• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

trailer tires in drive axle position.

workshoprat92

What are your guys thoughts on putting trailer rated tires in a drive axle position. The specific tires im looking at doing this with is a Bf Goodrich tr144. Im sure it will work fine but im more concerned about the legal aspect of that?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Not a thing wrong with it. Under a high torque situation like pulling long grades or heavy loads I don’t know how they’d last. On my heavy haul highway trucks I ran a vocational chip/cut/scrub resistant all position tire and had the best luck of any tire I ran in a drive position.

For a standard run of the mill freight truck I think it would be fine. Nice and quiet being closed shoulder and continuous tread design.

workshoprat92

Im going to put em on a dump truck. I see a pretty good mix of off road and hwy. Dump trucking in sw missouri is very hard on tire as we have alot of sharp flint rock hidden in soft clay soils. Slugging through that shred sidewalls! I got a good deal on them at $50 apiece mounted on rim. They are all date coded less then ten years old. Even as cores i figure i can get em capped and save a few. I realize they are not the best tread pattern for off road use. Still i think they will bo ok and get me down the road for a while.

My big concern was can the DOT put you out of service for having them on a drive axle?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
With MO weather, a fickle thing, do not believe I would consider trailer rated's on the drives, inability to properly or adequately channel water in heavy rains, unlike on a trailer where the truck already moved much of it, snow a DEFINITE NO, open side wall is a better consideration if looking to soft structure traction closed sidewall for wear. At that is up to the person running them, MO DOT I do not believe gives a crap so long as has tread and air.

workshoprat92

With MO weather, a fickle thing, do not believe I would consider trailer rated's on the drives, inability to properly or adequately channel water in heavy rains, unlike on a trailer where the truck already moved much of it, snow a DEFINITE NO, open side wall is a better consideration if looking to soft structure traction closed sidewall for wear. At that is up to the person running them, MO DOT I do not believe gives a crap so long as has tread and air.
I know what gour saying but to my thinking if its raining or snowing that bad im not working anyhow as we get shut down so we dont track mud out. I just need to get a month or two down the road and some revenue in so a proper set of traction lugs can be recapped.

Shimmy1

Have you asked your tire guy how much he'd need extra if you left those tires and rims at his shop, and went home with 8 new recap drive tires? My guess, unless you have your heart set on those rims, is with what you have for value there, you're well over halfway there.

Truck Shop

You need to check with dealer surplus in your area. We buy Goodyear LHS 399 steers for $325.00 each and and highway traction for $340.00 each. We buy these
from a Volvo/Mack dealer. Surplus Truck Parts/ Freightliner Northwest had Dunlop highway traction for $350,00 each either way about $140.00 below tire shops.

Truck Shop

Jonas302

A set of caps are $3000 thats a long ways from $400 not to mention they are mounted as far as traction only he knows what it will take on the job I'm sure nobody's ever run a dump on bald tires with the wires sticking though for traction lol :)

Shimmy1

A set of caps are $3000 thats a long ways from $400 not to mention they are mounted as far as traction only he knows what it will take on the job I'm sure nobody's ever run a dump on bald tires with the wires sticking though for traction lol :)
What in the hell kind of recaps cost $400 per tire? Bought a set for one of our trucks last summer, Bandag UltraDrive, IMO a pretty good dump truck tire, for $225 apiece. As far as my figures, I was assuming $250 per tire for the new caps, and that his good used would be worth $100 per tire/$50 per rim on trade. Yes I was also assuming he was capable of mounting tires.

AzIron

I surely can't speak to a 10 year old till tire around here tires die an agonizing death of dry wrought by 5 years

But trailer tread for drives is a common thing one of my transports has trailer tread on the drives the only thing is it rarely leaves pavement and when it does it gets stuck on an ant hill. If I was in any kinda snow I would run a drive tread no questions ask but I dont have those problems

colson04

I had 4 recap drives put on my dump in October. Tire guy came to my house, installed and took my junk tires. My total bill was $1050.

I don't think I'd frog around changing tires now only to change them again in a couple months. Downtime has a cost too.
20181108_102810.jpg

workshoprat92

I am my own tire guy. I do all my own tire work and buy cores and take them directly to a recapper. They charge $145 to cap a 24.5 tall tire. After buying a core i usually have 160 to 190 in it. But the thing is i can controll what im getting as far as cores. I got sick as hell of getting bent over on tires by the local tire shops at $280 for a recapp and of course my cores were never good! And the tire they sell you for $280 looks worse than the cores they tell you are no good and then charge you 10 bucks to dispose of your supposedly junk carcass. I swear to god i have gotten carcasses back on caps they told me were junk and charged me for disposal. I have been doing it this way for 3 years now and my tire expense has been cut way down and my issues with blowouts flat went away! Not to mention my lost time for billable hours is down as well.

I have tried the new tire route and even a cheap 300 dollar ish tire can be cut to shreds in this missouri rocks. It just does not pay to put expensive tires on a dump truck in sw mo!

Last edited:

Shimmy1

I am my own tire guy. I do all my own tire work and buy cores and take them directly to a recapper. They charge $145 to cap a 24.5 tall tire. After buying a core i usually have 160 to 190 in it. But the thing is i can controll what im getting as far as cores. I got sick as hell of getting bent over on tires by the local tire shops at $280 for a recapp and of course my cores were never good! And the tire they sell you for $280 looks worse than the cores they tell you are no good and then charge you 10 bucks to dispose of your supposedly junk carcass. I swear to god i have gotten carcasses back on caps they told me were junk and charged me for disposal. I have been doing it this way for 3 years now and my tire expense has been cut way down and my issues with blowouts flat went away! Not to mention my lost time for billable hours is down as well.

I have tried the new tire route and even a cheap 300 dollar ish tire can be cut to shreds in this missouri rocks. It just does not pay to put expensive tires on a dump truck in sw mo!
Sounds like you need to find another tire guy, if that's possible. I guess we are pretty lucky around here, I've never had a blown out casing that wasn't my own fault.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I am my own tire guy. I do all my own tire work and buy cores and take them directly to a recapper. They charge $145 to cap a 24.5 tall tire. After buying a core i usually have 160 to 190 in it. But the thing is i can controll what im getting as far as cores. I got sick as hell of getting bent over on tires by the local tire shops at $280 for a recapp and of course my cores were never good! And the tire they sell you for $280 looks worse than the cores they tell you are no good and then charge you 10 bucks to dispose of your supposedly junk carcass. I swear to god i have gotten carcasses back on caps they told me were junk and charged me for disposal. I have been doing it this way for 3 years now and my tire expense has been cut way down and my issues with blowouts flat went away! Not to mention my lost time for billable hours is down as we

Expensive tires might be what you need to save some money. When I ran dumps it was always Goodyear G-186 tires. Those are tough bastiges. And I ran in Volcanic glass and other nasty stuff that you may not have even seen.

Last edited:

workshoprat92

Shimmy1 you dont understand! All the tire guus around here are crooked as all get out and all play the same bullshit game. The only way around it is to take your stuff directly to a capper and have it done eliminating the middle man. Plus its hard as hell to find a tire shop with qualified help. Around here anyone thats worth anything has left for a market that pays better. All thats left around here is bottom or the barrel labor pool with massive personal issues and life choice problems!!!

workshoprat92

I have 10 tires and wheels i paid $50 apiece for with 50 percent or better virgin never been capped tread. Only issue is they are trailer rated tires. If the dot does not give me crap about it then for the money i will win big being able to run them for a few months. Then for $145 apiece i can have them capped to a traction lug and get a good year to year and a half out of them. Even if i toss them after that because they are getting close to 10 years on date code im coming out big time win. How is anything i have heard so far better in price or reliability?

Plus now i have 10 rims. I can get them shot peened, magnafluxed and powder coated for $25 apiece? They look like brand new when they are done!

Like i say this method has worked very well for me. Cost is way down and blowouts and down time due to tires is long gone.

I guess this is an area where there are many many opinions and everyone has their own method that works for them. I wasent trying to start an argument on which method or way was best. I just wanted to know if i wad gona get put out of service with trailer rated tires in the drive position. From what im jearing the answer to that is no so i know which way im going on it!

Last edited:

AzIron

Sounds like you need to find another tire guy, if that's possible. I guess we are pretty lucky around here, I've never had a blown out casing that wasn't my own fault

You have never rolled in 115 degree heat new tires have a hard time in this heat let alone recaps the side of the freeway in July has a lot of separated tires decorating it

What do you get out of a set of tires 6 months maybe 9 on a dump truck in that environment eventually you have to buy new tires or are you only sourcing used tires