• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

trailer tires in drive axle position.

4x4ford

Occupation
aunts on the strip Currently drive a 1951 chevy pa
Company I’m driving for runs nothing but Michelin on trucks and trailers they will occasionally run Michelin caps on the drives but trailers are all virgins said it was costing them to much with spreads tearing the caps off got 400000 out of the drives on my Pete running team between Laredo Texas and Champaign Illinois this freightliner wont do that it has 420000 miles on it and on it’s 3rd set of drives I believe had caps on it when I got in it they just put a full set of virgins on it last service

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Our boss would order new trucks with all street tires. When we got them we would take the new tires off and throw them on a pile and use them for steers. When steers got worn out we would cap them for drives several times over as I noted before. 2 to 3 times per casing IIRC. If we ran short of good casings then we would buy caps on casings from the tire store. Never laid a finger on a new drive as long as I worked there I think.

Again ultra short hauls for us, YMMV. I never had one come apart, it was always rock damage to tread or sidewall. No ring treads, always with a splice. Actually there might have been one casing failure on another guy that I heard about. Never a tread/cap failure.

As Doug said, you do what you got to do. I would do it again if I was in trucking. It worked for us.

Trucks averaged about 11 miles to the hour of engine run time. Would hit 65 mph maybe once a week.