• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

U/C is it better to be slow or fast???

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
I have been running iron since 5 and one thing that i could never completely understand was the corilation between speed and wear on U/C.
my dad and some of the old boys from the company always told me that walking a hoe in fast mode or running the 850c in 3rd was hard on u/c.

I always thought that if you were a good dozer op. you could cut grade @ 2.5-3 Atleast i can on ours. So i am traveling the same distance as i would at a slower spd and doing the same amount of work, so the only diference is that i am being more productive.

what are your opinions on this topic?

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
But how? same distance same wear as far as i'm concerned, that kind of speed produces no more heat than it would going slower would it ??

nilzlofgren

I have been running iron since 5 and one thing that i could never completely understand was the corilation between speed and wear on U/C.
my dad and some of the old boys from the company always told me that walking a hoe in fast mode or running the 850c in 3rd was hard on u/c.

I always thought that if you were a good dozer op. you could cut grade @ 2.5-3 Atleast i can on ours. So i am traveling the same distance as i would at a slower spd and doing the same amount of work, so the only diference is that i am being more productive.

what are your opinions on this topic?

Here is the answer.http://http://www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/construction/deere_const/media/pdf/DKB765.pdf

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
You don't produce enough heat in the undercarriage of a machine to do any damage. All of things in the Deere publication listed in the post above explains it very good. One of the better publications I have seen on the subject.

JDOFMEMI

Like Greg says, that is one of the best presentations I have seen to explain U/C wear and its causes. I especially like the graphic showing the wear in reverse.

I have understood this for many years, but never seen it explained in such an easy to understand way.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
High speed operations cause impact loading on the sprockets and bushings, especially in reverse. I have seen up to 30% faster wear for dozers with operators who continually run third gear reverse. I usually advise customers that I like being paid to work on undercarriage, so keep up the good work.

Excavators use a different kind of track link and they don't move nearly as fast. I generally only ask operators to make sure the sprockets are always on the down hill side of travel. Reverse operation still wears out chain faster but excavators are only carrying their own weight.

rutwad

So don't back up, don't turn, don't work on hillsides, don't work along crowns are swales, don't go fast, don't go far and your undercarriage will last longer!!!

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
Wow alot of that stuff i knew already but that definately reinforces my dad's point.

I think i will print that off and go through some of that material on monday's start up meeting.

Thank you guys :drinkup

coalrulz

mmm so if i don't use the machine it will last for ever!!!! wow i just saved thousands in fuel and maintenance

All sarcasm aside, there are slight changes to operator procedures that can be made to prolong undercarriage life, after all undercarriage accounts for more than 50 percent of maintenance costs of a dozer over it's life.

JDOFMEMI

Which is why parts of the U/C on high tracks lost some life from the beginning. It led Cat to develop better components to get the life back up to the acceptable range. The arguement is that they are more productive, so it balances out. Not always though.

Notice the smaller Cat machines all going back to low drive.

rutwad

Which is why parts of the U/C on high tracks lost some life from the beginning. It led Cat to develop better components to get the life back up to the acceptable range. The arguement is that they are more productive, so it balances out. Not always though.

Notice the smaller Cat machines all going back to low drive.

What makes them more productive??

johncxr

850J. I set the reverse speed to 130% and boy the bushings on the chain literally cracked and started flaking off within 300 hours.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
What makes them more productive??
It eliminates the final drive system that oval track dozers have. The drive sprockets don't have to carry the weight of the dozer only drive it so more pushing power. The tracks fallow the contours of the ground better so more traction and smother ride. I'm sure theres more too.

deerefan

Occupation
operator
So what's the verdict? Go slower and take more tome to do the job, but have your U/C last longer. Or go faster get the job done quicker, make more money, but more maintenance?? im confused.

sultan

So what's the verdict? Go slower and take more tome to do the job, but have your U/C last longer. Or go faster get the job done quicker, make more money, but more maintenance?? im confused.

From my very limited experience with dozers, you can be just as productive and sometimes even more productive doing big heavy slow pushes than by fast and light pushes, and reduce the wear on the undercarriage. I haven't run any hydro dozers, so I can't say what to do with them, but when pushing a full bladeful on a powershift push cat, first gear gives much better performance and efficiency than second. You also have more time to think and control grade better in first gear. In other words, you can get an area to the basic (but not finish) grade just as quickly and perhaps quicker by doing full pushes at a slow speed rather than by going fast and doing light pushes. You normally can't get full pushes going much faster than 1st gear speed. Thus, slow but full pushes are just as productive as fast light pushes, but slow pushes reduce the wear and tear on the undercarriage.

For smoothing and final grade though, 2nd gear seems better, because you just want to make fine adjustments to a large area quickly, and no great earthmoving pushing force is needed. 3rd gear is just for travel around the job site in a 3 speeder.

I'm no real dozer operator though, I've just messed around with them a bit, so don't take my words as the 'facts.' What do the real dozer operators here think about this?