• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

trailer rear support while loading

apm

I've just purchased a skid steer that weighs about 6000 lbs. I've got a 14,000 GVW trailer that's a bumper pull. Loading the skid steer with ramps lifts the back of the truck. The ramps have no "legs" on them.

How do most people support the back of the trailer when loading? I thought of a jack on each corner. Maybe just weld legs on the ramps? What do you guys do?

Greg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Get some angle iron and weld some support legs on the ramps. I can't remember how many ramps I have had repaired or adjusted over the years.

Hook the trailer up to your truck and measure the distance from the ramp where it connects to the trailer and weld some angle iron "struts/legs" to the ramps. That should help with your problem.

What kind of truck are you pulling it with?

andrewpond

If your ramps are fixed and hinged then yes follow cm1995. But I use slide in/detached ramps and use trailer jacks on each rear corner. Ground/road aways seem different height. I use ones that pin to round coupler so if they get damage just unpin and replace.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Carry some heavy-section wooden blocks such as 6" x 4" or 8" x 4" and place them under the rear of the trailer when loading and unloading.
Leave enough room to allow you to get them out when loaded, or to pull forward easily, to recover them after you're loaded.

buckfever

I second Oz's post. Thats a easy quick solution but if your looking for a legs on your ramps use 3" C channel. Make a U and weld it just above the where the ramp attaches to the trailer.

dsgsr

Occupation
Anything I can make $$ at.
A quick and cheap solution, cut a hardwood log 8-10" diameter. Load trailer, cut hardwood 2-4" short of distance of lowest part of trailer to ground. One for each side.

David

Aruba1

Can you post pics of the trailer/ramps? with mine, I used to just drove my skid steer (8000 lb) with ramps not having no legs.

johndeere123

You could always make a set of legs that slide up and down with a pin holding them, alot cheaper and faster than using a jack on each side.

dixon700

Occupation
heavy truck mechanic

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
A ten inch block cut to length with one end cut 90 degrees and the other beveled a couple inches works well on my bumper hitch. Flat down, tapered up, you have a couple inches of adjustment to make up for uneven ground. I snug mine and pull ahead to tip them out. My 26,000 lb gooseneck has the built in jacks on the corners.