• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

tractor pans or scrapers which do you like better

SPLUNK

Occupation
EQUIPMENT SALES
One thing I have noticed in these comparisons between operating costs of self propelled scrapers vs. tractors and pans is that they are basing a large part of the alleged savings in the purchase price. The thing is, the tractor and pan does not usually have the same lifespan as the self propelled unit, so that throws the numbers out of whack.

If the tractor and pan is usually retired after say, 5 years, then it should be depreciated over that timeframe.
If the self propelled scraper is used for say 20 years, then it should be depreciated accordingly.

Myself, I don't know any long lifed pan set ups, but a 20 year old scraper is still a desireable, productive unit. Many are in use here that are 30 years old even.

Take a tractor and 2 pans for about 400 to 500K, and a 5 year life, get say 100K per year depreciation. (I am talking simplified version, not tax version)
The scraper at 1.5M for 20 years is 75K per year. When you look at it this way, it evens the playing field somewhat.

I'm not saying this is the end, just something to think about

Not sure what units cost 500,000 dollars, I will sell you new tractors and new pans for around 300,000.00, also have a large number of customers running 9 and 10 year old units with 10 to 14,000 hours on them. Units hauling 30 to 50 yards per cycle, and burning 10 gallon to 15 gallon of fuel per hour, compares out pretty well to self propelled scrapers or off road trucks when fuel is 4.00$ per gallon.

SPLUNK

Occupation
EQUIPMENT SALES
I have to agree 631 or 637's will move dirt fast, So will a fleet of 40 ton Volvo ADT'S, but the name of the game is what you take home at the end of the job!! not speed. For the cost of a new 637 and a second one to push, or a D8, I can buy 6 tractor pan combos AND HAVE MONEY LEFT OVER FOR BEER! and move a hell of a lot more dirt, a hell of a lot faster, and a hell of a lot cheaper!

Kman9090

I agree with you on that but you also have to remember the name of the game is "How fast you can get the project done" The longer you take equals more fuel (so your really coming out thje same with fuel), Labor cost, More maintenance, quicker is cheaper. You just gotta figure the application. Tractor and pans is not the end all answer. Then you get into jobs with big deadlines. You start getting fined 2-3k a day and then those 631's start looking good. The company I work for now has tractor and pans and a huge 631 spread so all we gotta do is figure out which Iron is the best for that job and stick it in there. We usually use our Deere to prep for nthe 631's. Get the top soil stripped, haul roads built, and fills nice and hard and then when blow and go with our 631's and use our deere for support tractors in a sense.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
That is all great when you say it fast. Us smaller guys don't have the luxury of having a fleet with every combination possible. Therefore we have to pick the jobs we want which we can make money on using the equipment we have.

Kman9090

Thats kinda what I am saying there is no absolute better machine. Just suited for better jobs, Tractor and pans are more versatile.

vapor300

Still if it was my outfit id buy a pair of 37's and a pair of 27's, i know they are more expesive but i think they are the most versative machine out there.

Gavin84w

Tractor pans...................................yeah tractor pans, really?

IMG_2060.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

HVENo2666B.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

Sorry i could not find my pics of them..............................NOT!!

Last edited:

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
My D7s and D8s with No. 70 and No. 80 Cat pans do good in soft ground. Next job I can take them in the rock if need be. That is versatile. Granted, I have to look at things with shorter haul which works good for me.

vapor300

Yeah a D10 and 631's would of been a better combo for that,^^^ and john deeres are the worst of the pan tractors in the mud, but a case quad trax with one pan will go anywhere a D6 wide pad will go! And your D7's and D8s with pans mite do good in soft ground but a few challengers or quads would be more productive!

Kman9090

Gotta remember too that just because the tractor can go in the mud doesn't mean the guy in the seat is capable of taking it there.
picture taking out the window of a quad, we were raising a mile of levee a foot to save a town. Something you wouldn't do in 631's.
http://s369.photobucket.com/albums/oo132/kman9090/?action=view&current=River1.jpg

This was in the bottom of a ponf Ameren UE uses to store fly ash. The powerplant is loacted right between the Mississippi and Missouri River. We were well below the water table. It was a verfy fun job and experience.
http://s369.photobucket.com/albums/...32/kman9090/?action=view&current=stuck5-1.jpg

Nothinbetter

I have a question that would relate to cost. Around here the soil is very heavy, clay with rocks (I've heard the term glacial till) and I never see tractor and pull pans, it is usually Cat single engines, 631's and 621's with push dozers. I've even seen 2 dozers pushing 1 pan due to I think due to how hard the soil.

My question is how well would tractors and pull pans hold up compared to scrapers in these conditions?

Kman9090

Well it depends, in Rocky soil not well at all because they load themself which equals wheel spin which in Rock tears up tires. This is why you don't see them run in Rock. There have been a few companies come up with ideas like metal tracks on 740's or Metal tracks wrapped around the tires on a John Deere to pull pans in rocky dirt. As for Heavy clay the tractor and pan combo will do quite well. Right now we are running 631's and John Deere in a heavy wet clay and the John Deere's are eating up the 631's.

Gavin84w

My question is how well would tractors and pull pans hold up compared to scrapers in these conditions?

They wouldn,t, simple as that.

Unlike real scrapers that have a very broad range of materials they can work in these wannabe scrapers are only good for soft stuff

Kman9090

They wouldn,t, simple as that.

Unlike real scrapers that have a very broad range of materials they can work in these wannabe scrapers are only good for soft stuff

Just a question where do you base that information off of? We are running them in hard packed clay right now. Crossed sectioned them the other day and they are hauling 11.8 yards per pan. So pulling 3 pans they are doing well. I'd say that tractor and pan combos have a wide band of variations as well. The boss running the job just has to know how to set them up, instead of just sticking their nose up at them and saying they are junk.

Gavin84w

Nothinbetter asked how they might do in very heavy soil,clay with rocks often referred to as glacial till and the common machine in his area for doing that is 621/631 some times double pushed. That material alone and it,s description tells me you do not need any flotation, something the farm tractor/pan has more of than a conventional scraper and an advantage it enjoys in softer going than a traditional scraper. Rock would also be a big enemy to the tractor tyres and while there is not a lot of glacial till down under there is similar material and you never see pans working it, they are always only doing farm earthworks, channels, dam sinking, top soil stripping that sort of thing.