• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

To Paint it or Not????

mudober

Occupation
heavy equiptment operator
Hello all,
I have a 1968 J621 that i used to build my pond and fill in some draws. Now I am trying to sell it and was wondering what others have experienced with the outcome of repainting an old machine like this be it a dozer or whatever. I know it wont make it haul anymore dirt than it does now. So do you think it is worth the money to repaint it? Thanks for your input.

GroundWorks

Personally, I'd stay away from anything that was given a quick paint job just to sell it. I've seen what paint can cover up (hide), I'd sooner look at the real deal. Scratches and wear marks happen, it's a part of the machine's life!

DPete

Looks pretty straight I vote sandblast & paint, you realize painting is the easy part, the prep is where the work is. If you can do it yourself it will be worth it IMO.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Spraying her wouldn't do her justice as it would be just a lick and a promise. She will sell better as she is as anyone buying her won't be looking at the paint.....................
She is what I would term as an honest and original machine..........

Last edited:

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
I run from new paint jobs on old equipment.Found to many trying to cover up whats wrong with it.I feel better when I scratch an unpainted machine too.

millingman

If you do paint, don't do it cheaply. Sandblasting her first would be a must. Otherwise it'd look like you were covering her problems. You may not get the money back you put into painting her properly.

sheepfoot

Take lots of pic's around with a date and time before cleaning, then if you want, go for it. If paint matters to the buyer,they may pay more, offer as is with a paint option. Some machine's max out like they are and prep and paint will cost you time and money and lower your take. It's alot of work like said.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
If paint matters to the buyer,they may pay more, offer as is with a paint option.

Dangerous road to embark on, your level of detail may differ greatly from the purchaser they may not want a car finish and not want to pay or on the other hand their expectation of finish may be high but not willing to pay for it..........................................................

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Put your money into fixing any leaking hydraulics and cracks. The biggest hit item to purchasers of those machines is the tires anyway.

Good Luck!

mudober

Occupation
Wow!!! Thanks for the great feedback guys. Really cool to here from people around the world. I have fixed the major problems and leaks and now the machine is much better than when i got it. I just had the seat redone so now you don't have to sit on a towel. I will now focus more on the mechanical side of things and no longer waste my time thinking about painting it. I plan on coming down on my asking price and i will let a new owner worry about painting it if they chose too. It would be sad to see it go to scrap like so many of these old dogs have. I hope I will find her a nice new home. new seat.jpg

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Man that old Jay looks straight . . . is she working in that first pic or was it all set up and posed (I dunno if I see heat haze coming out the stack or not) most times those old girls blew a bit of black stuff . . . if she was working then the old V8 is running pretty good.

And I'm with majority of the the other blokes, I certainly wouldn't paint it, just a pressure wash or steam clean and present her in all her glory. They were an honest old machine.

Just out of curiosity what would she be worth . . . or rather what would she sell for in the U.S.?

Cheers.

JDOFMEMI

I don't know about Illinois, but here in Kalifornia, it is worth what it weighs times what scrap is selling for, it doesn't matter how well it runs. That would be about $10,000 to $11,000.

That is how it is here due to the combination of the CARB rules and the general lack of any work to use it on anyway. I hope the market for it is better there where you live. It is a shame to watch all of our older iron meet the scrappers torch.

dirtmonkey

Occupation
dozer monkey , self employed
:IMO leave it like it is. I've seen too many one coat " overhauls " if you know what I mean. :badidea.
I prefer to see it like it is :my2c

mudober

Occupation
I am near Harmony, IL RNI. I work out of local 520. I will try and get an add posted on here soon so keep an eye out for it. That is a working picture of me stripping top soil so i could later place some clay fill in there to level up the draws for my new Ultralight landing strip.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
i buy and sell lots of stuff/equipment/trucks/etc 90% of the time, they need painting and I get it at a good price. Depends on what it is, but most of the time I paint it and charge the paint price +?
As stated the paint job on a big machine like this, may over price the machine, where you can make a profit. Boy I would hate to know I had to blast and paint that monster myself. Im thinking $4000+ for sand sweeping, priming and painting
I would pressure wash it and let it go
GoodLuck