• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trojan Loader Repower with Cummins 4BT

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
That rocker switch does not look too special. I'd start with a search at Graingers or McMaster Carr. unles you have a good electronic parts house near you. Just remembered another good place to check Mouser Electronics

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?N=254107

If you can't find one there you are real fussy:D Looks like 866 pages of toggles!

PS: like those aluminum diamond plate electrical power strips on the wall!

Last edited:

chansey

Occupation
Retired Project Engineering Manager
I haven't examined it closely.

Maybe there are numbers on it that can be crossed over.

It is a spring NO center for off and on in either direction of the toggle. Two separate functions. Not sure of how it works with the hydraulic control. Haven't located the point where it connects either.

Perhaps there is a complete OEM replacement from another loader.

Paul

kshansen

Occupation
I haven't examined it closely.

Maybe there are numbers on it that can be crossed over.

It is a spring NO center for off and on in either direction of the toggle. Two separate functions. Not sure of how it works with the hydraulic control. Haven't located the point where it connects either.

Perhaps there is a complete OEM replacement from another loader.

Paul

Sounds just like the switch we had on a genset control. It was connected to an electric motor in the governor. It basically turned a knob on the governor turn one way and engine sped up and the other it slowed down. You just watched a frequency meter and nudged the switch one way or another till it read 60 cycles. Guess you need to do some research on the hydraulic control system to figure out how it functions in your system. None of the Cat or Komatsu loaders I'm familiar with use this kind of switch operated float.

If I remember I'll check to see if I have one of that style left at work on Monday.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I'm half asleep but I thought that that switch declucthed the drive train so you could rev up the engine?Yawnnnn.Ron G

kshansen

Occupation
I'm half asleep but I thought that that switch declucthed the drive train so you could rev up the engine?Yawnnnn.Ron G

That could be a possibility!

I know on our Komatsu WA600 there is a switch on the hoist lever that kicks the transmission down to 1 st gear. So if when digging in 2 nd you need a bit more push into the pile you just tap the button and it drops into 1st. Then back to 2 nd when shifted in to reverse. That way you can keep your left hand on the steering at all times.

chansey

Occupation
There is a control valve on the left had side forward of the cab. The hydraulic lines go to the tilt cylinder.

I can't find this part listed on in the brake section or hydraulic section. The electrical lists the item as item #16 "Switch, Magnetic Addition Hydraulic."

Paul

Gunslinger

Good write-up on this re-power. I am planning to swapping out a Continental F245 for a 4BT in a 1960 Dynahoe backhoe. My Dynahoe has a Borg Warner T-12 directional trans coupled to a Ford 4 Speed trans. I'm planning to re-drill the Continental adapter and maybe flywheel to fit the Cummins motor. If this doesn't work, I'll have to get an SAE #3 adapter and flywheel and an adapter ring to go from there to the SAE #3 bellhousing. I will also be documenting my swap.
Do you have a web address for C and C Truck Parts? I am having a problem finding them.

chansey

Occupation
Gunslinger

Thanks. Just great to have the 4BT in the Trojan. Although I did not install a muffler, it's really quiet, starts instantly and everything function very well.

The Cummins SAE 3 stuff is plentiful and reasonably priced. When I made My adapter, I had to draw it in auto cad (24 holes) and then drill it on a mill with DRO on it to be sure it was precise. There was no margin for error.

I don't have a web address for C and C.

Good luck on your repower.

Paul