• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Track time! Hiqual, McLaren, Camso?

HRPServicesTX

Occupation
Land Management, Fencing, Metal Buildings, Arenas,
Ok, let me start by saying yes I realize there's a lot of track threads, and I've gone through a good bunch of them. Although can't find much on the ones I'm directly comparing. So here it goes. My machine is a Kubota svl90

SRJ Hiqual SWave pattern, was quoted $2550 to me for a set. I'm interested in this because what I could find out it has more traction than the C style tread.

McLaren Next Gen TDF, was quoted $3600 to me for a set. Again, these have higher traction....they also stated it was good on Rocky ground and for cut resistance. (My machine spends ¼ of its life on rock, or little less).

Right now I have OEM block style, 1050 hours so far and still ok, cut pretty good and chips out of them.

It's been a week and I still have not heard back from Camso, I liked their HDX line with the ST tread pattern. It basically is like the above brands.

Would the higher price of the McLaren's justify themselves against Hiqual? I'd like to hear from users of these brands, and especially if you have a tread pattern I'm looking at. Thank you! I need to order in 2 months. Should I replace drive sprockets as well?

Rentalstop

My price list from tracks and tires (camoplast) has tracks for SVL75. Nothing listed for the SVL90. Maybe they aren't available at this time for your machine.

HiQual S'wave are OEM on my ditch witch mini skid. So far they are great. 200 hours no cuts or noticeable wear.
Excellent traction compared to previous tracks on other mini skids.

Only need to replace sprockets if they are worn....pointed. Check all idlers and rollers for bearing wear/play, replace as necessary. Probably fine as well. But may as well check while the tracks are off.

HRPServicesTX

Occupation
They emailed me saying they would have a dealer contact me, id think they would've let me know if they weren't made. That's really good news on the Hiqual, one of the guys at srj was telling me what they were OEM on. Sounds like they might be decent and not worth the extra $1k for McLaren. Ok, my sprockets aren't pointed yet, the look of them haven't really changed from when it was new. Yes I'll check the idlers for sure.

Last edited:

HRPServicesTX

Occupation
I need to order tracks sooner than I thought. Anyone have input on this? Right now I'm leaning towards Hiqual, their customer service has been better than anyone so far.

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
Did you break a track?

As we were discussing in my crap shoot thread, the Hiqual is now oem on Case and New Holland machines. Unfortunately the new machines haven't been out long enough to make any judgments on the tracks. I'd think that the oem status would be somewhat of a quality qualifier. I do wonder if the Wide S-Wave track would be longer wearing than the standard S and still give better traction than blocks. :beatsme

HRPServicesTX

Occupation
No I didn't break one, yet lol. After this last job the cracks are getting bigger/deeper. I think this last bit is wearing faster. The wide s wave is close to what I have now, just big block pattern. Here's the S wave.
S-Wave-Pattern.jpg
Also here's a block style the size of block is between the S wave and the wide. Might be best of both worlds? I'm wanting high traction while not suffering too much when running on gravel/rock. Block-Pattern.jpg

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
The top track looks like a pretty good high traction design....I have only ever used OEM tracks on any of my machines so can't really give an opinion on any of the tracks you mentioned but I can say the top of the line Camoplast tracks wear good and offer a competitive price point. A good friend and fellow industry worker uses them extensively and has had really good luck with them...

JNB

Occupation
No I didn't break one, yet lol. After this last job the cracks are getting bigger/deeper. I think this last bit is wearing faster.

Yeah, it seems like they usually go from "I got time to shop" to "Oh crap!" in short order.

HRPServicesTX

Occupation
Thanks for that input pafarmer, I looked at the camso C lug design but after trying to reach the company for almost 2 weeks and still can't get anyone to get back to me not sure I want to bother with them. It is a very nice tread for sure.
Yeah I've always had bad cracks in the tracks but they're looking much worse for sure, and lots of cracks between the tread blocks.

You guys think that the block pattern above might wear better on rock than the SWave? But still give me somewhat comparable traction? I wonder...could I have too much traction and be bad for my final drives?

Trellborg is also quoting me for a C lug track.

JNB

Occupation
I don't know which one will have more traction, but the SVL's stall guard should keep the finals in check if you don't spin a track.

Mark13

Yeah, it seems like they usually go from "I got time to shop" to "Oh crap!" in short order.

The tracks on my Tak TL230 did just that. I got a quote from MWE for some Camso B pattern tracks, very easy to deal with and emailed me a quote within 20 minutes of talking to them. I haven't ordered anything yet but I'm leaning towards buying from them at the current time.

HRPServicesTX

Occupation
Thanks Mark, I checked with them. $3450 for camso HXD c lug, and $2450 for mwe version of c lug tracks. What is the b pattern tracks? Was trying to find on their website but couldn't.

That's good to know on the Kubota finals, I just would hate to have a really aggressive tread pattern for traction and then spend a fortune replacing final drives.

Mark13

Thanks Mark, I checked with them. $3450 for camso HXD c lug, and $2450 for mwe version of c lug tracks. What is the b pattern tracks? Was trying to find on their website but couldn't.

That's good to know on the Kubota finals, I just would hate to have a really aggressive tread pattern for traction and then spend a fortune replacing final drives.

It's #5 on their list. The zig zag bar pattern.
http://www.tracksandtires.com/machines/rubber-tracks/ctl-tracks/

They're supposed to be smoother then the offset block pattern and much better in the snow.

Some places call them the SD tracks as well.
https://camso.co/en/products-solutions/construction/products/ctl-sd?productType=1219&p=CO44

HRPServicesTX

Occupation
Oh yes I've seen those. Kinda tossed around that pattern too but afraid I'd chip the lugs too easy on rock. There's a member on here that told me about them, he has them on a t300 going on 1800 hours with them. Great traction. Herein Texas I don't care about tracks for snow lol.

Kind of tossing around the prowler AT, and EXT tracks too. Wasn't hearing too good of reviews on some McLaren TDF tracks.

Mark13

Oh yes I've seen those. Kinda tossed around that pattern too but afraid I'd chip the lugs too easy on rock. There's a member on here that told me about them, he has them on a t300 going on 1800 hours with them. Great traction. Herein Texas I don't care about tracks for snow lol.

Kind of tossing around the prowler AT, and EXT tracks too. Wasn't hearing too good of reviews on some McLaren TDF tracks.

I don't suppose the snow in Texas is to big of an issue or to common either lol.

The farm I help had the TDF tracks on their Gehl CTL60 a few years ago, they seemed ok but really liked to tear the ground up. They liked the B/SD pattern tracks better they had before the TDF tracks from what I heard.

HRPServicesTX

Occupation
That's good info, I'm getting those SD tracks quoted too.
What do you think about those 2 patterns from Hiqual that I have pics of? I do have to use it on rock/gravel occasionally.

JNB

Occupation
That's good info, I'm getting those SD tracks quoted too.
What do you think about those 2 patterns from Hiqual that I have pics of? I do have to use it on rock/gravel occasionally.

From what I see...more edges equals more traction in certain conditions, but that also equals that many more edges to tear up too. The block patterns usually wear out the inside of the track before the lugs disappear. Tracks with lots of edges seem to wear down faster. Since the inside of the track is also wearing out, my feeling is that the block pattern gives more traction towards the end of the track's life. Just my opinion.

Toward the end of my "track crap shoot" decision I paid more attention to what was going on on the inside surface of the track instead of the tread pattern . My Case has single flange front idlers that place more pressure on the the center lug area. Since the rear idlers are also singles, a lot of pressure is pushing down on the center steel area. Just the rollers run on the thick rubber outside the lugs. My OEM tracks actually looked like the outside of the steel lugs were trying to tear there way through the rubber. Lots of major cracks there.

The double front idler on your Kubota puts pressure outside the lugs on the thick rubber area. That's a vastly better design for spreading out the weight in front under load, but I'd look for heavy rubber in that area since everything is riding there except the rear idlers. That should help to lessen vibration too. I honestly don't think that a more aggressive tread design is that big of an advantage in the conditions both you and I operate in. I'd rather give up a little in the traction department for longevity. I know I'm over thinking it...but it's been raining all week. :D

HRPServicesTX

Occupation
Yes on the inside of my oem tracks, there's some deep cuts, but besides that, the rubber the idlers/rollers ride on really isn't too bad of shape. I've been paying attention to the thickness of rubber from track brands in those areas. Ive also noticed some brands instead of having solid rubber all the way around for the idlers, they have a bunch of closely spaced "pads" the idlers roll on. I ran across a track that was just over 300#, so I started asking everywhere. Mwe c lug is 602#/ track, trelleborg is 576#/track, prowler C lug is 560#, waiting on Hiqual. I'm guessing heavier should mean better built...more solid. Trelleborg shot me a heck of a deal theyre doing this quarter for C lug with free shipping...$1950 for a set, their brochure has good info on their tracks. I'll see if I can load it on here somehow. Yeah with the rain I have some time to get this researched more. View attachment Trelleborg-Tracks.pdf

JNB

Occupation
Yeah, I'm not real impressed by the pad design unless it's additional thickness. At some point during rotation the rollers (and to a lesser degree, double front idlers) will be putting pressure between the pads. One thing that annoyed me during my search is that a lot of the companies show a rendering of their tracks and not an actual photo. Actual photos showing details can be pretty hard to find. I think that manufacturers spend a lot of time trying to outdo the other guy by coming up with fancy tread patterns and cute terminology. Then the designs are copied by the Chinese and the smaller vendors come up with their own cute terminology. From what I've seen on the forums, some of the specialized patterns make a difference pushing snow or minimizing turf tear-up, but for pushing dirt everyday...not so much. When was the last time you heard anyone say...Wow, at 500hrs these tracks still push like nothing I've ever seen before.? Never heard that myself.