• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Time to solve this. Moving 4k yds of dirt 1000ft.

Welder Dave

7 loads from a 953 to load a tandem truck? They must have been pretty overloaded unless it was topsoil. I can overload a tandem of moist clay in 7 buckets with a 931B. The hoe on back helps super heap the bucket.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
7 loads from a 953 to load a tandem truck? They must have been pretty overloaded unless it was topsoil. I can overload a tandem of moist clay in 7 buckets with a 931B. The hoe on back helps super heap the bucket.
Yep probably grossing 75k. Typically 5 if on road. 6 if you can't get it heaped

davejo

Is there any price point that something like this beater dump truck would make sense for the project?

It's a $20000 Cat d25d and I'm wondering what situation would justify someone buying such a thing. I'm finding this discussion interesting as I'm trying to fill in a pond and there is a stockpile of fill about 4000 feet away.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
In what I see as condition, that is a scrapyard runaway. Conventional Commercial Road type Dump truck for same money can get your money somewhat back from or at least repurpose once project done to business use, that antique, NO.

skyking1

that's a silly price for 16K hours and racing slicks.
I have worked self loading scrapers as a dump truck on sites, loading them with an excavator. Just takes a little imagination. I don't know if the elevator worked oir not, but the stones we were in were a no-go for a paddlewheel.

Shimmy1

I've resisted commenting on this thread, because without having personal knowledge of the ground conditions/soil type, any guess is purely a WAG.

That being said, I do believe 12-1500 yards per day is attainable with a 322, loading and relying on one truck is going to be a challenge. Sky is getting closer suggesting 60 loads per day, but I'd prob want to figure around 50.

When you get all these balls in the air, the minutes evaporate like spit in the fire. I struggle to believe you would be able to average much better than 12-15 minutes per ADT load. IF you are absolutely certain it will drive through the pit, then your odds are better, but you still have to make that initial cut, and loading into the bed of an ADT with a 322 from ground level is going to be a 7-8 minute ordeal, I don't care how good of an operator you are. The next problem is figuring 10 mph average speed. Unless you have bladed paths to run on, 6-7 is going to be the max after the first day, maybe sooner. Maybe you have perfect dirt to work with and this is all way to conservative, but no matter how well you preplan and figure and guesstimate and ask others for advice, the dirt will always throw you a curve ball. Good luck.

skyking1

That's why I suggested a couple of rental trucks so he can keep things moving. He has a 7 for keeping the haul roads up, which has the right price on it.
I also suggest not going nuts with the heaping loads. It often bites back on the roads. There is no free lunch to be had there.

Welder Dave

The weight of the loaded hauler might start pumping the ground like driving on a sponge and it will be impossible to keep it level. When the gravel pit brought over a 180 Volvo loader it made the ground seem like a sponge where with any of my machines it seemed really firm and solid.

fastline

The weight of the loaded hauler might start pumping the ground like driving on a sponge and it will be impossible to keep it level. When the gravel pit brought over a 180 Volvo loader it made the ground seem like a sponge where with any of my machines it seemed really firm and solid.
Bingo! Which is why I am sort of torn. Basically just trying not to waste money if I have problems and I have time to think on this project. I know I spent months on a PGA golf coarse project where we were running a 966 around. Was amazed how that ground felt so solid, yet that 966 sunk many inches. Later in engineering, I learned that soil is a spring but the "pumping" thing is largely a civil side in understanding. Basically compression of the soil squeezes any water out and can cause an otherwise stable area work well for a few cycles, but eventually go to hell. Each pass does not firm it, but makes it worse.

Most large projects that are going on around here are running scraper pans, not ADTs. I would assume largely due to the efficiency but also because they are taking elevation cuts which makes a scraper ideal. There was a small pond done at a church recently and they ran two pans with ag tractors on them. I didn't see too many complications but that is also a LOT of tires on the ground.

I haven't found anyone locally yet running ADTs for quotes but I'm sure any way I want to look at it, I will be on the hook if it doesn't run smoothly. This is mostly why I want to try to find budget toys to put on the job so I am not really out anything if it doesn't go right.

I do like the thought of the dump pile of an ADT. A scraper just can't do that. But I should not get too wound up about that aspect right now. I can shove a pile in quick order with the D7. I will have to shove the stripped top soil back up there anyway.

Welder Dave

Could maybe build up the haul route with a few loads and pack that in. Then push it out with the D7 at the end or dig it out with the hoe.

MG84

When I’m faced with a project that I’ve never done before, about 75% of the planning is done in the office, the other 25% is experimenting on the job site. I generally work by myself, the only ‘plans’ are in my head, and my overhead is pretty low so I can take that luxury when needed. I believe this is one of those types of projects.

At some point you need to pick the option you think is the most viable and try it. I’d start with something that doesn’t cost much out of pocket and get to work. I often take a little note pad and a stopwatch and get some real data on how things are going to work out such as cycle times, actual volumes in trucks, bank vs loose yardage etc. After a day or so, sometimes even a few hours, you have some real numbers you can use to figure out how to proceed.

Shimmy1

At some point you need to pick the option you think is the most viable and try it. I’d start with something that doesn’t cost much out of pocket and get to work. I often take a little note pad and a stopwatch and get e real data on how things are going to work out such as cycle times, actual volumes in trucks, bank vs loose yardage etc. After a day or so, sometimes even a few hours, you have some real numbers you can use to figure out how to proceed.
^^^^^^^This.

Hire a couple road trucks for a morning. If nothing else, have them haul the stripping. Dig up a pile of topsoil so you have a bunch to start with. Then you'll know.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
Fast line does the lake area have any wetness in the work zone? Do you have any pictures of the location?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
When it comes to estimating see if you can download a copy of the Caterpillar Performance Handbook from the web. They have a comprehensive section on dirt moving. One thing that was always provided for was that all the standard calculations were based on a 50-minute operating hour. That way all the small hiccups that always happen on any job were allowed for in the original calculation.