• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Type of Truck to Start With

Snatch

Occupation
Civil Engineer/ Contractor
We want to expand our equipment business and purchase our first truck, we are thinking about buying a used one. We are thinking about a Ford L9000 (short body) with a double axle at the back. We are looking for a very reliable, we are looking for a truck that we can get parts easily in the US as we are located in the Caribbean.

Can anyone give us advise on our intended purchase and/or recommend another truck or possible reliable suppliers?

Thanks
Snatch

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums!!:drinkup

What will you be using the truck for? I have a lot of hours in the seat of L series Fords, they are one of my favorite to drive.

Snatch

Occupation
Type of trucks to start with

Thanks for your prompt response.

The truck will be used to haul construction material..sand, aggregates etc. It will be used to transport material on and offsite..topsoil, dredge silt, fill material. The roads that it is to be used on will be generally flat.

Thanks
Snatch

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Welcome to the site :drinkup

Anyhow it sounds like you need a tough old truck I would probably suggest a Mack. I'am a Ford man as you can see with my user name but when it comes to heavier offroading Mack and Kenworth make a better truck. I don't know if Kenworth is as popular in the Southern US where you are prolly going to be buying a truck from and getting parts for a truck from.

Good Luck with the decision :thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:

Snatch

Occupation
FORD LT 9000,

The name snatch means i will grab (snatch) any opportunities that may come. No offense should be taken!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your reply. Do you consider Macks reliable?. I believe i would be able to get parts for macks in florida. I am looking for a machine that will make break into the market as easy and as safe as possible

Thanks for you advise.
Please take no offense.

SN

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
As for Macks they are reliable and tough its very rare you see a Mack with driveline problems. The trucks with all Mack parts are good trucks you get the ones with other manufacturers parts like different rear ends or engine or transmission its dubbed a Mutt.

If you found a R model with 350hp Mack engine with a 12spd with a heavy front axle with Mack rears and camel back suspension. Finding a short wheelbase Mack with heavier driveline will be easier.

The Fords are good if you can find a heavy one something with a 20,000lb front axle and 46,000lb rear axles with Cummins or Cat power.

Snatch

Occupation
Thanks for your advise. I will look for used ford or mack ideally a short wheel base, with the thought of putting on cheater boards to increase my capacity.

Thanks
SN

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
It sounds as if you are talking about a dump truck? Mack is probably the most durable truck for that purpose, the DM series are very stout. The cabs are a bit uncomfortable however and very small. I drove one for 2 years in heavy construction and was down only once for about 2 hours during that period, a blown hose.

Depending on the conditions of your roads and your need to go off road, a Ford or International would also serve you well. There are contractors in my area, NY, that use both and have had trucks in service for well over 15 years. Our roads are not the best, we are subject to frost cycles and potholes galore. These contractors often do site work with their trucks as well, going off road frequently.