• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Train Wreck

fireman050

Occupation
construction & volunteer firefighter
here are a few pics from a train wreck i went to a few weeks back.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 864
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 867
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 867
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 868
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 870

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
Gotta love those panels, just cut out the bad stuff, lay those down, bolt 'em up and you've got track. We used some of ours at a derailment I tell ya, that's the fastest 150 feet of track I've ever laid down. We had 10 premade and sitting in our yard, load them out at 5 per truck and we were off. Unloaded them either using log trucks, excavators or loaders. How long was that? Did you use just panels or did you rebuild some too?

fireman050

Occupation
the panels were about 25ft each we used two truckloads of them and had to rebuild the rest. my crew was one of two subcontracted by rjcorman the main contractor on the job. we ended up replacing nearly a mile of track. while we were there we had amr and fd on scene due to some hazardous material in some of the cars 45 of the 70 cars on the train derailed.

fireman050

Occupation
more pics

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 803
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 810
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 805
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 799
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 803

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Gotta love those panels, just cut out the bad stuff, lay those down, bolt 'em up and you've got track. We used some of ours at a derailment I tell ya, that's the fastest 150 feet of track I've ever laid down. We had 10 premade and sitting in our yard, load them out at 5 per truck and we were off. Unloaded them either using log trucks, excavators or loaders. How long was that? Did you use just panels or did you rebuild some too?

Hello 95zIV, and fireman050,

Clue us in on the panels if you could... I was looking at picture #4, and it looks like track pre-spiked to the ties... I would guess these are panels.

If so, can you lay them on the bed with an excavator, or does it take a machine that runs on the rails? On average, do you have to do much work on
the bed after a derailment like this... sounds like you've done this stuff a time
or too.

You know how some of us are... have to know every thing about everything...:cool2

I might be totally of track with all this guessing too... :lmao
Thanks,

OCR

fireman050

Occupation
OCR you guessed right panels are prefabricated sections of track

OCR

Occupation
OCR you guessed right panels are prefabricated sections of track

Thanks a lot... that didn't take long... but I see you're on line.

And now I know a little more... about a little more...:)... :)

Thanks again,

OCR

fireman050

Occupation
no problem you should check out corman's website lots of cool pics

jughead

Occupation
retired
got to see one happen in front of my house in the 70s very scary. 9 railcars tossed around like toys. a little advice to those that stop right at the crossing as a train goes by. 40 ft. from my crossing a car or truck and everything in it would have been history:eek:

OCR

Occupation
no problem you should check out corman's website lots of cool pics

Thanks again,

I did check the web site... and I see Mr. Corman is recovering from a very nasty illiness... the prognosis looks like a complete cure... :thumbsup

Unfortunately... a friend of mine with the same thing... well, the future
doesn't look so bright... :(... :(

OCR

OCR

Occupation
No body seems to think about it????

got to see one happen in front of my house in the 70s very scary. 9 railcars tossed around like toys. a little advice to those that stop right at the crossing as a train goes by. 40 ft. from my crossing a car or truck and everything in it would have been history:eek:

Couldn't have been said better... I've told lots of people that same bit of
advice... me, I stay as far away as I can... and I mean far... for that very
reason...

OCR

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Were those trolleys part of the cargo or were they removed from the wrecked cars? Are the side boom dozers for uprighting the cars or are they part of the track repair crew?

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
Were those trolleys part of the cargo or were they removed from the wrecked cars? Are the side boom dozers for uprighting the cars or are they part of the track repair crew?

Steve,

Those are called trucks, but they came off of the cars that derailed, the only thing that keeps them together is gravity, the cars sit on top and that's it. I've got some pictures of the bottom of some cars that were flopped in a derailment that I worked here in VT. The side booms where most likely there to pick and clear the cars off the track. I don't know how many of those cars weren't hurt, but if they're in good shape, they'll set the axles and trucks back together on the track. Then pick each end of the cars and roll the trucks underneath then push them down the track to clear the area. The side booms can also be used to do the track work too, but what dealings i've had with corman, they upright and clear the track then either the railroad or a contractor comes in and does the track work. We had full 39 foot panels with 115lb rail on them and 2 pairs of joint bars on them so that we had everything we needed on the site.

knucklehead98

The panels that we use are 40 ft, they are pre spiked, anchored and drilled for a bar joint. All the derailments that I have beeen on, there was really no damage to the subbase. It was just a matter of removing the old ballst, and setting the panel in place. we used volvo T-hoes to set the panels with(290,330,360).

RoadDoc

What division were the Corman guys from?
Was it just one crew?
Which R/R was it?
Where was the wreck?
How long till traffic was back online?

Great pics! Thanks. :thumbsup

fireman050

Occupation
they were from memphis they had one crew doing the cleanup and another doing reconstruction it was a kansas city southern line the wreck was in copiah county the line was back online in 5 days

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
I had a train wreck just down the road from me, and I got some pics. They sent down the Spoornet Krugersdorp recovery train, and the Germiston recovery train, both complete with Cowans Sheldon and Gottwald cranes, both with two massive Cat D9 traxcavatas. Will post pics. Germiston is quite far away, but the closer train was lacking a crane. Krugersdorp is also far away, but we were up visiting family there when we found the recovery train at Millsite. We saw it at our local station, Cedara when we came back down. Millsite is supposed to be for steam railway preservation, and to cut a really long story short, I also found a Samsung high cab, don't know model, loading trucks with the scrap from all the cut up locos. looked like an abattoir, with all the cut up loco parts everywhere. Got pics, will post.

BIGDIRT

What division were the Corman guys from?
Was it just one crew?

Great pics! Thanks. :thumbsup

There was no Corman Division there, The Division that that cleared the wreck and provided and set the panels was B&P Enterprisies Derailment Division out of Southaven, MS. We cleared the main of the cars with a CX330 while Hulcher's Jackson, MS Division used there sidebooms and there bucket to drag the cars into a field.