• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Torque Multipliers vs Torque guns

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I always look at it this way - the multiplier has a designed reaction bar that comes in the box along with it. If that bar will not safely anchor somewhere without needing extending in some way then put the whole thing back in the box and find another way to do the job.

KBLAIR

You should look at the hydraulic torque wrenches. The can be a little pricey but much more affective and safer. You set them up and stand back.

KBLAIR

Until they blow a hydraulic line, as mentioned before.

Yeah that can definitely happen. Normal when someone leaves it in the back of their truck pinched and rubbing against something then they hook up without looking at the hoses.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
We had one blow here a couple of years ago. It injected a sh1t-load of high-pressure hydraulic oil under the skin of a mechanic's arm and if he hadn't have thrown his arm up in a reflex action it would have probably hit him right in the face. I shudder to think what the consequences would have been.

mikebramel

You shouldn't be standing anywhere near a 10,000psi hose when it it under working pressure. Just like you shouldn't make reaction bars out of crowbars, pipes, etc for a torque multiplier.

Slidey

Occupation
HD fitter
I've used 1 1/2 hitorq setups quite a bit. On D11R undercarriages the 1" just won't cut it. Rad guns are handy but both leave me nervous, the rad gun maybe moreso as when it slips it happens a lot quicker.

I've made the flogging spanner before but in Aus there's no way you would get away with it now

Randy88

With that kind of torque, I'd opt for plan D, E or F whatever we are up to by now, and that's to take it somewhere to have them fix it, paying the bill maybe cheap compared to major injury or death if things go wrong, if something slips or breaks while doing this project.................................. but that's up to you to decide.

I've used and own a torque multiplier, but after the reaction bar started to slip on where it was placed once, sweat started to run off my forehead and the oh sh@t factor kicked in big time, that pucker factor also kicked in and the moment of truth came, do I attempt to back it off or keep going or where could I jump fast enough to avoid flying debris, then I noticed the reason for the problem was a socket that popped and cracked, as they say no good options at hand, but at that moment, I'd have given any amount of money to have anyone else holding the breaker bar other than me, preferably at another shops location with their insurance involved and I'd have gotten a call later to inform me of the outcome. Nobody got hurt...........luckily but every time I go to use it, I ask myself, just how much is this project worth to me and do I really want to do it that badly myself. Just a thought to ponder a while before putting that kind of torque on anything, as they say things do break, go wrong and bad things happen faster than you can blink.

RBMcCloskey

Occupation
Heavy Construction Contractor
Morning Tom,
Great looking set-up, could you give us the details. I have a 3,200 FT/LB unit and it is a beastie.
Thanks,
Bob