• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Toppled Crane

td25c

Welcome To the forum rbtree & cool job pictures.That big ole Stihl chainsaw makes the Grove crane look small in the last picture.

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
Thanks, liebherr....

You know a lot more than cranes than I, but I know trees. Based on what you said (and I understand the pricing and how to pay for a lower rated crane by not using the full CW complement), the main mistake was the way the climber made his cut. I explained the proper way, which most likely would have been fine.

The piece that was cut may even be less than 6000 lb, as it doesn't look huge. (You should see some of the picks I do with my favorite guy, who only has a 23 ton truck mount. As long as we're close, we pick 5000-10,000 lb with it routinely (vertical picks, no dynamic loading)

Here's the relevant load chart. I think page 10 0r 11 may be close...but maybe there's a better page showing the jib.....
http://www.maximcrane.com/loadcharts/4 All Terrain Cranes/Grove/GMK-5175_175T.pdf

I think I know why it might be better to not have full boom extension, but to fly the jib....Is it because it's lighter?[/QUOTE]

Thats the theory ..
These a sale's brochures and not to be taken as actual load charts for the machine.. In the brochure there is no 131/33 ft combination with that counter weight ..which kinda stumped me first ..
But then I strolled over to the 150 Krupp.. and found no 136/33 combo ..And I know its there in the machine ..I can put jib in that in my sleep
The brochures are OK for examples ..but I really would like to get the chart out of that crane ..

That 175 and the 150 Krupp have alot in common ..Grove bought Krupp ..and even that 175 now that i saw all the other pic's shows its Krupp linage ..
I'll await my flogging here ..but on a limb (so to speak ) that crane is 15 yrs old ..+/- 2 yrs.. shame ..

heavylift

Is this crane one that resets everything when it's restarted. I ran a 28 ton in the mid 90's that you had to reprogram the LMI everytime. I was wondering if that crane would relevel if restarted

I seen the less rate thing when Belger comes on a job... They brought a 6 wheel linkbelt {100+ tons}to lift about a 1000 pound... I talked to the main guy.. he said that was the only crane that was available.. and they charge for a little crane...

I worked for a company in the late 80's that all the job trailers there was several books .... with all the load charts.. sizes ...weights of machines ... all the other stuff available for whatever model of crane...

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
Is this crane one that resets everything when it's restarted. I ran a 28 ton in the mid 90's that you had to reprogram the LMI everytime. I was wondering if that crane would relevel if restarted
I seen the less rate thing when Belger comes on a job... They brought a 6 wheel linkbelt {100+ tons}to lift about a 1000 pound... I talked to the main guy.. he said that was the only crane that was available.. and they charge for a little crane...

I worked for a company in the late 80's that all the job trailers there was several books .... with all the load charts.. sizes ...weights of machines ... all the other stuff available for whatever model of crane...

No ..once the outrigger's are set ..she's good to go ..
Most LMI's do have to be reset after a restart

Last edited:

heavylift

I was asking about the axle lockout system.... :) sorry about that.... My post does sound outriggerish...

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
I was asking about the axle lockout system.... :) sorry about that.... My post does sound outriggerish...

That Grove ..Yes the suspension is locked out via a rocker switch on the dash or by turning the ignition to the off position ..

Normally when I set those units up this is how i do it ..

#1 raise suspension a little (depends on my mat thickness)and lock it
#2 get on half outtrigger's
#3 set my mats or steel plates next to the outtrigger jacks ..
#4 boom up to 76degrees or better ,swing to the rear ,positive house lock in ,electric swing brake engaged
#5 raise the jacks one by one,one by one extend the outriggers to fully extended position, pin an dog them ..

#6 unlock the suspension, turn suspension key,press all lower axle button,drop the axle pressure's to 0 psi (This can be site spacific ..but on level ground ..all lower).level the crane on outrigger's and kill the carrier..

#7 hook onto my counter weight ,set it on the carrier ,swing to rear ,house lock in ,,raise and pin counter weight to the crane, retract counter weight jacks ,,
switch to scope and drive out the boom ..
Takes about 30 minutes.. if I only have one load of counter weight ..

Last edited:

heavylift

nothing like doing a job with millions watching...

that's another bad thing about putting you name on the boom... billboard....

might have to put UN on front of the name....:)

td25c

Thats crazy they still picked the tree over the home bringing in a bigger crane to do the job . This is part of an OSHA investigation?What's to investigate?It's hard to believe that an OSHA ivestegator would go along with or be a part of that job.Thanks for posting the artical TSK415.We are all for safety on the forum ,If I was the OSHA inspector,I'd say send a few boys around the back a that house with chainsaws and turn that 12,000 pound chunk into firewood so the carpenders can start fixing the damage on the home from the first episode .

heavylift

I think the osha guy was there to make sure his piece of wood wasn't altered... Plus may have it hauled to get a certified weight... to help with the investigation..

CinOK

I have never done tree work with that large of a crane but worked with company with a crazy climber he was good and the boss got alot of jobs becuase the climber could do jobs that no one else would touch without a crane. We did alot of block and tackle work and the trick was in the cut and how it loaded the ropes We had a crane on a job but it wasnt reaching over the house but the operator was clear no quick cuts ease the load onto the crane. Im with JB the climber either forced the cut or misjudged the noth. I had thought maybe he hit a bad spot on the trunk but it looks solid from the pictures.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
This may be in the wrong section, if so, My apologies. Reading liebherr's post about his procedures for setting his outriggers coincides with outrigger pads I've just fabricated for a 50 ton Grove AT crane.

I've got a set of 6' square wooden pads. They work great, but are overkill for most jobs, and are so heavy a forklift is needed to set them. We still use typical wood blocks, but lots of times the wood blocks STILL won't support the load. These shop/home built pads are 42" square. Each one has a 3/16" plate top and bottom. Inside I used 2" wide flat steel turned on edge welded on 16" centers similar to a fifth wheel plate on semi trailers. Dead in the center is a clevis mount to lift them with the crane. The clevis will fold over inside a 6" sch 40 pipe. All four pads will set on a rack that the crane can pick up and set on the back of the truck. Anxious to give them a try and see how it works.

Last edited:

Impact

Occupation
Owner
Trying to figure out how to post a photo.

Attachments

• 100_3722.jpg
    100_3722.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 512

Impact

Occupation
Owner
another

Attachments

• 100_3723.jpg
    100_3723.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 501
  • 100_3724.jpg
    100_3724.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 487

heavylift

might be a day or two before he answers.... but they look good...
better weld a name and some kind of id#... nice stuff will disappear....

If that does work a little bit of hot pink paint :)

do you have any photos of when they were being built...

Impact

Occupation
Owner
Sorry. That is the only photos I have. We're just now finishing them. We're going to paint them black I think. Pink just doesn't sound right..Although..might keep someone from stealing them..:thumbsup

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Pink just doesn't sound right..Although..might keep someone from stealing them..

:yup thats the idea.

Here in the UK big plastic? mats are very common. I say plastic but maybe a member of that family :rolleyes:

But I suppose they still need a solid surface underneath, which is why you have made those.

cabin 023.jpg

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Why wouldn't they just cut it in half?

Evidence. I bet a lot of work will be done with that lump of wood including balancing, reslinging and very close analasis of the cut.

Somebody is going to pay. The question to be answered is who?

heavylift

Before the accident that would have been a good idea...

(1)the cutter may have lied to the operator....My next cuts here... he says cool.. then moves down the tree for even a bigger chunker... without the operator knowing the added weight....

(2)everyone was in a big hurry to get to the bar..:).. I can handle that much weight...

(3) everyone's trying to save a buck... on both sides.... not enough counterweight on crane.... cutter trying too big of cut, so he get the job done in the minimum time a company charges..