• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

tricks of the trade

dayexco

okay, i tried this thread once before, will try it again. i'm primarily in the water/sewer biz, but do some basement excavation, site prep...come on dudes, the purpose of these forums is to share!!! bounce stuff off of!!!...there must be some tricks of the trade, things you've encountered, overcome...that you could share with the rest of us!!!

tylermckee

One of my pet peeves is that i try to park my machine on level ground in position to check the hyd. oil. That way when i come back the next day i can do my preflight. usually with the excavator i point the boom with the tracks so you are able to take the access panel off the bottom and work if needed.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I don't know about "tricks" but good practice might be a better way to put it. Too many operators are a little too eager to start digging and don't take 5 or 10 minutes to plan things out. Preparation + Planning generally goes for a better job....Says Squizzy who only dug up 1 sewer last week:mad:

tylermckee

Use your commen sence. we had a guy dig up a powerline going to a house. the hole with the powerline was about 4 feet deep and full of water. so what does he do? He gets in the damn pool and starts hand digging for the gas conduit he was looking for :confused:

Jeff D.

I haven't any "tricks of the trade" too share,but wonder about what others do in a particular situation.

When your working on a job,which takes multiple days,do you leave your equipment at the site,or homeowners place?Or do you load it up,and take it home,to return the next day?

I'm speaking more about skid-steers,smaller excavators,TLB's,etc. Not about dozers,and other large heavy equipment.

I've always(that one time:rolleyes: ) picked up my toys,and left.I can't stand too think of them being tampered with,or vandalized over the evening.It's a hassle,but I'm not trusting enough to leave it unattended.I don't want to return to busted windows,broken switchs,having the fluids contaminated,etc.

What has been your approach,or what tricks do you use to secure the equipment,if you decide to leave it??

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Jeff, too many horror stories about vandalism and theft. We take the machine home unless they are locked in a fully fenced site/backyard. Commercial sites are Bad even when they are fenced. Its a pain but it makes you get your trailer setup workin!:wink2

nobull1

Charter Member
Occupation
Same as interests
Same here, they are coming home with me 99% of the time. It just isn't worth the risk and if it is more than a days work it justifies a extra load and unload anyways.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
If I'm comfortable with the surroundings, I'll leave the machine on the job. Most times I am. In most cases I can park right next to the client's house where they can keep an eye on it, and most neighborhoods around here are pretty safe. If I work in an area that is more urban, then I bring the machine home each night to avoid problems.

bobcatuser

Occupation
Excavation Contractor
Last Friday when I got to my job my locks were mangled on both machines. When the service truck from the dealer came the mechanic told me I was lucky they didn’t get in, most of the time they will punch the keypad out with a screwdriver. I have been thinking about moving the equipment off site at night, but on a 3 week project moving and loading time would really all up.

Attachments

• Bobcat-door-lock.jpg
    Bobcat-door-lock.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,610
  • Excavator-door-lock.jpg
    Excavator-door-lock.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,602

hillrancher

Occupation
owner
Ticks of trade

Tricks of Trade comes from planning and the ability to use the machine or machines on hand. A good operator can take a tractor and front loader, back blade build a drive where inexperienced needs a motor grader front loader dumb truck roller and most-likely what ever else you own. Starting and moving the machine is not the key for a successful finished job. The only thing close to a trick is in your mind before starting is a picture of the job completed.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Equipment theft is so scary, especially since anyone can buy a key for any machine for about $5. We're lucky out here, not much car theft in our small town and equipment theft is unheard of. Needless to say I think the next machine we get is going to have an updated theft deterrent system, we leave our equipment on the site overnight 100% of the time.

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
I was on a job one time that was in an area I don't normally work and I didn't feel comfortable leaving my tractor overnight even though the area was fenced and there was a night guard. One night another contractor left a brand new bobcat at the job and the next morning the whole thing was tagged. The guard couldn't explain how it could have happened because he was "on duty" all night.
On jobs around where I live, I will leave a piece of equipment on someone's property if they are home, but I don't have to do that too often. It is just not worth it if there is any chance something could happen.
I have hidden kill switches on all my equipment so someone can't just start them and drive away.
I have an anti-theft system I devised for my truck that works pretty well. Someone can sit in the passenger seat and watch me start it and then get in the drivers seat and not get it to start. I have a buddy that has tried it numerous times and has yet to start it. Every time he sees me with the truck, he asks to try it again, but so far no-go. It is really easy to do if you have even the least bit of electronics knowledge. I always buy the shop manual for my equipment (I do all my own maintenance) and they contain wiring diagrams which, if you know how to read them, will give you numerous opportunities for a kill mechanism.

Dusty

Charter Member
it is a pain but i take the battery out of my machine is i have worries it has a quick disconect so it pops right out

MSC

One thing I do is grease the machine before I leave at night.
I do this for a couple of reasons. First reason, it is easier to grease when the grease and grease gun are warm.
Second, if you wake up late, you won't be that much more behind at the beginning of the day.

Rich:thumbsup

Alan Mesmer

Occupation
Excavator
Tricks of the trade:
I'm a third generation dirt mover and most tricks of the trade are learned over time through ones own experiences. Some routines are done but not thought about because its just the way it's always been done. I will be the first to say that I learn new things all the time through my own experiences and from need. I have some very good friends that are my competition and we share how to's and offer assistance where needed.
If I have anything to offer I would advise the most obvious thing is to take care of your equipment with a stringent maintainence schedule! Your equipment is your way you make your money!
If you have any direct questions I would be willing to share what knowledge I have with you.

Alan
mesmera@sbcglobal.net

KeithRA

I was thinking of have my locks rekeyed on my machines with my own key code to help delay Equipment theft.It only cost about $25.00 to rekey its getting out of hand about bobcat keys fit case. Even a dealer got 6 machines stolen from dealership here in northern IL.

Grader4me

hillrancher said:
Tricks of Trade comes from planning and the ability to use the machine or machines on hand. A good operator can take a tractor and front loader, back blade build a drive where inexperienced needs a motor grader front loader dumb truck roller and most-likely what ever else you own. Starting and moving the machine is not the key for a successful finished job. The only thing close to a trick is in your mind before starting is a picture of the job completed.

No truer words were ever spoken. The trick is.. get a clear picture in your mind of how you want the finished product to look like. Making it happen comes with practice and experience. Another thing...sometimes it only takes a few more minutes between a good looking job and a poor one.:yup

Glasshousebltr

Occupation
Builder
Theft scares the crap out of me, cause even if I catch the maggot it might mean a life sentence.

Anyone hear anything about the auto and equipment GPS chips?

Bob

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Glasshousebltr said:
Theft scares the crap out of me, cause even if I catch the maggot it might mean a life sentence.

Anyone hear anything about the auto and equipment GPS chips?

Bob

Bob-I'm buying a JD 410G hoe this coming week with that GPS chip.I'm all giddy about it and will report back once I learn about it.Now ,if only the manufacturers would give us the most simple first line of defense--NON-KEYED ALIKE LOCKS