• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Track pad bolts

gwhammy

Update I got one side in the garage this morning. I'm working by myself so lining up the socket on the bolt is a little tough as my eyes aren't the greatest and the bolt is the same color as the track. I got 28 pads loose before I ruined the socket. Seven broke and I had to get off the machine to beat them out. Sometimes the socket would hang and come off the adapter but I started angling as I picked up and most the time the socket would come off of the bolt.

One hour exactly if I would have help could have cut that in half I'm guessing. Just for fun I cranked one the other way and it broke in a half turn with no strain on the auger. None of the ACME adapter has failed yet. This is not taking the nut completely off as some of nuts starting turning near the end. Think I'll go to Harbor F. and see if they will warranty the rounded socket!!

gwhammy

Got them all loose and decided to use my Milwaukee impact to spin them out. It was all it could do to turn most of them so I'm guessing the rust build up was half the load breaking them loose. The one I over tightened broke down by the nut. The ones that broke trying to loosen them broke the head off. Angling the socket is what ruined it I believe.

thefixxer

I have been using rust penetrant product for over 20 years that has made the removal of stuck fasteners much easier than any other product I have ever used. The stuff is called Yield and is made by Chemsearch. I have had bolts that would not come off with heating, beating or any other method you can think of, soak them with Yield, give it a little time, and 99% of the time they will come loose with surprisingly minimal effort. Amazing stuff. Every one that I have turned on to this stuff ended up ordering their own supply. It's not the cheapest, but I won't use anything else. I order it by the case direct from Chemsearch.