as we speak.

New rollers, idlers, chains, sprocket segments, wear strips, hardware, resealing adjusters. The track shoes are not worn out so they are getting reused.

I think the quote was $18K for parts. All Cat, no aftermarket.

The trade in value will be based on the condition of the machine including the UC.

QuickTrax

$25K seems like a very high price to me even if its OEM. You should be able to get a complete bottom somewhere aftermarket for around 12K give or take some $.
I would suggest shopping around and finding a deal.
Good Luck,
QuickTrax

mitch504

I guess I can say this, cause he did not ask me to! I would contact QuikTrax of texas, cause he sure was good when I worked on the final drive and adjuster on my Cat 215c LC.

jrm1504

Occupation
I guess I can say this, cause he did not ask me to! I would contact QuikTrax of texas, cause he sure was good when I worked on the final drive and adjuster on my Cat 215c LC.

So did you just get the parts and do the work yourself?

mitch504

Yeah, I used to be a heavy equip mech till I lost my mind and bought my own equipment. Quiktrax beat all my local aftermarket dealers and cat, even with shipping. Shop foreman (Quiktrax on HEF) was very good about finding info for me too.

jrm1504

Occupation
Yeah, I used to be a heavy equip mech till I lost my mind and bought my own equipment. Quiktrax beat all my local aftermarket dealers and cat, even with shipping. Shop foreman (Quiktrax on HEF) was very good about finding info for me too.

Dare I ask, but what sort of a job was it?

We have a really good and bright farm mechanic on staff. Mainly he just fabricates things and tears down our orchard tractors and equipment. It is nothing to see a tractor with one half here and the other half there. The largest job he ever tackled with rebuilding the front hub on our JD 4955 wheel tractor. He said it was pretty tough because he had to support the front of the tractor and then just the sheer size of the wheel and hub. A D5 H isn't a 75hp orchard tractor.

I'm just a dumb farmer.

dirtmonkey

Occupation
dozer monkey , self employed
I was also very pleased with QuickTrax service, parts and PRICE! It was nice to do business with a fellow HEF er !

Lee-online

You can do the work yourself. It is just a matter of unbolting and removing parts, cleaning mount areas and reinstalling, torquing to specs.
You can block up the machine high enough to use a floor jack on the rollers or, like we do it, just remove the side frames and flip them. There is a technique to installing the tracks and even blocking up the machine without the use of a crane and we can tell you how to do it if necessary

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I would ask if you think replacing the undercarriage with an aftermarket product will increase the trade value the Cat dealer will offer or are you considering keeping the machine?

mitch504

Dare I ask, but what sort of a job was it?

I had the hub break out of the sprocket and destroy the seal housing, and I had to rethread and reshape the shaft in the final drive. Needless to say, it was a bear. However, a straightforward undercarriage rebuild is not too bad.

I wish you were a few thousand miles closer, I would make you an offer as-is. I really would like to have a D5H.

jrm1504

Occupation
I would ask if you think replacing the undercarriage with an aftermarket product will increase the trade value the Cat dealer will offer or are you considering keeping the machine?

It may increase the value at the Cat dealer. But I'm not sure. The sales staff seemed awfully high and mighty; if it isn't cat its crap sort of mentality. The shop guys are pretty cool though and don't pass judgement. They just get it done. Too bad they don't cut the deals.

Now if i decide to sell it private party or something, I would think it would help the resale.

One thought we have had is to keep it over the summer when we build our irrigation ponds. Run the D6 and the D5. That would probably run the UC out.

Last edited:

jrm1504

Occupation
You can do the work yourself. It is just a matter of unbolting and removing parts, cleaning mount areas and reinstalling, torquing to specs.
You can block up the machine high enough to use a floor jack on the rollers or, like we do it, just remove the side frames and flip them. There is a technique to installing the tracks and even blocking up the machine without the use of a crane and we can tell you how to do it if necessary

That would be awesome.

jrm1504

Occupation
I got the "official" report yesterday...

They calculate the UC is about 80% worn.

They are willing to give a trade in value of $26,000.

Considering that on the online classifieds they seem to be $35-40,000 with good UCs that trade in value doesn't seem to be too bad seeing some of you are saying $12,000 for a new bottom.

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
sounds fair for a worn out bottom, at a richie auction last week I saw low hour K series dozers going in the 70k range with decent bottoms