• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tire Chains or Snow Tires for Skid steer?? I'm stuck lol.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Skids get high centered very easy! don't let snow get under you, it doesn't take much, right there, push the bucket down, rock it back, use the D1 to clear under the belly and while its up, slap some truck chains on the front, and another set on the rear. We ran 4 wheel chains after flipping the tires, right-left and left-right to gain 2 inches of offset, wheels are dual pattern usually.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I got chains for my Cat 248 at tirechains.com

http://www.tirechain.com/Skid-Steer-Tire-Chains.htm

I got 2 link ladder type and it gives a somewhat decent ride. I put them on the rears with the intent of getting another set for the front someday. Made a huge difference in traction. When I wore out the original Chevron style tires I replaced them with Solideal SKZ Hauler which has a tread that resembles a rear truck tire.

http://www.tiresdirect.net/Webpage.aspx?WebpageId=106&CategoryId=920

These are much better in snow than the originals. Slightly less useful in gooey mud as the tread can fill with dirt.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
. Another thing to consider is put a fresh layer of gloss paint in the bucket otherwise you will always have a bucket of snow even after you dump, some will still stick in the corners with the new paint but at least it actually dumps out when you want.

I'm cheap (and I forget to apply it in the fall) so I have taken a hot stick to melt off the snow, then swab with crude oil.

The Pennsylvania crude is loaded with paraffin.

hdm

well after reading everything I had chains and they are ok I guess for what they are what it boils down to what you like

I had chains and on a 773 turbo they will spin them off I finally bought a set of tracks mine are like this
View attachment 162650
several years ago and you wont believe how well they work

the company I bought them from is no longer around I did find these

http://www.goldenbellinc.com/web1081.htm

*** my guy said don't put these on the 1845, driveline won't be very happy... need more power scotty!! *** but i like the concept a lot.

hdm

I'm cheap (and I forget to apply it in the fall) so I have taken a hot stick to melt off the snow, then swab with crude oil.

The Pennsylvania crude is loaded with paraffin.

Interesting idear :) i like it. i have a paint brush/can just for lubing my forklift chains.

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
You can put on chains and deal with all that comes with it or...

2014-01-19 14.07.06.jpg

255/75/22.5 grippers (like the solideal tread) will almost stall out the engine. Raises your ground clearance, wheel speed and traction coefficient.

Last edited:

hdm

I'm debating between two choices now. 1 is for light truck (7mm chain) that fits (12x16.5) http://www.canadianchains.ca/Canadian-Spec-V-Bar--Light-Truck_p_14.html (268 + tax, includes shipping). The other is for super heavy duty (8mm chain) http://www.canadianchains.ca/Double-Duty-Square-Link--Skid-Steer_p_36.html (487.00 + cdn tax, includes shipping). I kinda think the first option , while 4 link vs 2 link, and lighter duty, will serve me well for my use. I only plow on weekends when i'm at my 'northern property'...so once a week vs being an business. That being said, i don't like wasting my money by being too cheap. NOt sure if the extra 220 dollars for set of super duty chains is worth it..or if it'll be painful if i don't go that route. Thoughts? 4link light truck vs 2link heavy duty. Very much appreciate the feedback so far. Cheers, Hayes

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
The heavier the chains, the rougher the ride. If the lighter ones have strong enough links I think you are in business.

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
Hey hdm if you buy the HD ones you won't think I wish I bought the lighter ones. Them hds look sweet stronger last longer and better traction but Im good at spending other people's money....

ironjunkie

You can put on chains and deal with all that comes with it or...

View attachment 162718

255/75/22.5 grippers (like the solideal tread) will almost stall out the engine. Raises your ground clearance, wheel speed and traction coefficient.
I've been playing with that idea myself, I have a long 55" wheel base and thought about going even taller. Also have a 2 speed and wonder what the road speed would be but worry about needing to make special attachment (for snow only) with a lower attachment points. What's your opinion?

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
The heavier the chains, the rougher the ride. If the lighter ones have strong enough links I think you are in business.

I just used a bunch of light truck chains had laying around, ended up tearing a couple of them up after a day or two but like I said I had two chains on each tire and plenty of bungee tighteners.

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
I've been playing with that idea myself, I have a long 55" wheel base and thought about going even taller. Also have a 2 speed and wonder what the road speed would be but worry about needing to make special attachment (for snow only) with a lower attachment points. What's your opinion?

The giant custom bucket has a higher mounting to get the edge flat. This has worked tremendously well for my unique situation. I wanted traction to slot doze not speed.
2 speed with big tires and you would crash. Would probably go 30mph. Dunno if you would want to push hard in high as your gear ratio is about doubled.

tawilson1152

I'm debating between two choices now. 1 is for light truck (7mm chain) that fits (12x16.5) http://www.canadianchains.ca/Canadian-Spec-V-Bar--Light-Truck_p_14.html (268 + tax, includes shipping). The other is for super heavy duty (8mm chain) http://www.canadianchains.ca/Double-Duty-Square-Link--Skid-Steer_p_36.html (487.00 + cdn tax, includes shipping). I kinda think the first option , while 4 link vs 2 link, and lighter duty, will serve me well for my use. I only plow on weekends when i'm at my 'northern property'...so once a week vs being an business. That being said, i don't like wasting my money by being too cheap. NOt sure if the extra 220 dollars for set of super duty chains is worth it..or if it'll be painful if i don't go that route. Thoughts? 4link light truck vs 2link heavy duty. Very much appreciate the feedback so far. Cheers, Hayes

I bought a set of 4 link heavy duty chains from my Bobcat dealer for my S250 last year. I put them on the rear and liked them enough to get a set for the front. The set on the back doesn't rattle me too bad but I want be in the snow to put the front ones on. I do have severe duty tires and was thinking the chain laying in the deep tread took some of the effect away but just took it for a spin and it looks from my tracks that the chain pops out and is biting in on every cross link. Definitely gives more traction. I would be afraid of tearing up lighter duty chains.

DirtyHoe

well after reading everything I had chains and they are ok I guess for what they are what it boils down to what you like

I had chains and on a 773 turbo they will spin them off I finally bought a set of tracks mine are like this
View attachment 162650
several years ago and you wont believe how well they work

the company I bought them from is no longer around I did find these

http://www.goldenbellinc.com/web1081.htm

I'm looking into this style because they are at least half the price of the name brands. What are the pros and cons of this style? I'm in Oregon so mostly wet and muddy, with a lot of vegetation. I would be on a hard surface less them 5% of the time. I have 4 acres to clear and my machine if for personal use.

Steve

deck60

I'm looking into this style because they are at least half the price of the name brands. What are the pros and cons of this style? I'm in Oregon so mostly wet and muddy, with a lot of vegetation. I would be on a hard surface less them 5% of the time. I have 4 acres to clear and my machine if for personal use.

Steve

I bought mine in 2010 that winter we got a bunch of ice and after sliding through fences feeding horses I bought these tracks.

when they arrived I thought boy did get taken but after 10 minutes of operation i had a total different feeling towards them you can actually pop the front end up and balance it on the ice you wouldn't think they would but they are really aw-sum

a couple of things they are rough riding not as smooth but I really don't care about that because of what they will do

they will conform to the tire so you will have to tighten them after about 10hrs of operation

I have used them on several different tires no adverse wear they might actually protect them from gravel

right now I am running solid tires so in the winter they are a must

you will be able to go places and do things that you couldn't do before

would I buy them again ??? yes in a heart beat

hdm

Well...used forklift and came out easy... attached to mast forms and gave bit of angle for pulling out. Ordered the 2 link chains... look forward to their arrival. Hopefully during week next week. We are getting g more snow than usual. Figure with chains ill be in good shape. Also bought battery tender and a Wi-Fi outlet for remote co troll of my block heater. Ready to go when I get up here. Thanks to all for advice and support.

wrwtexan

Occupation
Indy Farm Wrench, heavy land clearing, rancher
Regarding the econotracks pictured, I have a set for my LS 180. I purchased them from Eel River Steel Works. Look up Eel Tracks. I have 14x17.5 tires so mine were a little more pricey at $1,200, but they have been a decent alternative to an expensive set of Grouser or McLarren for what I use them. Tightening can be a problem as they are merely a loop of chain but they need to be tight otherwise in a sharp backing turn, they have a tendency to crawl off. Buy the nifty extra install tool they offer... I have nearly new tires on mine and in mud, the tracks slipped badly until I added a rebar on the inside of some of the pads. They aren't for heavy pulling, more for flotation. They do have a tendency to eat sidewalls a bit.
I went to these tracks after some heavy military surplus deuce chains my dad had come up with. I ran them on all four and really helped with traction but I could set her on her belly in no time.