• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trojan Loader Repower with Cummins 4BT

chansey

Occupation
Retired Project Engineering Manager
Finally had some time to work on the loader today.

The spacer that was made to make up the gap between the flywheel and torque converter drive plates fit perfectly.

Made the front motor mounts today. Used some spring perches from a heavy truck that were L-shaped for the lower plate. The engine came with "shop fab" mounts attached to the engine. Made them work with the pieces I made up. Used mid-90's Dodge 2-piece cab mounts for the motor mounts. Works great as the lower half goes into the lower plate and protrudes about 3/8" above the plates. The upper half has a molded-in steel [late and a recess where the protrusion nests into. I have used these on other installations and the work exceptionally well.

The Trojan OEM transmission oil cooler would not fit in the position where it was installed for the Deutz. Even if it would have fit, I would have had to add a cooling fan because the Deutz had a sheet metal air duct supplying air. Stopped by a heavy truck parts salvage yard and picked up a oil cooler from a C-15 Cat engine. I just need to run water to the cooler. The tube bundle has large castings on both ends that mount to the engine. I have removed these and will be modifying the tube bundle by machining bell ends with bolt tabs to tie the bell ends together to keep them from leaking.

I'll attach photos of them fab parts later.

Tomorrow the radiator and air cooler go in and then all I have is electrical and we'll fire it up.

Paul

chansey

Occupation
Had a few hours today to work on the Trajan Loader 4BT Conversion

Mocked up the air cooler in the loader today. Thought that the 3"x 90 deg elbows would not clear the hood and structure. Finally got it to fit with about 1/2" clearance on each side and 3/4" from the radiator.

Started to work on the oil cooler. Removed the BIG pieces that bolt to the engine block on the Cat C15 oil cooler. These are mounted to the block and hold water from leaking by using 4.25" o-rings on each end. Pressure holds them together by mounting the assy to the engine block. Since the one for the loader will be a stand alone cooler, two end caps were used along with the Deutz hose hardware and welded them to both ends. If the cooler ever fails, it's a throw away. Need to fab a mounting bracket and run water lines to and from the oil cooler. The oil supply and return on the cooler are flange type similar to the type used for a thermostat. The fab will include a flat plates, gaskets and fittings to match the Deutz hoses.

Had a water radiator hose in my odds & ends bin that fit the top return perfectly on the radiator and engine. The bottom hose will require a 24" pipe, two 90 deg ells and a reducer. Have good clearance for the fan and hoses all around.

I was going to post pics tonight but I left the camera with the loader. Just have to wait one more day.

Getting closer to firing it up.

Paul

Last edited:

chansey

Occupation
Progress Pics

Engine Motor Mount.jpg
Original motor mount that was installed on the engine. Reused this portion.

Completed Motor Mount.jpg Completed Motor Mount 2.jpg
Completed motor mount using heavy truck suspension L-bracket and Dodge cab mounts

Radiator Support & Mounted.jpg
The radiator mounting flange was within 1/2" of the loader frame and was able to use 1-1/2" angle iron to mount to the frame and to the radiator flange on both sides. Fast and easy attachment. That's a $35 1970's Ford brass radiator.

Deutz OEM Transmission Oil Cooler.jpg
This is the OEM Deutz transmission oil cooler. I was not able to use it, just could not make it fit behind the engine and cab. Removed the fittings for reuse on Plan B oil cooler

CONTINUED

chansey

Occupation
Trojan Loader Repower with Cummins 4BT

Part 2

Assembled Cat Oil Coller.jpg
This is what a Cat C15 engine oil cooler looks like. It is held together by a 1/4" thick o-ring that fits into the housings. When installed, the housings apply pressure to the oil cooler to keep it from leaking. I had to figure out what to do with it to make it work. Decided to blank off the ends with plates and install the OEM fittings so that everything would bolt up like the original. No other changes required. Still have to blank off the oil supply and return and weld fittings to it.

Cap Plates for Cat Oil Cooler.jpg Cap Plates for Cat Oil Cooler & Fittings.jpg Cat Oil Cooler with Plates Welded.jpg
The completed assy was mig welded and leak checked--one pin hole !!!!. Need to come up with a mounting bracket of some sort.

This repower has been hassle free. Nothing that was not expected.

Things to do yet;
Fab lower radiator hose
Fab mounting brackets for air cooler & connect
Run air lines to compressor
Provide filtered fresh air to air compressor
Fab lever assy for throttle. Injection pump is now on the opposite side
Electrical re-wire & change over to 12 volt system

Not difficult, just takes time and since I am retired I just work on it as the weather permits.

Paul

Last edited:

chansey

Occupation
Managed to complete a few Items today

Trojan4BTLowerRadiatorHose_zps33c62263.jpg
Mocked up the lower hose. Need to work on this

Trojan4BTAirCoolerRHSide_zps700d6819.jpg
The air cooler hose clears well. The fabricated upper support is seen on the cooler

Trojan4BTAirCoolerTubeRHSide_zpsdcb7ace1.jpg
Fitted the intake hose to the cooler. Need to cut a longer aluminum tube to complete

Trojan4BTAirCoolerLowerSupport_zpsfe7317c8.jpg
Made a lower cooler support bracket from plate and 1"X1" angle

Trojan4BTAirCoolerUpperSupport_zpsf280e285.jpg
This is the upper support made from 1/2" sq tube and plate

Will have a few hrs tomorrow to work on a support bracket and chase parts for the throttle linkage and then electrical.

Not going very fast, but the craftmanship is ok and functional.

Paul

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Nice work and thank you for sharing with us.Ron G

chansey

Occupation
4BT Lower Radiator Hose

In post #65 , noted that I needed to work on the hose problem to make it look like it came with the Trojan loader

Here is what one person did and seems quite proud that he was able to solve the problem .... 7 clamps no less !!!!

LowerRadiatorHose.jpg

I will try to do much better.

Paul

Last edited:

oarwhat

Maybe you could use some single wire hose that is used in boats. It's flexible won't kink or crush. I've used it on allot of my old equipment.

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
It it were me id use some pipe have a muffler shop bend it for me and just use rubber hose on the ends

chansey

Occupation
Thanks for the suggestions

The radiator outlet is 2" and the engine outlet is 2-1/4".

I agree that a formed tube with short nipples is probably the way to go.

Picked up some material yesterday to make a bellcrank lever assy for the throttle. I was able to re-route the cable from the pedal over to the LH side so that I can reuse it.

As with any project, it's the little things that eat your lunch.

Paul

chansey

Occupation
Progress Update

Finished up all the cool air tubing and connected it to the turbo. Looks good.

Finished the the throttle linkage and just needs to be bolted in place.

I found 2 Gates hoses that end up parallel to the radiator. Need to fab a tube with 90's at each end and cooling system is complete.

Need to fab a support platform the the transmission oil cooler and plumb it in to the engine block.

Last but not least, the electrical, it's all straight forward. I leave the electrical to the very end. You can always reroute wires as needed and not have it in the way when working on all the permanent things.

Was gonna post pics, but I forgot to take the camera with me. Will have to wait til Monday to post. Wife gave strict commands that this weekend was hers no matter what. I guess that Cupid fella has a lot of pull, at least more than I have.

At this point I am a day away for firing the loader up. I wish I could say I was extremely excited to be so close, however this has sorta been routine throughout my career as a Plant Engineer. One large machine failure after another, if parts are not available, redesign or fab what needs to be done and move on to the next. After ntthe loader, I will be working on my Honda VTX 1300 trike. Has a Champion diff and frame section. It was involved in a crash, no forks or any thing up front. Have a Sportster fork assy to mount on a 7 deg EZ Tree and Harley spoke wheel and tire. Had to cut the frame in pieces to get the motor & trans out. Purchased a new frame and mounted the engine and trans in the new chassis last winter. Want to ride this summer

VTX1300CComingHome.jpg

Paul

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
"I will be working on my Honda VTX 1300 trike. Has a Champion diff and frame section. It was involved in a crash, no forks or any thing up front. Have a Sportster fork assy to mount on a 7 deg EZ Tree and Harley spoke wheel and tire. Had to cut the frame in pieces to get the motor & trans out. Purchased a new frame and mounted the engine and trans in the new chassis last winter. Want to ride this summer"

How about doing a topic in the TGIF section here on the Trike build?(Rebuild?)

One word of caution about trikes, being a three track vehicle if there is something like road kill in your lane you will almost definitely going to hit it with one of the three! That's is one advantage of sidecars, like mine, as long as it's not too tall you can straddle it between the bike and the sidecar! After this Trojan repower the Sportster front on a Honda should be a weekend job for you!

chansey

Occupation
I took "kshansen" up on the suggestion to post the trike build on TGIF on the form. It is titled, Honda VTX 1300C Trike Build.

You are welcome to follow along.

I still have another pending project and that is a build on my G 506 1-1/2 ton truck. The 4BT that is in the loader now was supposed to go into the G 506.

G506-3.jpg

This is what it looks like today. Have stripped it down to just a chassis. I have a complete 1996 Chevy 3500 HD that I want to use as a donor for the running gear. Engine will be either a 4BT or 6BT with an Allison and 4X4.

G506 Rod.jpg
This is what I am aiming for when it is completed.

Paul

chansey

Occupation
Here are pics from last week.

Tojan Loade 4BT Lowe Hose.jpg
Trojan Loader Lower Hose H.jpg

This is the lower radiator return hose installation. Looks OEM, plumb, square and only 4 clamps.

Trojan Loade 4BT Throttle Linkage.jpg
Throttle linkage to connect to 4BT cable and loade throttle pedal

Trojan 4BT Air cooler 1.jpg
Trojan 4BT Air Coole LH.jpg

continued

chansey

Occupation
Part 2

Trojan 4BT Air cooler 1.jpg

The air cooler install is complete. Overall I am pleased with the final fitment.

Things still left to do
Connect throttle cables
Make mount for oil cooler
Connect water line to oil cooler
Connect air discharge hose to air compressor
Electrical wiring
Add fluids and fire up

Will not be working on it for a few days. Drafting drawings for a commercial remodel.

Paul

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
That army truck is a cool machine.That would be from a generation before mine,world war II stuff like the old command cars.That stuff was sold as military surplus and used in my generation,born in '41 and grew up watching them as log trucks during the fifties going past my school during the day on the way to the mill.That was excitement in those days.
We had four grades in one school with less than 20 kids in the whole school with one teacher for us all.Ron G

chansey

Occupation
Ron,

Thanks for your nice comments.

Both the wife and me wanted something unusual for our Sunday ride-- the G 506 will do it.

I'm not a "purist" when it comes to vintage vehicles, especially military vehicles. Just to get the chassis to some decent state would be in the mega bucks. The cab has a wrinkle at the top of the rear window and the left fender has a small chunk out of it. There is only one rust spot on the truck, just forward of the passenger side where the floor meets the outer skin panel.

Paul

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Years ago when I to be active on the "Allpar" bulletin board there was a member there that had an old 3/4 ton all restored with A/C in it and as I remember everything else was original.That really brought back the memories.The only time I ever got to ride in one was during shift change while on guard duty but I shall never forget it just the same.Thank you Paul for providing the pics and commentary of your projects,they are greatly appreciated by most of us and we look forward to them.Ron G

chansey

Occupation
I was able to get a few hours of work in today.

Fabricated a "U-shaped" turbo exhaust elbow

Fabricated a support bracket and base plate for the transmission oil cooler

Fabricated a bracket to mount the throttle cable from the foot pedal

Tomorrow I will tie up some loose ends and fire it up

Will post pics tomorrow after it is running.

Paul

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I was able to get a few hours of work in today.

Fabricated a "U-shaped" turbo exhaust elbow

Fabricated a support bracket and base plate for the transmission oil cooler

Fabricated a bracket to mount the throttle cable from the foot pedal

Tomorrow I will tie up some loose ends and fire it up

Will post pics tomorrow after it is running.

Paul

How about a YouTube video?