• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Track pad bolts

gwhammy

I bought a dead 963 with real good 22 inch double grouser pads. Being the tight ass I am I'd like to try and save the track bolts as they are in real good shape. My inch impact wouldn't budge them. I did heat one nut red hot and got it loose. Has anyone used an induction heater on these to get them loose?

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Heating to red heat and slow cooling of Grade 9 alloy steel hardware destroys their heat treatment and results in the nuts and bolts becoming hard and more brittle.
A good soaking over a few days with a top grade penetrant should see them crack loose.
Make 100% sure that your socket is a tight fit on the heads, use an undersize socket if required. A loose-fitting socket causes losses in the impact effect.

sawmilleng

What Oz sez... Plus sometimes a 10 foot cheater on a flex bar gets that first bit that the airgun can't do.

Also, I noticed that the oil patch boys up here tend to use "slug wrenches" that look like a box end wrench with the other end made to be hit with a sledge hammer. Never used one myself but might be another angle to try...

Jon.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
I saw a demo of a heavy thick walled 6 point impact socket working better than a lighter weight socket. When we poped off some of the 977 pads 1" impact, 3/4" hose plumed straight into the end of the tank, no oil, no heat, no problem. Good tip on giving the penitrating oil lots of time to work... recoating over many days really helped me in the past. Big hammers are nice!! Hold the wrench hard into the direction you want to go and bash it with a big one. Try wacking staight down on the head first, it can help break the hold the rust has on it.

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
What are you going to do with the dead 963?

As far as the bolts - my suggestion would be to gas axe them off, buy new ones and get back to running the machine and making money.

ianjoub

I just spent 4 days removing 344 track pad bolts from my D7. I had to heat 95% of them and cut off 20% of those. I bought an induction heater but it hasn't arrived from China yet. My advice is cut them off, buy new ones and get back to running the machine and making money. (Or just listen to CM1995).

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I can't stress too much as regards the tight-fitting socket. A socket that's even a slightly loose fit on the head, "bounces" off the head flats, and you lose a lot of the direct impact thump, that is needed to break the nuts loose.

All track bolt heads wear, and they develop a taper on the flats on the heads that makes it difficult to get a socket to fit them firmly.
Some tool companies even manufacture specially-undersized sockets for track bolts. But sometimes you can get a metric socket to make a tight fit, even if it needs a little hammering on and off.

You will possibly wear out 2 or 3 sockets on a full set of tracks, this is "severe service" work, and the flats on the sockets collect a hiding from this type of work.

Shimmy1

You will possibly wear out 2 or 3 sockets on a full set of tracks, this is "severe service" work, and the flats on the sockets collect a hiding from this type of work.

Absolutely agree with this. When I did the rails on my little Case a couple years ago, wore out two Tekton impact sockets. Bought a Snap-on.

Same thing last winter, but I think it was only one casualty on the 210.

Welder Dave

A 963 has medium size bolts and not worth the time and effort to try and reuse them. If they were originally stretched slightly to get the proper torque I think they may be compromised putting them back to the correct torque. They would need to be torqued slightly tighter to compensate which may make them more prone to failure. Aftermarket bolts are quite a bit less than Cat to replace.

gwhammy

Probably going to cut the nuts. Bought it for the motor and thought while I had it in the shop I'd get the pads off. Wanting to use the 22 inch pads on the 963 I'm putting the motor in. Guess I'll drag it to the bone yard and just pull the rails to cut the bolts in the shop when weather shuts me down. We had a 8 foot pipe on a 3/4 breaker bar but didn't budge even one of them.

crane operator

I had a lowboy with stuck lug nuts that my 1" gun wouldn't touch. I had a 10' cheater bar on, and I was bouncing that trailer all over the yard, chained the rims up to the frame and everything.

This stupid little tool popped them loose. Its just a hand torque multiplier, but I've popped more stuck stuff loose with it than I like to think about. I've got one of the the old ratchet type second bar torque multipliers, but they are a pain trying to hold everything in place, these with the torque arm, are a one man operation.

I don't know if you would have enough pad/ grouser sticking up- for the arm to grab on to.

They're cheap and they looked gimmicky as all get out, but its saved my bacon a few times.

I have done the "heavy" socket thing also, by welding a thick wall piece of pipe over top of the socket, with limited success.

torque multiplier.jpg

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I've been purchasing "Grey Pneumatic" impact sockets through son in law and have been very pleased with these. They seem to hold up well. I only have a few in 1" drive but only use them on wheel ends so far. Never have broken anything in the 3/4", 3/8", or 1/4" set at all.

ianjoub

I had a lowboy with stuck lug nuts that my 1" gun wouldn't touch. I had a 10' cheater bar on, and I was bouncing that trailer all over the yard, chained the rims up to the frame and everything.

This stupid little tool popped them loose. Its just a hand torque multiplier, but I've popped more stuck stuff loose with it than I like to think about. I've got one of the the old ratchet type second bar torque multipliers, but they are a pain trying to hold everything in place, these with the torque arm, are a one man operation.

I don't know if you would have enough pad/ grouser sticking up- for the arm to grab on to.

They're cheap and they looked gimmicky as all get out, but its saved my bacon a few times.

I have done the "heavy" socket thing also, by welding a thick wall piece of pipe over top of the socket, with limited success.

View attachment 301514
Ok, I just ordered one from Amazon. I'll put it to the test in a couple of weeks on the roller retaining bolts on the D7.

crane operator

Ok, I just ordered one from Amazon. I'll put it to the test in a couple of weeks on the roller retaining bolts on the D7.
I got the one in the blue case, just because it came with more sockets. The cases are kind of crap, so I've moved ours over to a old red metal tool box with some extra sockets.

When you get to really cranking on them, you can see it all torque up, so be careful. You can't put a impact on them, they have to have the constant tension on the handle. Impact will just beat it to pieces.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I can't stress too much as regards the tight-fitting socket. A socket that's even a slightly loose fit on the head, "bounces" off the head flats, and you lose a lot of the direct impact thump, that is needed to break the nuts loose.
Cat used to sell "undersized" 6-point impact sockets specifically for removing track bolts with worn heads. I'm not sure whether or not they still do, even though the sockets are still isted in my Tool Guide. Depending on the bolt head size the sockets are broached 1/32" or 1/16" under the size of the "standard" socket for the bolt head.

1703439481557.png

ianjoub

I got the one in the blue case, just because it came with more sockets. The cases are kind of crap, so I've moved ours over to a old red metal tool box with some extra sockets.

When you get to really cranking on them, you can see it all torque up, so be careful. You can't put a impact on them, they have to have the constant tension on the handle. Impact will just beat it to pieces.

the one I got: