• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tire Chains or Snow Tires for Skid steer?? I'm stuck lol.

hdm

Chains have arrived today...and i'm going up north Tomorrow...should be -10 C on Friday...(we'll dip to -25C this weekend ) and lots of snow. So get to install these things Friday and test them out. From what i gather i'll be lucky to drive in this week again... it's a snowy winter. Pictures and thoughts on the chains when i get them on and try them out:) cheers!

hdm

The chains are awesome. QCC makes teh chains model 1502-2 (2link). By way of my pictures i do need to fix one of the chains on a bit better, but i know what's wrong and shouldn't be too tough a fix to do. i'll simply take off what i have, jack it up, and fix it. You should be able to tell by the bungee alignment which one i smessed up lol:) Otherwise, they bit amazing, i was crawling up snowpiles with them (fearful of going back upside down lol). Was able to really bite into my laneway without any motion..just steady traction, and confidence to be able to spin 90degrees and dump my bucket when i needed to... Also, when i use bucket to get unstuck, the chains bite quickly to pull me out at same time.

I'm impressed... i have to go back up tomorrow to clear teh snow as we're getting ~25cm of snow and ice and don't enjoy walking in on weekends. (any excuse to visit the property and i'm there)

DSC_0939.jpgDSC_0944.jpgDSC_0945.jpgDSC_0946.jpg

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Looking better than stuck in the snowbank!! The farm had chains on all four wheels, mostly cause there was two sets just hanging unused in the barn so tossed them on for fun.

hdm

Just wanted to post that bought from CanadianChains.com ...i broke one of the quick links (used to hook inside of chain). I wrote to them to see how to get spare parts.. they shipped me two quick links and two of the outside tensioner links..which was a pleasant surprise. very happy to have dealt with them. DSC_0983.jpg

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
the hook I usually just make with a cutoff wheel and an extra chain link, cheating I know. Darned nice of them to send you the parts!

hdm

I'm so new to this...but yeah..makes sense to just make your own links, i have spare links now lol (from cutting my chains to shorten a bit). They also gave two extra binders..which could be quite useful. Going in a bin for now :)