• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trailer dock restraint styles?

ba12348

This is more of a warehousing/retail distribution question, but this looks like the best place to put it. I work maintenance for a large company, and at the campus I work at one of the buildings contains a large scale print shop, which processes something like 8 million feet of paper per day, and the result is a whole lotta trucks. On the docks there are two styles of restraint, the hook kind (http://www.ritehite.com/products/vehicle-restraints/rotating-hook/) and the wheel lock kind (http://www.ritehite.com/products/vehicle-restraints/wheel-restraints/). Now from a maintenance standpoint, the wheel lock kind is horrid. A quarterly PM takes two hours because you have to take all the covers off the length, lube everything, put it back together, then go find a semi and get the driver to pull in there to make sure it is working smoothly (this is required by the property owners, not the manufacturer). Annual is even worse because you have to torque all the bolts on it, and there are a lot. From a functionality standpoint, they're horrid. I would say that once a month a driver misses the thing entirely, backs OVER the lock, and gets his truck stuck; at which point the dock workers call us and we say "What do you want us to do? Call a tow truck." Every once in a while someone tries to back a pickup truck into the thing too, which bangs up the rear wheel well pretty good.

So my question to you fine gentlemen (and gentle-ladies if there happen to be any about) is, does the wheel lock style have any advantage over the hook, and if so what are they?

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
We put a couple in at a new hospitals loading docks a couple of years ago that was quite simple. They mounted on the face of the dock. When the truck backed up to the dock, the unit tripped and lifted up capturing the back trailer bumper. When the truck got unloaded you took a flat bar tool and pushed the catch down and it reset ready for the next trailer. Very simple self contained trailer lock. Can't remember the manufacturer. If I get that way soon I'll stop and look.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . It's quite amazing.

Folks have invented involved solutions to basic problems that I didn't know existed. As old-iron-habitmentions there must be simpler ways to hold a trailer against a dock.

Cheers.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
From what I see the advantages are described in the pages you linked. I never have seen the wheel lock type but the hook type is fairly common. Occasionally there's a trailer the hook won't attach to, that's the disadvantage. I've witnessed guys pull away from the dock before the hook was released and leave the ICC bumper attached to the building.

Dualie

works for trailers that don't have ICC bumpers or weird rear ends like lift gates.

I have seen some places that will go so far as to make the driver leave his keys with the shipping clerk until the truck is loaded. Another will install a glad hand lock on the trailer to keep the drivers from pulling away.

I have seen MANY bent bumpers from wheel holders trying to pull away with the hook still latched. With the amount of drivers that no speaky English it makes things more simple to just lock the trailer down tight.

sounds like your property owners are real sticklers.

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
Over here, it's,
"Park on bay (whichever) drive and bring your keys back."
To be honest, fair enough, but on the same site they'll expect you to reverse blind side onto a bay with eighteen inches between trucks with no banksman. Health a and safety... Yeah, where it suits...

Dualie

Also a lot of distribution centers are going drop and hook only. You have to drop your trailer in the yard, then they will pick it up with a yard goat and put it against the dock. When its unloaded/loaded they will put it back out in the yard and you can pick it up there.

but the same places have just as much trouble with the trailers getting up ended by leaving to much weight in the nose