• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

tractor pans or scrapers which do you like better

JASON M

Occupation
Const company owner
Now that's what I call a Scraper Spread! Lots of coins out there... and I see the farm tractors are pulling what they pull best.:D

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
Oh my !
Good for the soul to see that many proper scrapers
More please:waving

DPete

Yup, that's the real deal, not a wannabe among em. Nice spread, now don't you think that Ktek hooked to a truck would ruin that pic? :D

JASON M

Occupation
Const company owner
I've got video of my Jolly Green Giants and small push-cat (D8R) working...building a new section of levee in East-Central Louisiana. Just got the old VHS tape converted to CD... but the video is just too long. I'm gonna have to chop it up into a manageable piece, then send it out here. I would have liked to include the Quad-Tracs and J.D. units pulling 17 cy pans, but it wasn't impressive enough to make video of; I had moved that operation (farm tractors & pull-pans) to another section of the same job, as they were producing only about 40% the production of the Green Giants operation and hence would have just "been in the way"

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
Jason you can post a pretty long video segment on youtube then attach the link....

nkh111

Here is a picture of Dave Kolb Grading from 67 highway in southeast MO.

Attachments

• deere.jpg
    deere.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 2,050

nkh111

Here are some more pictures from the same job. It's impressive seeing them work but they have to be burning thru cutting edges, I know we were just a fews miles north of this job and we where using D9's pulling 631 pans.

Attachments

• deere 2.jpg
    deere 2.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 1,845
  • deere 3.jpg
    deere 3.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 2,075
  • 100_2271.jpg
    100_2271.jpg
    560.8 KB · Views: 1,852

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
nkh111 those are some interesting tires on those Deere's.

Are those tires common down your way?

BTW nice pics too!

nkh111

Dave Kolb Grading is the only contractor I have ever seen with those type of tire. They are regular tractor tires with some type of wrap around metal track that looks just like an oversize crawler track, I'm assuming for extra traction.

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
Dave Kolb Grading is the only contractor I have ever seen with those type of tire. They are regular tractor tires with some type of wrap around metal track that looks just like an oversize crawler track, I'm assuming for extra traction.

That is what I was thinking, some type of wrap around crawler track. I was thinking that might be hard on the tranny.

I like your pics very interesting!

shooterm

Occupation
Operator
Awesome thread guys, I'm one of those guys that enjoys the fact scrapers are the "money makers" but hate fricking operating them. In fact running older TS-14s I used to daydream a system where I could hang bananas from the levers and train a monkey to run it for me:beatsme. Hehe I'm not downgrading scraper operators just hated the beasts. I wonder if the tractor pans bring in a different style of worker as a operator? Does anyone have first hand experience of seeing the difference of a tractor pan crew and a scraper crew?

Brainzie

Lots of bloody good reading here alright. I`ve a question for the Wheel tractor and scoop (pan) drivers on here. Can you lead your self in when cutting batters or making a road around a hill with these like you can with a conventional motoscraper or bulldozer and scoop ? or do you need a blade machine to set it all up and keep it in shape ?

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Lots of bloody good reading here alright. I`ve a question for the Wheel tractor and scoop (pan) drivers on here. Can you lead your self in when cutting batters or making a road around a hill with these like you can with a conventional motoscraper or bulldozer and scoop ? or do you need a blade machine to set it all up and keep it in shape ?

A Scraper, (tractor pan or otherwise) should be able to cut in their own slope "to a degree" of course. The pull types can get on/across a steeper slope than their self propelled counterparts, but the idea is the same. Make a few passes up towards the top of the slope (batter) to get a slot started, then move half a width or so "down hill" so one side is in your slot and the other is on virgin ground, and start cutting the slope down. Eventually you should be able to make a flat spot to work the whole remaining cut down.

If it's too steep to go across and you have the room up top and at the bottom you can try working down the slope too. Probably in all cases though you'll need a blade to fine tune the slope in the end or (if it's already too steep) to pioneer a bench for you to start at.

Course if original grade is flat it is just that much easier, cause you can work the slope like a normal cut just pulling a little further in (away from the batter) every time you get lower.

Hope that makes sense or helps:drinkup

Abscraperguy

Awesome thread guys, I'm one of those guys that enjoys the fact scrapers are the "money makers" but hate fricking operating them. In fact running older TS-14s I used to daydream a system where I could hang bananas from the levers and train a monkey to run it for me:beatsme. Hehe I'm not downgrading scraper operators just hated the beasts. I wonder if the tractor pans bring in a different style of worker as a operator? Does anyone have first hand experience of seeing the difference of a tractor pan crew and a scraper crew?

I'm not sure if you get a different style of operators but I know this much that conventional scrapers operators DO NOT make good pan operators. Partly because they can't wrap their mind around the mentality of them but mostly cuz they DON'T WANT TO.

Stump Knocker

Occupation
Retired
Remind's me of a tale local Cat mechnic told me.
Local contractor was in the market for 2 new paddle scraper's.
Cat sent 2 613's and JD sent the same size.
Couple day's later salesmen call and ask how the 613's were doing against the JD's.
"Hate to tell you this but the JD's are running circle's around yout Cat's"!!
Salesmen went to the job and watched all day, went back to the shop with the sad story the JD's were moving more dirt.
They sent a mechnic out to find the problem. Couple hours later he call in and ask "who in the hell sent those machines out with those tires". I saw bigger tires on a wheel barrow!!
Switched out the tire's and sold 2 new 613's. :D

STUMP KNOCKER

Brainzie

A Scraper, (tractor pan or otherwise) should be able to cut in their own slope "to a degree" of course. The pull types can get on/across a steeper slope than their self propelled counterparts, but the idea is the same. Make a few passes up towards the top of the slope (batter) to get a slot started, then move half a width or so "down hill" so one side is in your slot and the other is on virgin ground, and start cutting the slope down. Eventually you should be able to make a flat spot to work the whole remaining cut down.

If it's too steep to go across and you have the room up top and at the bottom you can try working down the slope too. Probably in all cases though you'll need a blade to fine tune the slope in the end or (if it's already too steep) to pioneer a bench for you to start at.

Course if original grade is flat it is just that much easier, cause you can work the slope like a normal cut just pulling a little further in (away from the batter) every time you get lower.

Hope that makes sense or helps:drinkup

Thanks Jim, yep that makes sense.
I was just wandering if they dig in more on the oppisite side to which your turning, like on the traditional scrapers and bulldozer and scoops if you turn to the left the right hand side of the cutting edge will tend to dig a bit deeper, depending on how sharp you turn, and vice versa if turn the right.

brainzie.

Hollywood627G

A skilled operator can build an inside corner of a 3:1 with a 627 before the machine starts getting light on one side. Then one tire pretty much just spins freely untill you lock her in and go. Takes some guts to do it though. I've seen 2 627 roll on a 3:1. Tractor pans can't even sit on a 3:1

Hollywood627G

A skilled operator can build an inside corner of a 3:1 with a 627 before the machine starts getting light on one side. Then one tire pretty much just spins freely untill you lock her in and go. Takes some guts to do it though. I've seen 2 627 roll on a 3:1. Tractor pans can't even sit on a 3:1

Abscraperguy

You betcha tractor pans can cut a 3:1. Used to do itall the time. And a mighty fine job of it too.