• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tinnitus

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
https://www.silencilofficialwebsite.com/silencil
Like many of you I have had tinnitus for 40 plus years and have tried many things including hearing aids. I have always been told it is caused by prolonged loud noise like straight exhaust pipes on Detroits and dozers Have you tried this product or any others and what was it successful?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I don't think it's gonna make the hairs in the cochlea stand up, so I think it's another snake oil like quietus a few years back. I haven't tried it, but i have my doubts.
I did read somewhere, something about mice , they can allegedly regrow those dead laying hairs. Don't know if clinical trials are started yet, but it sounded promising.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Can also be created by high blood pressure. If my tinnitus is pinging, I know my BP is higher than it should be.
for years BP was 120 over 80 but cicadas noise still there. Since semiretiremt BP has gone up a little but the noise is just as bad.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I have had it for almost 20 years and I'm only 40 years old, was brought on from war, fans at night next to where you sleep, and some background noise at all times if possible. To hear people better in some situations I wear ear plugs to drown out background noises such as wind.
The sacrifice some give for this country is of some will never understand or know, but the fact of never to hear peace and quiet again is a hefty price.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have tried several of the Snake Oil treatments, NONE ever did more than lower my bank account. Hearing Aids are the only thing that reduces mine but are the specific tone dialed in types($$$$), not just basic amplifiers. Suspicion is mine started when hit by a car at three as I have never known it NOT to be ringing.

Legdoc

I feel your pain. I am 60 and have had Tinnitus for 40 years due to stupid stuff like shooting a .22 and working with pneumatic nail guns in a previous life. Fast forward 35 years I have discussed this with several of my ENT friends asking what's new for this. All answer nothing. Save your money, learn to deal with it. I have learned to disregard it which works well. I also have a habit of having to say "what" all the time as I don't listen. As long as there is not a lot of background noise I have no trouble with a normal conversation. My wife also runs a fan at night for 35 years to sleep. That probably didn't help. Anytime I am around noise much louder than a typical conversation I wear hearing protection. Trying to save what I have.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
It’s hard to avoid tinnitus working in this industry. Ear pro is better today and most folks are taking hearing conservation more serious. It started with me around 40. Covid made it worse. I’ve had colleagues mention the same.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The other issue I have to go along with the ringing is not being to hear enough of what someone is saying to fully understand what their words mean. My wife has become my interpreter. Mine have been ringing since I was 18 and working in a saw mill. Those old Homelite saws only had a spark arrester and discharged out the right side. The pitch was just perfect to make the right side of your head vibrate in unison. The bells have never stopped since those days. Never found anything that would lesson the snake hiss.

ianoz

Friend said was told to listen to classical music . He hated classical music but tried it . He moved away ,so i never found out if it worked or not .